THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    What is the best quiter muzzle brake for a ar10 260 Remington?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best quiter muzzle brake for a ar10 260 Remington?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a 260 Remington ar10 about a month ago.It came with a tank like muzzle break with the huge holes on.the side .I wish a boss system would fit it but it's a little different thread.It's the same thread as weatherby accubrake.I don't want a silencer but want effective quiter muzzle brake if there is such a think .That why I.liked the Winchester /browning boss system you could change it to muzzle brake or same one without the holes .

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only low concussion muzzle brake I know of in 308 is the Griffin Armament FlashComp. I’ve used the 762x39 version extensively. It isn’t blasty and still provides A2 level of flash suppression.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Why have a brake on a 260 in the first place? They have very little recoil. But you can't circumvent the laws of physics; if you want maximum recoil reduction, then you must divert maximum gas rearward. Look at how a Recoilless Rifle works. Zero recoil, 100% rearward gas diversion.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muzzle brakes by their very nature to be effective will not, indeed, cannot be quiet.

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking of using a Winchester stainless boss system and it has two muzzle attachments .It should help accuracy if Set up.right .I wish this barrel was not threaded but it is that way .It has the same thread as my weatherby accumark but is different than the Winchester boss system .I do like the muzzle brake for kids to shoot it but this tank style one had to go.It's an awesome gun with a heavy stainless 260 Remington jp barrel .If it had a boss on it then it would shoot tiny groups with alot different loads .It puts lapua 155 grain mega tip bullets in less than a half inch at 100 yards .I.have not tried any other bullets with it yet .

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Suppressors or silencers are quieter muzzle brakes. Aw go ahead and buy the tax stamp and get that sucker.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
TROS and others make adapters that may mate a BOSS to your rifle's muzzle threads.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Google "shielded, shrouded or shroud" with muzzle brake

As to a question asked above as to why a brake for a .260?

Muzzle rise......and the lack of it.

Staying on target to see long range impacts through the scope.

Add in almost no felt recoil and you will see why we even run brakes on our .223 prairie dog rifles these days.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote