Find
Notify
Tools

AK-47 3 position selector switch
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted
A friend is doing a build based on a 1973 Bulgarian reweld. The receiver has the normal safety, but instead of one FIRE position, it has two. I have tried researching this, to no avail; except I found a reference to 2 holes vs. 3. Three holers being capable of full auto ops. Friend says his Bulgarian has SAFE, semi-auto, and SINGLE. Anyone care to educate me?

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 592 | Location: Algona, WA | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a long response typed up and then I noticed the most important word "reweld" in your description. The original receiver was destroyed by cutting into pieces so it could be imported. A skilled welder can bring them back to life creating a "new" receiver. Unless it's a post sample the hole for the auto sear should have been welded up.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hizzie.

It appears that you are saying the rifle in question is NOT capable of full auto operation without this 3rd hole.

Where does the 3rd hole normally appear?

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
For clarity's sake- here is a Bulgarian AK with identical markings. I count 3 pins and 1 rivet.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The third pin hole is for the auto sear which allows FA.

Stamped vs milled but shows the difference. http://www.southernoutdoorlife...s/mak90web/mak90.htm

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your idea of single MAY be where full auto would be if the part was installed , without it the hammer MAY be following the bolt home , resulting in a single shot . Easy way to find out is to look at the chambered round that doesn't fire , look for a very light strike or the hammer is not cocked .
3 holed receivers are machineguns .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote