New
Find
Notify
Tools

mosin nagant
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what are your alls thoughts and experiences with the 7.62 x 54R mosin nagant rifle.

Posts: 55 | Location: ky | Registered: 08 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
I have a M44 and I love it. Its real loud makes a big fireball and is supprisingly accurate. I have several accurate rifles that I am meticulous w/ loading for but the Mosin I just go buy cheap mil-surp ammo and just blast and laugh. All of my friends that shoot it end up w/ one. I mean you can get 440rds for $65 out of cheaper than dirt. I can keep mil-surp ammo inside of 2 inches at 50 yards w/ the sights and I am not a really skilled sight shooter. If you do buy one shoot it at dusk its pretty impressive.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i like the rifle, with only aprox. 90-95% use of right hand i can take apart the bolt and clean it, a mauser bolt is impossible. i like the look and feel of the rifle and the look of the cartridge. it is accurate, one problem is the bore size if you reload, but found .308 bullets work if you an undersize expander, i use a 30 caliber lyman "M" die and turned down the plug. i use lee dies.

One of Us
Picture of BTW5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K20350:
I have a M44 and I love it. Its real loud makes a big fireball and is supprisingly accurate. I have several accurate rifles that I am meticulous w/ loading for but the Mosin I just go buy cheap mil-surp ammo and just blast and laugh. All of my friends that shoot it end up w/ one. I mean you can get 440rds for $65 out of cheaper than dirt. I can keep mil-surp ammo inside of 2 inches at 50 yards w/ the sights and I am not a really skilled sight shooter. If you do buy one shoot it at dusk its pretty impressive.

+1

I have an unissued 1946 mfg M44, lotsafun!

------------------
/
/
/

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Posts: 493 | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
8mm Mauser is a nicer design, but the Mosin is classic and fun to shoot. I like the "long ones" -- 91/30. Still kicking myself about passing up Ruskie rifles with octagon receivers at Big 5 for about $50, 15 yrs ago.

Posts: 1005 | Location: A Little Bit Left of Karl Marx | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zedo: I bought a 91-30 last weekend at a Big Five in Idaho Falls Idaho for $65.. not that much of a price increase... great shap re-furb Tula 1938 round receiver.. Les

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K20350:

mmmmmmm fireball

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
clap My buddy says it throws a 4ft flame. Well theres the proof. I am going to add a 91/30 to the stable saturday when I get Home YAY.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote