Find
Notify
Tools

High Power Shooters?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted
Any of you shoot high power? I just got into it recently at my local sportsmen's club-what a blast (pun intended). All of our shooting is at 100 yds at SR-1, SR-21, and MR-31 targets. Our matches consist of 5 sighters, 20 shots slow fire off hand, 20 shots rapid fire sitting, 20 shots rapid fire prone, and 10 shots slow fire prone. I was just curious to see who else shoots high power and what the format of some other clubs is.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I started my High Power career in the same manner. Try to find registered matches in your area that consist of the National Match Course of Fire

3 minute prep period, 2 Sighters in two minutes, 20 rounds for record single load offhand @ 200 yards in 20 minutes

3 minute prep period, 2 Sighters in two minutes, fire 10 rounds for record with 1 reload from standing to sitting in 60 seconds (Twice)at 200 yards

3 minute prep period, 2 Sighters in two minutes, fire 10 rounds for record with 1 reload from standing to prone in 70 seconds (Twice)at 300 yards

3 minute prep period, 2 Sighters in two minutes, 20 rounds for record single load prone @ 600 yards in 20 minutes

These matches are great. Wait until you get on a 1000 yard range. You also live close to Camp Perry. National Matches are in July-August. Welcome to the world of High Power.

BTW what are you shooting?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I coach a high school high power team here in Arizona. I also help coach (all of the aduts here help coach) the Arizona Junior High Power Team. (National champs 16 times).
We normally shoot our competitions at 200, 300, and 600 yards. Some ranges are only out to 500 yards. The competitions that we shoot are either the 80 shot with sighters match or the "leg" matches that are 50 shot matches with no sighters. Most every weekend you can find a match here in the state and they may vary from the ones mentioned above to some matches that are 60 shots plus sighters at 600 matches etc.
Let me know if I can be of service to you, meanwhile we have a good website that you might want to check out http://www.arizona.rifleshooting.com
Try it out. Keep shooting.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
Mike-
With the exception of the range and sighters (we fire five before the match begins-I assume because the range does not change throughout the course of fire) this is the format of our matches. There is a club about an hour away that does hold matches exactly in the format you describe. Next season I'll be sure to make it out there-I wanted to stay in my "comfort zone" until I got the hang of it.

The goal at my first match was not so much to shoot a great score or even to be competitive. But rather to make it through the entire course of fire without having the entire match halted as a result of something I was doing wrong. I did indeed make it and shot a (in my mind) respectable 585-4x out of 700 (84.5%). I'm second match I won my division, came in 5th overall and made Sharpshooter with a 627-11x. I recently followed that up with a 656-13x (93.7%). My not quite ready to sit down next to David Tubb yet, but I think I'll try my luck at Camp Perry next year-it sounds like a lot of fun anyway.

quote:
BTW what are you shooting?

I shoot a Rock River NMA2 and a hand loaded 69 gr Sierra Match King over 25.3 gr of Varget and a Federal GM205M.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Mighty fine shooting, congratulations.

You may try some 80 grain SMK for when you head to the 600 line next year. Good shooting and it worth going to Perry at least once, stay in a hut (I guess they are still using the huts it has been a couple of years since I was there) and enjoy the whole experience.