Notify
Tools

50 Beowulf
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted
Hello

Anyone play with the 50 beowulf on an AR platform.
Looks like ultimate big bore AR.
Barrel will arrive next week.

Fun will ensue.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend at work has been playing with one for a year or so. They are quite the thumper. Ideal for woods deer hunting if that's your intention. Would be good for hogs too I imagine but other than hunting, I can't think of much more use for it.

Matt

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They really are fun! Basically a semi auto .45-70 (normal loads) energy wise.

Posts: 519 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one, lots of fun shooting jugs and the like. It is also interseting seeing people's reaction to it. I ouht everyone would have heard of it by now but most people are amazed and shocked. I have even had a few people afraid to even shoot it.

I have not hunted with it and probably will not but it would hammer pigs and deer no problem.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed a few deer and a few pigs with a 458 SOCOM. I have taken bobcat, coyotes and turkeys as well.

Longest shot was on a big pig at 155 yards [lasered]. It works great. I really like it, as on the AR15 platform it is light and handy, accurate and reliable.

It is one of my favorite walking/stalking pig guns, along with my Heym 26B O/U in 30/30...

I would not hesitate to use it on black bear over bait, or even elk in thick timber.

The 50 Beowulf should be just as good.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, which is very little, since this is a sample of one. I bought a 50 Beowolf upper at the same time I bought a 450 Bushmaster rifle. While certainly accurate enough for pig and reasonably close range work(which is what it's for)(approx 2+ inches at 100 yds), the Bushmaster was so much more accurate that I haven't used the 50 at all.

All things considered (bullet choices/availability among them), I'd buy the 450 or a .458 Socom before a 50 BW. But hey, it's all fun, and it's your money and your choice.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can say I have been well pleased with the 458 SOCOM.

It is very easy to load for.

I have killed deer and pigs with the 300gr Remington HP, the 300gr Hornady HP, and the 325 Hornady Lever Evolution bullets.

I have recovered some of each, all kill real well.

I like the 325 LE bullet the best.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
FWIW, which is very little, since this is a sample of one. I bought a 50 Beowolf upper at the same time I bought a 450 Bushmaster rifle. While certainly accurate enough for pig and reasonably close range work(which is what it's for)(approx 2+ inches at 100 yds), the Bushmaster was so much more accurate that I haven't used the 50 at all.

All things considered (bullet choices/availability among them), I'd buy the 450 or a .458 Socom before a 50 BW. But hey, it's all fun, and it's your money and your choice.

Gatogordo, you must have got some bad ammo. I have owned a .50 Beowulf since they first came out. I reload for mine and it is very accurate, it will do just over an inch at 100 yards with a 1-4x NF scope. I like to use the 335's for practice and the 350's for hunting.

I consider this a 150 yard rifle. Its extremely reliable and It drops hogs like they were struck by lightning. I like having 3500 grains of lead in one 10 round magazine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years back I loaded 100 rounds of 50 Beowulf for a buddy of mine. 500gr hornady XTP, reloader 7, and averaged 1412fps at 10'. Perfect for following wounded bears into the alders.

Steve

Posts: 182 | Location: On the Yentna River, Ak. | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just built a 458 SOCOM with a Green Mountain 1-18tw cut rifled blank on an AR platform and I must say it's a hoot. So far the 325gr Hornady Flex tips are shooting the best at about 1" and 1625 fps. I also loaded up some Barnes original 300gr 45-70 spitzers and the Hornady 250gr Monoflex which are just over 2000fps and I think they'll do a very fine job. Really makes for a lightweight, handy rifle good for 150-200 yards that should thump any deer or hog with good results.

I like it well enough I'm going to use the other half of the 35" GM blank for an 18" lightweight on a model seven action and ar15 bottom metal.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote