Find
Notify
Tools

i want a 7.62x39 upper
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
i see that DPMS offers a 7.62x39 upper, but have been told that it will not function properly on the wolf laquer coated ammunition... as i have several cases of this stuff, i'd like to shoot it, in something other than my mini-30...ive also been told that the colt barrels/uppers will handle the wolf ammo.... so how do i start???...recommend some reading info???... thanks, jim

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2824 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a comment on Wolf ammo... Since the AR uses a gas impingement system, keeping things clean is necessary to proper functioning of the rifle. The laquer coating on Wolf 223 AND 7.62 ammo has been a problem for lots and lots of people. Some of the AR makers have banned Wolf and other Russian ammo from their rifles. Other AR makers are saying use US-made ammo only.

If you want to shoot cheapo Wolf ammo, I would respectfully suggest an AK. I have AKs that will shoot 2" at 100 yards from sandbags with iron sights (!!!!!). That's darned good. And those are Romanian rifles.

Otherwise I think you will be scrubbing hard to get melted and re-solidified laquer off all of your AR internals. Just IMO.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good advice.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolf no longer lacquer coats their ammo -- which of course doesn't affect the lacquer coated Wolf ammo you already have. The "new" coating is like Teflon or similar.

I shoot the lacquered stuff in an AK all the time. Never a problem. Ten Zillion Muslim terrorists must have it right?

Posts: 1005 | Location: A Little Bit Left of Karl Marx | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolf is dirtier than a Chicago Democrat. It will require copious amounts of energy expended on cleaning after you use it. The lacquer probably does not get into the gastube; what it does is melt a bit and stick to the inside of the chamber, causing breeching and extraction failures. Maybe you should donate your Wolf to me so I can get rid of it for you-- with help from my AK. It's just a thought. I'm just trying to help...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote