Notify
Tools

Your Favorite AR scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted
What are your favorite AR scopes?

I am using a Shepard 3 x 9 on my Accuracy Speaks HB and that reticle closely matches drop for 75 grain 223 out to 900 yards (farthest I have shot).

On my short barrel Bushmaster I am using an Acog but dont like it.

Am considering moving an $1800 Swarovski 1.1 x 6 over from one of my DGR's but it does not have target knobs. Love the FOV and magnification range however.

What are you guys using and why?

PS I dont want a scope that needs an extended base and hangs rings over hand guard.

And I dont need to clear a laser sight so lowest mounting is OK.

Why are so many serious shooters going to the 1-4 Schmidt and Bender? It has target knobs but its only 4 X?

(And it cost $2,500 bucks).

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy the S&B 1-4 Short dot is being used for several reasons.

First it is very rugged, it can function as a red dot sight, and then you can crank up to 4x for sistance shooting. It has a good reticle as well as good adustments in the knobs.

I have shot a couple of them, they are a good "combat" scope but for some "sporting purposes" I would prefer more power.

I have shot several turkeys with a 4X scope on an AR, but they were either called in up close or within 100 yards or so.

For the AR take a look at the Leupold 2.5-8 Mark IV. I much prefer the one with the BDC.
I have one on a 308 and It works very good.

Also the Night Force 2.5 to 10 would be worth a look, it is compact as well.

Put it in good QD rings and have a red dot for up close and you will have a good system.

What is it about the ACOG that you do not like? Which one do you have?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for feedback.

I have used the 4 x 32 SOCOM site with back up peep and thick front post for some time. Had it rebuilt once at no cost from factory, who were great to deal with. Also used the larger 3.5 X with 762 reticle on an M60E3 machinegun quite a bit.

I dont care for the 4 x 32 because you have to mount it on the last weaver rail to get anything like a normal cheek weld. If you install a back up metallic site you have to move it so far forward that you really have to crawl the stock. It is just not too forgiving of eye relief. As a result it is not as quick to shoulder, aim and fire as metallic sites and way behind a red dot. (At least for me). On the plus side, I have used the ranging reticle out to 600 yards and even though it is calibrated in meters for M855, it works pretty well on my 600 yard rifle range with a variety of ammo. The illuminated reticle is small but effective. Being used to hunting and target scopes, it is not especially bright. It is of course compact, light weight, and appropriate size for an AR.

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at the same Leupolds & Nightforce scopes NE 450 mentioned. Trying to justify the $1400 for the Nightforce, but haven't checked with the gun store on his price yet. I have a bunch of Leupolds, never failed me, and have a fail safe warranty; for 8-9. I've spent a thou on scopes before but never went any higher.

Are my old eyes going to see the difference or improvement if I went with Nightforce over Leupold. Going on a 338 fed AR-10 Armalite; used for hunting at low light levels.

You see all those tv guys with S&B's, I also want to know why they are worth the high bucks.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
At the other end of the price range.

Bushnell Elite 3200 10x. Good glass and good repeatable adjustments.

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My AR is a secondary weapon. Varmints inside 300 yds and an alternate to the Rem 700 ( while letting the barrel cool) and insurance for Zombies. Didn't want to spend a lot so went for Nikon's M-223 2-8x32. choice of other configs. and reticles. Nikon quality optics, very nice.

Bill

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
450 NE,

Thanks for advice. I have checked out the 2.5 x 8 w illuminated reticle and BDC, and it does appear to be alot of scope for the money. And still fits on an AR upper.

Andy

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mekong:
My AR is a secondary weapon. Varmints inside 300 yds and an alternate to the Rem 700 ( while letting the barrel cool) and insurance for Zombies. Didn't want to spend a lot so went for Nikon's M-223 2-8x32. choice of other configs. and reticles. Nikon quality optics, very nice.

I hate Zombies, they have disgusting dietary habits and they smell really, really bad. I keep 2 ARs and a Sig 556 handy for Zombie defense. Do you find headshots or body shots to be most effective?

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cane Rat,

I find the adam's apple shot the most visually stunning.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Cane Rat,

I find the adam's apple shot the most visually stunning.

Rich

Rich,

I'll bet that shot is fantastic with something like a lightweight V-Max, I guess you would want to keep some distance to prevent being showered with smelly Zombie spatter.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Leupold 3-9X33 Compact w/or w/o AO for AR platforms gets my nod.
The 2.5-8 or 2-7 Leupy's work well also & won't break the bank.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold VXII 1-4.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swarovski Z6i 1(true 1x) x 4.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out U.S. Optics model SN 4 1.5x6 scope.
Priced in 1200.00 range and it will compare with about any of them for overall ruggedness and performance. Their mount system is quick and sure I might add. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
The new Leupold 1.1-8 looks pretty neat, but $4000?

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody see one of those Leupold CMR2 reticles? I think it's on a 1.5 X 5. I have an acog with ghost ring and I really like it for pull up bang. I'm going to take a look at one of those leupolds, figure they probably are around 8-9 hundred.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sam308:
The new Leupold 1.1-8 looks pretty neat, but $4000?

I agree...... A bit on the pricey side!

But it's the ultimate glass for the AR15/10 type of rifle! They're SWEEEEET!

I've seen them for $3,500 and I'm hoping they'll come down a bit more in the future.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW ... you guys are SERIOUS about the scopes on your ARs!

Am afraid that while I will put better money in the scope on a bolt rifle, the ARs get either dot sights (5.56) or cheapie scopes (6.8 and 300 WTF) ... usually Burris Full Field IIs or the equivalent Pentax Pioneer.

I do have one heavy barrel 20" AE fitted with a Leupold 6.5-20x with target turrets that I use for longer range varmint hunting.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A leupold MK4 1.5x5 on my carbine a leupold vx3 4.5x14 on my varmint AR

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stuck my spare Loopy 2.5-8X AO on the M4. Works about as far as I can shoot a 223.

I think an older 4-12X would be about perfect. I got 223 and 308 boltguns that will accurately reach a lot farther than I can find targets in the field.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like a little more power on my AR because I like to shoot small things far away.

Have a 4-16x Sightron on one now. Next will be either a 24x or a 32x.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint Comp M2. Kind of limits the range though.

I had thought about one of the 1x4s...

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote