Notify
Tools

Best milled semi-auto AKs ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
This admittedly is not my field.
Which milled AKs are considered among the best?
Also, what about the Century Arms VZ58? Thanks.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you without a doubt which is the best. I can say if I was in the market for a milled AK-47 style rifle I would be looking at an Arsenal SAM7R Bulgarian rifle. They are well built and they hold thier resale value extremely well. After owning quite a few lower quality AK rifles I've come to appreciate Arsenal rifles.

I have owned a SAM7R in the past and other than the weight I really liked it. I own a SGL-20 (Russian made) that is the stuff. Nicest and most accurate AK I've ever owned. Well built and shoots great but it's stamped so I guess I'm getting off subject rotflmo

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry, I'll look into both.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Arsenal/Bulgarian....no question. You can find others (rewelds or older chinese models that have been de-banned) but I don't see the point of all that when a Bulgy can be had right out of the box.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Polish.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Valmet... But good luck finding one..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I ended up with a Century Arms VZ2008 (VZ58), not really an AK, but pretty nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can locate one the Chinese MAK 90 would be a real find, not to mention they have the best trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Current production? Arsenal SAM7SF.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
I've owned several milled receiver AK's in the last 15 years. The first was a "Blue Ridge" gun in 7.62x39 that was a nice rifle, though the furniture was a "little ratty." I only sold it as I was offered a price I could not refuse.

The second is an "Iron Clad Armory" gun in 5.45x39. I would avoid one of those like the plague.

http://www.sandygunworks.com/A...nCladArmoryAK74.aspx

I would recommend an Arsenal made rifle of the model you prefer. I have one of their SLR 104-34 rifles that I purchased recently and it is a top quality firearm. So far I like it very much. I've not needed any factory support, but I'm told Arsenal stands behind their products 100%. And after owning several other AK's made by others (other than those already mentioned) I've learned that the extra dollars spent, is worth the expense.

There are a whole lot of crappy rifles out there as the AK is relatively easy to build and most folks aren't the "mechanic" they believe they are. My opinion.

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin, July 4 1776
Lost once in the shuffle, member since 2000.

Posts: 199 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote