Notify
Tools

Steyr Aug
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anyone own or shoot one ?

thinking of getting one.

generally dont like bullpup but I like Steyrs.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have had one since the first one came out in semi auto.
I upgraded it to flat top receiver and put a Steiner scope on it.
Shoots fine; unique rifle. Quick change barrel. Adjustable gas cylinder. Plastic hammer and trigger so don't expect a match trigger pull.

Posts: 17019 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yes, I have had one since the first one came out in semi auto.
I upgraded it to flat top receiver and put a Steiner scope on it.
Shoots fine; unique rifle. Quick change barrel. Adjustable gas cylinder. Plastic hammer and trigger so don't expect a match trigger pull.

Thanks

The trigger is what I am worried about.

If I am successful getting one I will set it up as a left hand gun.

I plan on adding this

https://store.ratworxusa.com/p...57-20-tsm-auga3-2545

I know the barrel will be super accurate (and they are cheap for Steyr barrels)

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one for awhile.

Works well but not my thing.

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They are designed as combat rifles; not supposed to have match triggers. No need to worry; they are very reliable. I see that trigger mod as a waste of money; the trigger is not that bad. They are what they are. Not a traditional rifle. Any military collector needs one.
They have left handed ejection ports, but it will need a new bolt; another $250. Otherwise you can't shoot them left handed. That would hurt.
You could cut off the gas and shoot it single shot.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have one of the first shipment to the US. sent it back when i found out they could put a crosshair or small dot in the center of the circle - that made a hellova reticle

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the microtech version of it from when they were not bringing them in.

My experience with mine and with some friend's actual AUG's is that they are not all that accurate (horrible trigger for long range) but are very ergonomic and friendly once you get used to them, especially in close quarters (in my case, short range 3 gun stages in "buildings", etc.

Posts: 10467 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They are not match rifles; they are combat rifles. That little dot in the circle is one of the best reticles for the purpose. I once hit a crow at 300 yards with mine.
For those who think it is some sort of bench rest rifle with a crisp 3 ounce trigger; don't get one.

Also consider that the barrel is not even screwed into the receiver; held by interrupted lugs and is quick detach. Not a match rifle. Not intended to be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like I won’t be getting it. Seller wanted to be paid via gunbroker pay and I don’t do electronic payments outside of credit card system and regulated banking system.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also had one of the first ones.
I had no issues, the balance is butt heavy.
I traded it for a new left hand Kimber of Oregon in 17 Remington, a good trade at the time.

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got one. now need a left handed bolt. awesome compact rifle.

Mike

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Pete is the man.

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/augusrparts.html

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a left handed bolt from Steyr.

I field stripped and completely disassembled the gun. It is super easy to disassemble.

Set it up as a left handed gun and threw a sig Romeo 7.

Was a blast to shoot.

I really like this gun and was surprised how well designed it is.

Need to build a left handed ar now.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GoWyo:
Pete is the man.

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/augusrparts.html

thanks - will keep an eye on this site.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen a fully automatic version in action. The rate of fire was easily over 1000 rpm

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Quickstrike
posted Hide Post
I installed a corvus brass deflector on mine and it can be fired from either shoulder.

https://corvusdefensio.com/sho...e-deflector/?lang=en

Posts: 72 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quickstrike:
I installed a corvus brass deflector on mine and it can be fired from either shoulder.

https://corvusdefensio.com/sho...e-deflector/?lang=en

Need to get one.

Mine is set up left handed with a trijicon scope. NevEr though I would like a bull pup.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used one in the military. easy to disassemble etc. Like lego blocks.
The ones we used were not particularly acccurate I thought, and the triggers were woeful, but they were just stock government rifles. Easy to control in full auto.
I suppose in the military you end up hating your firearms anyway.

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The ones we used were not particularly acccurate

Stock military rifles are normally not that accurate.

The vaulted Garand was spec out at 4 inches.

From what I have seen the M16 rifles are normally a lot more accurate.

My department received a few hundred M16-A1's brand new. From the US government.

I was one of the Instructors in charge of training our officers in using them.

Even with ball ammo if the shooter was doing there part. Inch to inch and half groups were very common
at 100.

The design seems to lend itself to be more accurate then most other military rifles.

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
When I had my FFL I ordered one for my dentist. It was very well made but for me being lefthanded, the bullpup design just doesn't work.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try a tavor or x95 in lh configuration. i shoot the famas in the old days and the tavor 21 is working great for me with lh config.

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I understand that Kel-Tec also offers an ambidextrous model. I want to try one out before buying, however.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote