New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Precision LR-10
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've never wanted to own a big frame gasser but the way the PRS and other disciplines keep sub-dividing it has become a necessity if I want to continue to shoot as many matches as I can. Andrew Barnes builds a hell of a gun! Not many big frame gas guns will run straight right out of the gate and shoot sub-MOA!

I picked up my new Barnes Precision Machine Inc LR-10 .308 Winchester with Cerakote FDE to match the MagPul hardware. I did a cleaning and lube as soon as I arrived at the range then mounted and bore-sighted a Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44mm as a place holder until the Bushnell Tactical Elite LRTS 3-12x44mm FDE arrives.

Only thing I intend to swap out is the MagPul MOE for a LaRue A-PEG grip and I will install a Radian Talon Ambi-Selector, both in FDE.

I brought along some Federal Gold Medal Match 175gn to do an initial evaluation since if your rifle won't shoot that it is sick and needs to see the doctor. I wasn't too sure I'd love the HIPERFIRE trigger but I really like it after shooting about 80 rounds with it today. It has some take up but feels more like a single stage trigger. Adjustable gas and break make it soft shooting. Gas Gun Match here I come!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cleaned the garage and took barricades to the range to get them out of the house. It was about to rain so I did some dry fire then found a sort of clean target to shoot at and shot 5. Cold bore my ass. That's the AB39 clone I've been using in my bolt gun. It's a little over-gassed but I can come down on the charge a little because I've been running it sort of hot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, as this is my first big frame gasser is been a learning experience. The "Bore Rider" throat caused me some issues but I figured it out and redid my load dev at standard mag length.

Load ladder at 300yds after recocking to mag length:

Final load and gas setting:

Cold bore and follow up at 300yds from a squeaky clean barrel. I'm a huge believer in hBN bullet coating because this is normal:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got out on the powerline tonight and finally got some data on this Barnes Precision Machine Inc LR-10 so I didn't have to shoot this Absolute Zero Sniper Match at Front Line Defense USA blind and helpless. I shot at 850yds, 915yds, and 985yds. It's a good thing I didn't just run with chronograph data because it had me hitting way high so we had to do some hunting until we could spot an impact which happened at the 915yds berm.

Once we got drops figured out at 985yds the next 4-shots were right at 4", center to center and I was holding 1.2 mils of wind.

My Applied Ballistics LLC solver wanted me to true between 650yds and 807yds but 850yds (accidentally wrote 800yds on the target) was the closest we had so dropped down to that one and I put my last rounds there.

Andrew Barnes built a crusher rifle and the Berger Bullets 175gn OTM Tactical are holding awesome vertical fueled by IMR 4064. Sunday's match should be a good time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Photobucket strikes again... no photos