THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    Buy a complete AR 15, or assemble from Kit?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buy a complete AR 15, or assemble from Kit?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been agonizing over this project for several weeks now. I'd really like an AR-15 type rifle with a flat-top receiver, floated 22"-24" stainless barrel, detachable mag, and a SWEET trigger.
Should I just buy an assembled rifle, or buy a complete post-ban lower reciever and an upper with the features I want? I'm guessing I'd have to spend well over $1.3K for a whole new rifle. What could I be spending if I buy upper and lower kits?.
I'm new to AR-15s, so my next question would be; are most of the big name uppers and lowers an exact match/fit? I'm talking DPMS, Olympic Arms, Bushmaster etc. There seem to be so many options and so many parts available I'm getting a little confused. Any "clinical pearls" will be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 2497 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Albatross:
I've been agonizing over this project for several weeks now. I'd really like an AR-15 type rifle with a flat-top receiver, floated 22"-24" stainless barrel, detachable mag, and a SWEET trigger.

There are lots of these. However, the trigger that is supplied by the manufacturer may not be what you want. It is not a big deal to upgrade the trigger. Usually two pins are removed and you replace the trigger. Some manufacturers will also upgrade the trigger on request.

Should I just buy an assembled rifle, or buy a complete post-ban lower reciever and an upper with the features I want? I'm guessing I'd have to spend well over $1.3K for a whole new rifle. What could I be spending if I buy upper and lower kits?.

Like most rifles, the quality of the barrel will be reflected in the price. There are cheap, low quality SS barrels and then there are high quality SS barrels that cost more.

In my opinion, you don't save a lot buy building. The reason to build is to take advantage of all the after market goodies. You don't have to buy a complete rifle and then remove things and upgrade them. I have an old preban AR and am putting together an M4 as soon as the parts get here. To build the M4 I purchased a stripped lower, the lower parts kit, and a complete upper. All together it is actually costing me a few dollars more than what I would have payed for a similar M4 on sale. But the stock with the kit is what I wanted. The stock on the complete gun I would have removed and upgraded. I spent a little more in one respect, but saved money in the long run.

I'm new to AR-15s, so my next question would be; are most of the big name uppers and lowers an exact match/fit? I'm talking DPMS, Olympic Arms, Bushmaster etc.

If you are referring to lowers by one man. and uppers by another, yes. No problems, they attach to each other by two pins. If there is some slight movement between the two, it is easy to tighten them up.

There seem to be so many options and so many parts available I'm getting a little confused. Any "clinical pearls" will be greatly appreciated.

Assembling the lower is not difficult. There are some tricks that you should know, but you don't need anything but good knowledge and some very basic tools.

Building an upper from scratch is a different story, but I am guessing you will likely get an upper that is already assembled and ready to fit to your lower.

Make sure your upper comes with a bolt and carrier. Some places will post a real good price on the upper, but reading the fine print, the bolt and carrier, is extra.

Research. Yes there is an incredible amount of information and parts out there. The more you research, the more you learn.

If you want to PM me, I will help with anything that I can.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Albatross:
I'm new to AR-15s, so my next question would be; are most of the big name uppers and lowers an exact match/fit? I'm talking DPMS, Olympic Arms, Bushmaster etc. There seem to be so many options and so many parts available I'm getting a little confused. Any "clinical pearls" will be greatly appreciated.

Here's a good link for AR15 noobies

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=342873

I started out with a complete Stag Lower and a complete CMMG upper for my first AR. I went this route to avoid the excise tax on complete guns. This is what I recommend people buying their first AR

After that I bought the tools and I built my second AR.

Both of my AR15's cannot be bought in their present configurations. This makes building ARs a neat hobby. You probably won't save any money, but you can build some pretty cool guns in the comfort of your garage without a gunsmith.

Welcome to the disease.

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention there is another option.

You could build or buy your lower and have a custom upper built for it.

I have priced custom uppers with both of the following and was surprised at how resonable they were. Mike at Dtech has quite a rep on Varmintmasters.

Carey Rifles
Dedicated Technology

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you want a complete gun, the Rock River Arms predator persuit or varmint rifles will fit the bill. Personally I can't like a barrel longer than 20" on an AR. Velocity gains are mute, and the gun becomes noteably less handy.

Here's a pic of a predator persuit.

Another option is build the lower you want, and order an upper from White Oak Armament.

You should be able to get what you want for $1000-1200.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
If you want a complete gun, the Rock River Arms predator persuit or varmint rifles will fit the bill. Personally I can't like a barrel longer than 20" on an AR. Velocity gains are mute, and the gun becomes noteably less handy.

Here's a pic of a predator persuit.

Another option is build the lower you want, and order an upper from White Oak Armament.

You should be able to get what you want for $1000-1200.

If you order from RRA directly, they are three to six months behind. If you absolutely must have a RRA gun, it's better to find a vendor that has what you want in stock.

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, many thanks for the advice guys. I'll let you all know what eventuates.

Thanks, Albatross.

Posts: 2497 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote