Find
Notify
Tools

I guess I'm hooked...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted
on AR15s. I've resisted for 2 years while working a a part-time clerk in a gun store but...

I'm getting it one piece at a time. Well, there will be only two pieces. I bought a lower reciever lst week. Now to figure out what kind of upper I want.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! There are an infinite number of variations of ARs, so I am sure you will have at least a dozen before you are finished. Smiler

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
You may be well versed in 15's, but as a suggestion only, might consider building your upper to suit you. You can save a bit of money and be selective in the quality of components this way. Based on the collapsable butt stock, I would assume you are going to go for a carbine vs rifle version and further suggest you stay with the 16" barrel and avoid any legal issues. 14" M4 versions require that the flash hider/muzzle brake extend beyond the magic 16" range and is to be permanently attached. As for the build itself, there are lots of sources on the "net" that gives you step by step instrucions and only special tool would be the barrel wrench to torque the barrel nut to the reciever. There is a fair amount of poorly spec'd parts available, but would avoid those and go for the better barrels, bolt and bolt carrier to avoid problems. Great thing about the 15's is that you can have as many different rifles/carbines as you want or can afford all off the same receiver. Good luck.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorta like the Johnny Cash song about the GM working bringing home the Cadillac "one piece at a time." Big Grin

I thought about doing this same thing with a 1911.

Posts: 1005 | Location: A Little Bit Left of Karl Marx | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mc:
on AR15s. I've resisted for 2 years while working a a part-time clerk in a gun store but...

I'm getting it one piece at a time. Well, there will be only two pieces. I bought a lower reciever lst week. Now to figure out what kind of upper I want.

Welcome to the disease!

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you will have at least a dozen before you are finished

I have four in various configurations. I suggest a "winter trigger guard" for you. They offer lots more room than the standard guard and the one I found has a bit of extra metal toward the rear to cover the place where the roll pin or detent is to open the guard for gloved-hand use. Also, go to your local hardware store and buy one or two #41 o-rings. Cost is about 30 cents. Use one under your extractor to increase the tension of the extractor claw against the cartridge rim. Don't pay thirteen bucks for a De-fender ring. I'd get a precision trigger when you can. I have a J. P. Enterprises adjustable, two-stager on one of my guns and it makes the trigger pull so smooth and sweet I sometimes think I'm shootin' my full-on target gun. Having a collapsible stock, you are pretty much limited to 16-inch barrels. If you can find a mid-length upper, I'd go with that. You don't see many of them, and it would make your rifle unique when stood up next to every other one you'll see.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The top rifle has a 24" barrel with full length handguard. The lower rifle is a 21" barrel with a mid length hand guard

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I bought the multi position stock as that seems to sell the best (in case I later want to sell it).

How would that affect having a "non" carbine upper.

Just wondering and looking for information.

It would be nice to have a 5.56 with a floated 20" barrel since I'm more into making little holes at long ranges.

But then a shorty 6.8 would be mighty "mean".

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In very cold weather I wear mittens.
I just "pop" down the trigger guard.

The rifle was designed for this. Wink

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote