THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    Why do so many AR shooters blast away at a target 10 yards away?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do so many AR shooters blast away at a target 10 yards away?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that many may be training for using it as a personal protection weapon and preparing for that type of scenario. Any firearm used for personal protection should be trainings with thoroughly as it is said that you shoot like you train. Shooting someone at several hundred yards is not generally considered self protection in today’s civilian world but up close and personal attacks are common.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter

Not every body grew up in a hunting shooting family.

So TRUE!! May look like idiots to us but they have the desire to show up & try. I don't mind picking up their brass either I have never purchased a loaded 223 or 308 round Wink Lots of these guys are FIRST TIMERS AT THE RANGE so rather than piss & moan about what they don't know or what they do, how about us old fucks show them the correct way? tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had given up on public rifle ranges. Too many 'para-military' knuckle heads blasting away. Even with a stern range master I don't like being in front of the firing line.

I built a 100 yard range with berm and bench on my place and if I feel the need to shoot at longer ranges i just go through my gate into the National Forest and I have all the space i would ever need. Life is good.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayman216:
I think that many may be training for using it as a personal protection weapon and preparing for that type of scenario. Any firearm used for personal protection should be trainings with thoroughly as it is said that you shoot like you train. Shooting someone at several hundred yards is not generally considered self protection in today’s civilian world but up close and personal attacks are common.
That's exactly why I do it, and why I've trained my wife to do it.

If I want to shoot at hunting or varmint ranges, I have scoped, very accurate rifles to do so. But those weapons are not terrific for home protection.

Handguns are great, and I carry one always. But for home protection, I'm going with my AR: I want 30 rounds of semi-auto because I don't know how many people might be invading if (God forbid) an invasion happens. Nor do I know whether or not they might be all coming from the same direction or whether or not they might be high on drugs.

I do not want a fair fight.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I don't get it. I was at the range yesterday to test loads for a .375, shoot my weekly 10 rds of .223 offhand at 100 and take my 20 .45 ACP shots at 25.

Two guys were shooting pistols at 10 yards, which is common; almost no one seems to shoot handguns past that distance. But then they got out their ARs and just pumped round after round into their target.

What is the attraction? Noise?

I see this all the time at the local range. Not quite as close as 25 yards; usually 50 yards. Average groups are something around 10-12". That's using the bench. They like to make a lot of noise. I'm sure there are certain imaginary scenarios involved with that. It's no wonder that there isn't any ammo available with all they burn up.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
well for whatever reason, it does help the firearms industry.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Quickstrike
posted Hide Post
Maybe they keep an AR for home defense and would like to practice for rapid close range shots? Good for remembering about the sight height over bore, etc... Not all shooters hunt.

Try shooting fast sometimes, it's fun.

Nobody instinctively shoot slow at typical defensive distances (watch cop videos), so you better be used to going fast sometimes.

quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:

I see this all the time at the local range. Not quite as close as 25 yards; usually 50 yards. Average groups are something around 10-12". That's using the bench. They like to make a lot of noise. I'm sure there are certain imaginary scenarios involved with that. It's no wonder that there isn't any ammo available with all they burn up.

I do dislike those who will make noise just for the sake of it also. Just because I'm trying to push the speed a little bit, there will usually be some doofus just cranking off rounds to try and one up. They must not have noticed the difference between trying to place shots into a post-it note at 5-7 yards vs. the same with a huge life-sized target (or no target at all). Confused

Posts: 72 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Home defense? Please; this is sheer nonsense; you guys do realize that a 223 will go through sheetrock walls and kill Grandma, right?
Every young guy, and many old ones, here, blast away with their new AR, many hitting nothing, but having fun. I presume. And yes, leaving lots of free brass. The big thing here, is supressed ARs, and the 350 Legend; they do hunt deer with them, and can't handle any recoil.
Face it, it ain't 1960 any more, and the days of wood stocked bolt actions, are over. Go into any gun shop and tell me how many you see. I was just in one yesterday; the answer is two.

Posts: 17040 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Quickstrike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Home defense? Please; this is sheer nonsense; you guys do realize that a 223 will go through sheetrock walls and kill Grandma, right?

This is a myth.

https://gripknife.com/blog/why...penetration-testing/

https://www.pewpewtactical.com...nse-overpenetration/

Just don't be using greentip or FMJ and grandma should be okay. tu2 223/5.56 fly so fast with such light projectiles that better designed rounds can break up when striking walls and such, minimizing overpenetration.

With drywall, let's be honest. Anything effective for home defense can go through that. Heck even PeeWee Herman's enraged fists can so...

Using a carbine equipped with a red dot feels like cheating compared to a pistol. heheh

Posts: 72 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

I dimly remember how the Devastator rounds were marketed, but I also think I remember reading that they were actually designed for indoor defense. They were supposed to disintegrate instead of going through the wall. John Hinckley was probably unaware of this.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14328 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, as I have commented before, the best home defense weapon is a 12 G. pump. The odds are that you will never have to use it, as that sound of the racking slide is the same in any language. If you do have to fire, then you are covered; but hopefully you will not have to, as that sound is a great deterrent, + Heaven knows, none of us really want to have to shoot anyone + deal with the after repercussions; not to mention the mess on the carpet or tile.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
oh yeah just ya'll wait until a pack of ugly walking dead circle you and all you have is a 30-30!! some peoples children! jumping

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Devastator rounds

I have a brand new box of them maybe two

Posts: 19308 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote