New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mounting a scope on an AR15
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
that still allows you to easily grip and manipulate the charging handle!
Perhaps this has been asked before, but this has and continues to give me fits. I live with it, but surely there is a good way of doing this.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Look up extended charging handle.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a mount that gets you 1.5" over the rail you should be able to do it just fine unless you have an optic with an extremely large ocular housing or you have bear paws. I also find it easier with an over-sized charging handle and PRI is my preferred manufacturer. Either way, I use just my left hand to operate the charging handle unless I have a gross malfunction that requires some force to clear.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier, your photo shows that there is no problem with the scope mounted the way it is. My scope extends over the charging handle, hence my problem with gripping it. I will try and mount the scope way forward and see whether I still can get the eye relief I need.
I do also like the badger extended handle with the extension at the side.
Thanks for both responses!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I know exactly what you mean. Here is my rig with a 6x42 scope. I can work the charging handle but it takes a deliberate effort. Note that my scope is about as far forward as it can go. I need to get an extended charging handle myself. A good extended handle does make it easier.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Grenadier. I have a new Ar 15 (Colt CSR 1516) and just wanted to test the accuracy with a decent scope. I will probably end up putting a red dot on it, but for now, need the scope.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The PRI will allow you to operate it with left or right hand (as a right handed shooter) while keeping your scope low enough to keep a consistent cheek weld: