New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR15 Butt Stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a Ruger 556 from a friend who wanted something else more. It is the model that has the non collapsible butt stock for sale in restricted states. I want to put a collapsible stock on it and am looking for recommendations on what to buy. I have no experience with AR rifle stocks so I'm in the dark. Any suggestions would be gratly appreciated.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magpul has some excellent options and Vltor has many as well. LMT SOPMOD is good, but overprices IMHO.

Then again, it seems just about all the good stocks are overpriced.

If battle rifle, I really like the Magpul ACR. Very light, feel good, looks good, plane ol works.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My bad! CTR not ACR killpc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then again, it seems just about all the good stocks are overpriced

That's been my delimma. I'd like to upgrade mine, but there is no way I'm going to spend $250.00 on a buttstock.

What would you say is the best midprice alternatives? What works, but won't break the bank?

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CTR is like $69 but its really a battle rifle stock.

Vltor has some good collapsable stock that are conducive to accurate shooting off a bench and can do well for a combat rifle. I have one on a 6.8 and its good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the CTR but now I don't know if I need some parts to use it since my gun has a non collapsible stock now. I'm going to call Magpul tomorrow to see what I need. I don't know if I need a buffer tube, spring etc. Hell, I don't know what they are let alone if I have them! Thanks for your help.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
ive got the factory pull-off from a smith/wesson m15, not using it, its' buffer tube, spring, everything... i dont need it, i pull standard furniture on mine, want it???

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2824 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in the S&W stuff. Please let me know what you want for it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
VLTOR A5, unquestionably.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll need a buffer, buffer tube, spring, and a Magpul MOE stock is cheaper if you don't need a sling mount or lock. I think you can buy the whole thing as a kit for about $100-$110.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aren't the ACRs under a recall?

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Magpul ACS and am quite happy with it, it does weigh more than some of the other options, which helps balance out my barrel heavy ar and it has storage for batteries and misc.. It also has the double lock, so no rattles. A careful shopper can find it and tube, spring, buffer for about $130. Remember many of these stocks come in two sizes, commercial and milspec, so you need to use the coresponding buffer tube.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sportster: No recalls according to Ruger for this item. Recalls on a couple pistols and an old one on the 77 triggers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sputster,

the Bushmaster ACR rifles are under recall, iirc.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote