New
Find
Notify
Tools

Improve PSL
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This weekend I got to shoot a buddy's PSL - Romanian simile to the SVD. Following instructions from Dragunov.net, I was able to adjust the LPS 4x scope so it would zero properly and pretty much make hits at 100, 200, and 300 yards when set at '1', '2', and '3' (those settings are actually meant for meters). It is not terribly accurate, though, and I wonder about how it could be improved.

Probably the first thing would be to remove the bipod mount that is mounted to the barrel behind the gas port - think that would help?

The second would be to remedy the trigger, which is typically creepy and has a good slap to it. Would this use a G2 trigger similar to the AKs? Comparing parts (without tearing it down) they look quite similar.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My recommendation to accurize ano AK type sniper rifle is to do the following;

Complete disassembly
thoroughly clean and and lube
reassemble
take to nearest gun shop
trade for a modern bolt gun in 6mm to 30 cal

Seriously, those guns (Dragunovs in general) are not readily "tuneable" due to the basic design, QA/QC and construction.

Best

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a good solution. I don't own the rifle, so it was just interesting to shoot. I am just glad to get hitting right for my friend - when my son and I set it up at 25 meters, the first three rounds shot six inches to the left of center. Then when we set a target at 100 yards, the elevation dial wouldn't adjust down far enough to make center hits. I could see why my buddy was not hitting squat with it.

But not to worry; we had brought out good printed info from Dragunov.net, and got the dials readjusted so it makes good basic hits at the right ranges.

This was just something interesting to do, I already have more accurate 30 cal bolts and semi's. You speak the truth.

sputster

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
First and foremost,

what ammo are you using? SVT and Tiger/Dragunovs tend to be more accurate than most people expect

I have been known to pulldown the yellow tipped 440 round packs and use them as primed brass and pulled bullets, using GOOD powder...

in other words, tear the milsurp ammo down and use the METAL components, not the VARIOUS powders you will find in the ammo

weigh the bullets -- group them into decent weights.. if you think the paint weighs too much, that's just a trip through a solvent bath to remove

find good load data, and back off that "Some" .. you aren't looking for highest vels , you are looking for 1: SAFE loads in an autoloader, and 2: consistent loads..

this should have a 218 yard "zero" ....

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38411 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was using 148gr. Wolf FMJ's, no steel in them I imagine as they didn't stick to a magnet. My friend that owns the rifle doesn't reload, so basic adjustments to the rifle might be as far as he will go. I appreciate the advice about using the brass and bullets that way; might try it in another caliber.

sputster

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been always satisfied with the PSL I shot

I manufactured precision ammunition that was distributed in France, based on Lapua cases, Lapua "D 46" projectiles, VV powder, RWS Primers and for a governement order (Police use) Sierra Matchking, SNPE powder and CCI BR primers, CIP Agreement DCB 95/2003

PSL is a false Dragunov since its frame is the one derived from the LMG "FPK".

Trigger is typically russian, a long course and a peculiar breaking, nothing in common with the westerners' two stage trigger or a direct trigger.

Accuracy is usually good but there is no real "precision grade" or "Match grade" in former Warsaw Pact countries.

Handloads reduce the dispersion by half compared to service grade ammunition.

Romanian rifles are more constant in quality than soviet/russian rifle but a selected SVD can match a good bolt rifle around a MOA.

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../7811043/m/449107067

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
take a look at the red star arms trigger. its fully adjustable and makes a huge difference. i went so far as to put a heavier barrel on mine and i really dont think it was worth the effort. the barrel harmonics are a well documented issue. im not sure what the fix is for this other than experimentation with loads. i have heard rumors about the mass of the bayonet being attached helping. maybe a weighted tuner? the best accuracy i ever managed with it was with a box of norma 150grn soft points. the issue sniper ammunition in this caliber (7n1 or now 7n14?)is as i recall a 150grn. good luck!

Posts: 11 | Location: Indy | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since it is my friend's rifle I am not going to replace major parts like the barrel, but a trigger replacement sounds in order. I wouldn't doubt that working up better ammo would be a positive start. I had been reading on the Dragunov forums that the PSL, as Edmond mentions, is formed from the FPK receiver (RPK machine gun?), originally designed around the 7.62x39mm round. Numerous individuals there caution not to exceed 150gr bullet weight, as long term use of the heavier (174gr) bullets can lead to stress damage to the receiver.

sputster

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
My PSL put 3 hits on an E type at a measured 600 yards and seems to be able to do it consistently. I shoot the Czech silver tip. Very good ammo.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote