Find
Notify
Tools

FN FAL
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted
What are the opinions of the Cetme/Century Arms versions? What about other knock offs?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3426 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
The Cetme is the original version of the H&K 91, not even close to an FN. Century Arms build quality can tend to be spotty, either you get an OK one or you don't. I have one that was a gift and it actually shoots well and has never malfunctioned. That said, if I were buying a HK clone, I would buy the PTR-91, it has a good reputation.
As to FAL's, The same thing applies when it is a Century. I seem to remember that some of the early ones might have had Imbel Receivers and if it has an Imbel marked receiver , it would be the one to get. Imbel was a Brazilian licensee of FN and is a quality forged receiver. Many of the FAL's found at gunshows are homebuilds and you have to watch and make sure that they have the requisite 10 American made parts to be legal. If you want a quality FAL, check out DSA arms, they are a top rated manufacturer. When looking at gunshows, the first thing to look for is the receiver manufacturer. Imbel, Coonan(investment cast but very good) Century's had dimensional issues at different times, again, if you get a good one, it is OK.
If the price is right, I would give one a shot, but most sellers are asking 8-1000 and I would never give that for a Century, too risky. To me, they are a $500 gun and only if I inspected it first.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2246 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
In my limited experience, if you have any plan to load your own ammo, the CETME is a poor choice. Between the fluted chamber and the proclivity for flinging your now battered and abused cases 50' or so, it wouldn't be my choice.

Your mileage may vary.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What Lee said is right.
But I do have 2 or 3 Fns built on Century receivers, and one L1A1; they work fine. Imbel receivers are the best, and so are DSA; as Lee said.
As for the CETME, and HK91; I have had both, and also a SIG-AMT. Yes they do put grooves into the brass, and yes, they to fling brass 50 feet, but the cases are definitely reloadable. They are very reliable, and very dirty as they are blow back, the rollers just slows the bolt down; they are not locked. If you have the rubber bumper, the brass won't be bent or dented.
So, get the one you want, or best, get both. They are very different rifles but highly representative of cold war military hardware. And you need an M14/M1A too.

Posts: 17011 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
And you need an M14/M1A too.

archer

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
If I were buying a 308 battle rifle and were not familiar with the different types, Hands down, I would buy a new Springfield Armory M-1A. Palmetto Arms has had the rifle version on sale lately for $1100. One of my very favorite rifles. A quality AR-10 would be next. To me, a 20" min BBL length is mandatory, as I don't want the equivalent of a hot loaded 30/30.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I forgot the AR-10; another classic old school 308. I have the first one made, from the post 1960 Arma Lite company.
Those will be the most accurate 308 semi auto, by far.

One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat a real FN FAL or Enfield or BSA L1A1.

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.

Posts: 249 | Location: Montana | Registered: 17 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the misinformation with the different makers of knock off .308 battle rifles. I have liked both the FAL and 91 for a long time.

DPCD, I agree the real thing would be better in the case of either rifle, but the cost is prohibitive for a “fun gun” in with configuration. Should I enjoy the copy, a genuine may be down the line. It’s too bad I didn’t snap one up when the time was right.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I've had an FN-FAL + I loved it. A friends son fell in love with it + I sold it to him under the condition that I could buy it back. But he loves it so much I don't have the heart to ask him. I had an H+K 91 as well,but you're right it trashes the brass.I'm pretty happy with the M1A + SOCOM.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Maybe my HK-91 clone was better or something but I never had much trouble reloading the brass. Once in a while it would nick the case mouth and I would put them aside for a time when I wanted to tinker. I still have some of those in a box.... Be Well. Packy

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
As I said, reloading the brass from the fluted chamber blow back rifles is no problem. The little marks left on them from the flutes, or even dents sometimes on them, cause no problems. I have reloaded hundreds of them.
The problem is finding them due to the distance they fling them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ismith:
Hard to beat a real FN FAL or Enfield or BSA L1A1.

Lucky enough to have one of the original Browning imports. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd,You're right about that.On my range I built a steel frame + covered it and 1 side with that greenhouse shade fabric. When shooting any of the semis,the brass hits the fabric + then just drops straight down.Lets you shoot in the shade as well.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Well, I just “won” a Century HK clone for $500. It seems like a fair deal. I’ll report back after I get it.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun + the price was right.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Sounds like fun + the price was right.

Agreed. I didn’t think my bid would get it, but boom.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your purchase! Clean and lube it and run about 100 rounds of Nato-spec ammo through it as fast as you can after sighting it in. You might as well find out how reliable the function is. Hopefully you got more than one mag with it, so if you had any feeding problems, you will know if they are mag related or not. Until about a year ago, you could get surplus, like new, H&K aluminum mags for as little as $1 each, but they have steadily been going up in price. The factory aluminums are pretty good, but the factory steel H&K mags have to be one of the toughest mags on earth and would be my first choice. Remember, mags are consumables, and you can never have enough. Prices keep rising steadily and the surplus will eventually dry up. Let us know how it shoots and how you like it! Lee.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes a follow up would be nice to hear. Also as to the magazine issue;one can only imagine what will happen if there is a change in administration in the next election.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. I will update once I get it. It only comes with one magazine, but I will likely add more. A major storm had me out of business until just not long ago.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was a bad storm. I heard on the news how bad it hit Dallas. It came down here + although the winds were 80 MPH in gusts it was no where as severe as ya'll got it.Next day was nice though with northerly winds.Welcome change.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I completed the transaction and the gun is already on its way to SWFA.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to a report.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I finally picked it up. It’s a little crude and the trigger is terrible, but I wasn’t expecting a Wiebe made gun. I need to get to the range for this one and a few others. The guys at SWFA said they are very hit or miss, echoing what was said here.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Considering the trigger/ sear assembly being a bit rough. That is what honing stones are for. You got a bird's nest on the ground; a bit of handwork fitting won't kill you.