THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    Accuracy minded AR shooters, where are you at?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy minded AR shooters, where are you at?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
Accurate AR's, this has become my latest passion.

I've owned more than a few military rifles over the years. M1's, a M1 carbine, SKS', AK's, a FN FAL and a few chrome lined AR's. I always' enjoyed going to my favorite shooting spot and blazing away with these weapons. I never gave much thought about their accuracy, just as long as they kept firing when I squeezed the trigger I was a happy camper. I never kept a large collection of these guns. I would buy a few and play with them for a while then sell them off and try something new.

A few years ago when surplus ammo supplies started drying up I stopped messing around with these guns. With the exception of the AK's it just cost too much to shoot them the way I did. I sold off the majority of my collection earlier this year. Having some extra fun $$$ in my pocket I decided to try one of these AR's built with accuracy as the main objective. After a little research I settled on a Sabre Defence Competition standard rifle. Man, these things are more addicting than cigarettes! It just amazes me how accurate a semi auto rifle can be. My rifle is an honest 1/2 MOA gun and sometimes I get .3's out of it. I now have a copy of black magic that I'm tearing though at every opportunity and have a White Oak Armament target upper on order. I kept one AK because I still enjoy blasting, but these target AR's sure have my attention right now. I haven't tried shooting in any competitions yet but I'm considering it.

I would love to hear from anybody else doing this.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of fun with mine. I'm getting ready to send an upper off to John at White Oak Armament for a new match barrel and maybe do some long range shooting with it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Here is mine when it was set up just for punching paper. It's good for 5 shots then the barrel gets whippy. Removing the can helps.

I've put a smaller scope it now and pretty much plan on using this one as a walking varmint gun. I ordered a WOA upper about a month ago that should be here any day now. It has the heavy barrel and I have another lower with the heavy Magpul PRS target buttstock that I plan on using with it. I've installed a JARD 1.5lb trigger in it and man is that thing light! I haven't decided what I'm going to use for optics yet.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a 243 WSSM with a 1-10 twist Shilen barrel built by Carey Custom Rifle Co.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I bought a Colt Delta Elite H-Bar a dozen years ago that still shoots 1/2 to 3/4 MOA for 10 rounds. I'm astounded at how many ARs and AR clones shoot that well. I'm waiting for the dough to get a 308 next.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i bought a ar-1o for my 50th bday... with winchester military grade ammo, it gets 1 big ragged hole at 50... its topped with a simmons 44 mag 4-12x50.... very nice, easy-to-shoot rifle...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
As for the AR15 being used for an accurate shooting, match that is, have been shooting Across the Course or NM matches for quite some years now and for a while the only rifle to use was the M1A/14 and it is a superb rifle in all respects. Of course the military was forced to eventually use the 16 in matches and others started using the 15 or as often called "the mouse gun..." and it was an eye opener to say the least. The eventual developments/improvements in the 15 rifle have really brought it to the forefront in match style shooting and not only due to the accuracy ability, but in rapid fire the recoil is so much less than the 308 or 06 it does not give you the problems associated with recoil. Lots of new shooters with lower classifications as Marksman and Sharpshooter soon jumped up to Expert or beyond. With a 7 or 8 twist barrel, 77gr or 80gr bullets the 15 will compete right with the M1A/14 at the 600 yard line. If you have not had the experience would encourage visiting a High Power match somewhere and the performance of the Service Rifle style 15's, peep sights only, at 2,3, and 600yds is quite impressive.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toad5906
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
I bought a Colt Delta Elite H-Bar a dozen years ago that still shoots 1/2 to 3/4 MOA for 10 rounds. I'm astounded at how many ARs and AR clones shoot that well. I'm waiting for the dough to get a 308 next.

Do you mean you get this group for the first 10 rounds only?
mine consistently shoots 1/2 MOA with Sierra Matchking 69 grains with the original 1/7 barrel twist.

Posts: 251 | Location: around the pond | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
I bought a Rock River NM A2 last Feb. Off bags it's an MOA gun with irons and an honest 1/2 MOA gun with a scope atop the carry handle. The original idea was just to have an AR for plinking but it evolved into High Power competition. Of all the disciplines I've tried, this on takes the cake.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad5906:
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:

Do you mean you get this group for the first 10 rounds only?
mine consistently shoots 1/2 MOA with Sierra Matchking 69 grains with the original 1/7 barrel twist.

Probably not, I just never seem to shoot groups bigger than 10. It's mostly a hunting rifle. My prefered load (I never really needed to try another) is 26.5 gr. (I think, using memory but I do remember it is the service load listed in the front of an older Sierra manual) VV N-135 and the 53 gr Sierra bthp.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two. One is a 24-incher that can't hit a pietin at 50 yards (shoots groups just over 1 inch at 100 yards). The other needs two more rounds shot through it before it will have had its ten "break-in" rounds run down the tube. Both are A3s. Both have fluted, stainless heavy barrels. Both have 10-40X scopes. Both have Shrewd muzzle brakes. Both have fluted, ventilated, free-float barrel tubes. The 24-incher has the stock trigger with lightweight springs, a form-fiting lead slug in the stock and the one-inch stock extender from DPMS. The other is a 16-incher with a JP Enterprises two-stage, adjustable trigger set to the lowest tripping travel I can get. It will also get the lead slug and the stock extender in time. I built both guns myself from parts bought at shows and through the mails.

Have any of you ever paid $13 for that D-fender ring they sell to tighten up your extractor against the case rim? Don't waste your money. Go to your local hardware store and pay 39 cents for a #41 o-ring. It fits perfectly and does exactly the same thing as the nationally-advertised brand...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an H-bar Bushmaster, floated 16" bbl. 6x Redfield scope on it, and a cheek piece to raise the comb for the scope. Before that I had a Colt -- pretty much the same config, 'cept no scope. The Colt had some sort of funky "issue" with the barrel/receiver mounting and was hard to keep in a 9" pie plate at 50 yds. Yeah, it got returned to the dealer.

Bushmaster was accurate enough. But I just somehow can't warm up to .223 Rem.

I had a Rem. 700 PSS, re-chambered to .223 Ackley, all sorts of Sinclair accurizing features for the "match grade" reloads. I was pushing past 3,000 fps too.

Pretty much "went the other direction" -- more into 45/70 and .458 Win. Mag. these days.

-- Mausers, Mosins, and dare I say it . . . AK's.

Posts: 1005 | Location: A Little Bit Left of Karl Marx | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
AR's have spoiled me. None of my bolt guns have the kind of consistent accuracy that AR#1 can get.

My other AR

AR#3 is in a box waiting for a 6.8SPC barrel and bolt.

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote