Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money...li=BBnbfcN&ocid=iehp

Well it sounds good but who knows what will happen! coffee

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
While their stance is "admirable," someone else will just step in to fill the void.
At least there will be less chance of a good HK being used against the good guys.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that's why arms dealers have a job. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of good guys in those regions.

Plenty.

This is just like Dick's and Wal-Mart and now Florida stopping sales to 18-20 year olds in the USA.

Stupid, and purely for publicity.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
A old + dear friend is a corporal in the Round Rock P.D.here in Tx.who told me; When offered to move up in their auto rifles choice they had to go to Colt because the city fathers found the price too high for the H+K product.Of course none of the bean counters are ever on the firing line + I am not degrading Colt but lets be real here;the H+K is a superior product. Had a fellow on here several months ago that had a 91, I offered to trade him 2 M1As + 1 FN-FAL. Not interested

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had several HK's (91's & 93's)and I personally have not found them to be a superior product to a good AR rifle. Especially in the accuracy department.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulltool17:
While their stance is "admirable," someone else will just step in to fill the void.
At least there will be less chance of a good HK being used against the good guys.

Or they will pass through a third party and make two a profit, not just one.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
A old + dear friend is a corporal in the Round Rock P.D.here in Tx.who told me; When offered to move up in their auto rifles choice they had to go to Colt because the city fathers found the price too high for the H+K product.Of course none of the bean counters are ever on the firing line + I am not degrading Colt but lets be real here;the H+K is a superior product. Had a fellow on here several months ago that had a 91, I offered to trade him 2 M1As + 1 FN-FAL. Not interested

They may be mechanically superior and/or a better design but in real world LEO life 99% of long guns ride shot gun and are never used for anything but training and qualifying. Otherwise every cop car would have a hand-me-down M-60.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess that I would like one as is my memories in 1977 when I could get a 91 for $750.00 but could'nt come up with the money.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the late 70's up until now I have had a FFL or had good friends that had one and I could/can buy any firearm at dealer cost.

During the 80's up until the importation of so called assault rifles was stopped.

I handled shot and use all of them you name the ones that were imported. We would get them in shoot the heck out of them and then sell them.

I worked for a rural sheriffs department at the time and I could carry any thing I wanted.

I settled on Ruger Mini 14s for a squad rifle until I went to a state agency the issued me a M16 A1 then a M4.

As for the 308 "battle" rifles that we shot and played with.

All proved to be to big heavy for normal patrol use.

Besides one could have made money on them the only one I kind of regret selling was the Valmet 76.

Even then not really, no good way to mount optics on it and the AK safety. But is was one of the nicest pointing of them all.

Right now if I had to grab a rifle in a SHTF situation.

I would be very happy to take my Mini 14 ranch rifle or one of my AR's.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

So really no lost in not being able to buy a H@K

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my SHTF situation I would grab the Socom 16

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my SHTF situation I would grab the Socom 16

A lot better then nothing for sure.

Our DNR adopted the Socom as the rifle their wardens carry.

But it suffers from the same problem as all 7.62x51 battle rifles To heavy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is true. I remember out at Gunsite when some students doing an infiltration used M1 carbines,all do to weight. That's great for a training exercise but I'm not comfortable w/ the K.O. of the .30 carbine.The AR is certainly the best intermediary.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
My 15 is a 458 SOCOM. But as we type only my 1911 is within my reach. Use it to fight my way to the AR I guess.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thinking here... Never issued an AR at work. Only was ever issued a 686, G22, or 870 depending on what I was assigned to.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess that I would like one as is my memories in 1977 when I could get a 91 for $750.00 but could'nt come up with the money.

Thats over 3k now.
You can find them for $2000-2500

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True. In relation to that I could buy a new Ford pick up then for $6000.00.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
P. Dog, given your experience and training, I listen when you talk. What did you think about the "accuracy issue" with the Mini 14? It has always stopped me from buying one.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,I bought one of the 1st ones back in the 70's + I was not pleased with their MOA accuracy. Now the M1A + the Garand was perfect + the mini is escentially the same piece.Perhaps the aperature was too large or the front sight too wide;for whatever reason I got mediocre results.But thats been a long time ago,perhaps they have made some positive changes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
P. Dog, given your experience and training, I listen when you talk. What did you think about the "accuracy issue" with the Mini 14? It has always stopped me from buying one.

Out of the 20 or mini's I played with only had one that wasn't a 2 inch rifle.

That one was an 8 inch rifle sent it back to ruger new barrel a 2 inch or better rifle then.

I replace all the front sights on my mini's with Choate M-14 style sights and flash hiders.

The factory sight covers huge area. hard too shoot well when the sight covers 6 inches at a hundred.

Improved sight pictures greatly helped or use a scoped ranch rifle. I shot several sub-MOA groups with mine.

Ammo makes a difference also same with most rifles.

I also replaced the stocks with choate pistol grips ones.

Garand's and M-14 shoot great with extensive work.

A match Garand and a match M14/M1A are totally different animals then issued ones.

The Garand was spec out at 4 inches.

Well bed them shoot match ammo they can shoot but the average one isn't that great.

Do some improvements to the Mini it they also can shoot well.

I have AR's and Mini's if I had to grab one running out the door.

I would have a hard time deciding between my Mini ranch rifle or my AR.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
PDog: Interesting that you have had such good luck with the Mini-14s. Somewhere I thought I read that Ruger shut down the Mini-14 production line and had its engineers go through the whole process in search of possible causes of the inaccuracy issues.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Add the horrible front sight, to the fact that most people can't shoot, add that most shoot cheap ball ammo in them, add occasional really bad barrel in the early years.

All add up to the rep that they can't shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that most can't shoot. I have a range on my property w/ concrete benches,25,50 100 yd,etc. I used to give instructions. Point here is I loved to teach the women because they were receptive + willing to learn (that's why they came,right?)The men almost already thought they knew it all (so why come?)Anyway although I was set up for rifle,most folks were there for pistol + that is what I was talking about.To reiterate what I said,my complaint with the mini 14 was the sight picture.I never scoped one so I don't know if that would make a difference but I do know that Ruger does not make junk firearms.Oh,as an afterthought,I had a woman come out several years ago to train on skeet. She could'nt hit anywhere near,I gave her the test + found that she was one of the few that was right handed but left eye predominant.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Randy I have a grandson that is pretty handy with both hands but left eye dominant. Of course the hormone thing is somewhat prevalent. But he listens better than I thought he would. His Dad has done most of the teaching though. The old SOC Marine still has the force with him, but I delight in watching him to be so patient with his teen son. I have one of those Minis in question and think "What if the gubmint had chosen them as their weapon of choice"? Things would have been ironed out in that case. My Mini is minute of whatever I have aimed at, just not a target gun. Only one coyote, but an assailant in my house would not like it. Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
She could'nt hit anywhere near,I gave her the test + found that she was one of the few that was right handed but left eye predominant

It is more common then you think.

One of the first things we do in 4h rifle or shotgun is test for eye dominance.

We normally find a couple out of a class of 15.

Some can correct because they can close the dominate eye.

Others we would teach to shoot off the non dominate shoulder.

Work well if you can start them young enough..

Pistol doesn't make much difference just a little cock of the head.

Just saw a add in the rifleman or American hunter.

Showed a young lady holding an rifle right shoulder.

She is obviously left eye dominate she has her head way over the stock so she can line her left eye up with the sights.