THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    Palmetto State Armory has a huge lower sale for the 4th
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Palmetto State Armory has a huge lower sale for the 4th
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I bought a couple.

I have never built one from scratch before.

Really excited about it.

Bought 2 AR-15 and 2 AR-10.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Seth, good luck. If you get stuck, PM dpcd.
Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
If you don't buy any other tool, buy the one for installing the detent pins, either that, or buy a bunch of spare pins and springs! It is only around $10 and removes a lot of frustration.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They shipped quickly, and I have them and they are perfect. I had zero problems with Palmetto State Armory.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
If you don't buy any other tool, buy the one for installing the detent pins, either that, or buy a bunch of spare pins and springs! It is only around $10 and removes a lot of frustration.

A roll pin punch set is a great help too

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Seth, we'll need build-along photos ...

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree pdog,a roll punch set is mandatory. I have a complete set as well as regular drift punches even though I don't work on guns anymore. I NEVER sell my tools.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Seth, we'll need build-along photos ...

hilbily

I should have done that for my 300 I built a few months ago.

There is some magical place called Disneyworld, that I for some reason owe $5000 to for an upcoming December trip. The AR-Lowers are sitting on a shelf in the safe until further notice.

I remember being a single Sailor and never understanding why married Sailors were broke all the time, now that I am retired and have a wife and kids it isn't as funny as it once was.

Also my offspring and wife think that vacation time is for something other than hunting/guns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a small child through a mid size child I desperately wanted to go to Disney. I use to stay up on Saturdays and watch Valt Disney. Disney for me has truly fallen has a studio.

Anyway, we could not go. One did not ask to go. Now that I am of age I could go to Disney or I could go hunting. I have never been to Disney and do not wish to any longer.

Did your small ones enjoy Disney?

I second the motion for build pics?

I am glad Palmetto seems to have weathered the AR/general firearms bubble.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have been to Disneyland Paris, Disneyland in California and Disneyland in Orlando. My wife has been to some of them in Asia. She used to work at the one in Orlando as a intern, but they pay nothing and you live in kind of indentured servitude. Not bad if you are 18, but she was 24 and had a masters degree. We lived within a couple of hours to all three, this is the first "travelling to go to Disney trip", I have ever been on. So we will be suffering through flights from El Paso, hotels and the gamut. Usually it's just 3-4 hour drive and we are there. Sometimes we came home the same night.

Having small kids makes it pretty neat, they get excited about things I don't notice, and I get excited about things they don't notice.

All the Disney parks are a safe bastion of Americana, we only go in the Fall or Winter or very early spring, and we don't go on the weekend. I hate crowds, because crowds suck so I will only go in the off season and on the weekend. I reckon Tuesdays are about the best that they can be.

The French Legionaires were protecting the downtown Disney area outside the one in Paris. Which I thought was welcoming. But any of them have stellar security. They kick people out for being assholes, which is really nice. Seen it at all 3 parks.

My favorite park is the Animal Kingdom park in Orlando the wildlife there is great, and Epcot because of the world showcase. They have a really nice food and wine festival at Epcot and I think it is worth going if you are nuts about food. My wife says the water parks are really good, I have never been.

The hotels are really good, and the staff makes everything perfect. I have never stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but if you can imagine the Old Faithful Lodge in Yellowstone, but shoved into the African savanna and Africanized that is the idea. We eat at the food places there regularly, and they are amazing.

I have travelled my entire life, lived in 5 European countries, Australia, Dijbouti, spent lots of time in Iraq, Turkey, Afghanistan and SE Asia lived in Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Washington, Hawaii, Alaska, Maine, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky and Texas. I still think Disney is pretty neat.

It is expensive, but the quality is there and we continue to go back. We go to other theme parks and they are a huge disappointment.

My wife isn't a hunter, I think my girls will be hunters but I don't push them and the oldest one at home is 7. So family vacations smell a lot like Walt Disney's place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to Disneyland shortly after it opened. It was Paradise for a kid. That was then + this is now. I never took my 3 sons there. Instead, I took them hunting + fishing + outdoor activities that I thought were educational. They all turned out O.K. That being said, I think you did a wonderful thing taking your kids there for a lifetime memory. As to your last comment; of my 2 eldest, one liked to bird shoot + 1 liked to deer hunt + neither was interested in the other so it made it grand that I could spend 100% of my time with each son in either field. My youngest, although he enjoys pistol shooting, cares nothing for hunting. I bought him a Ruger #1 in 7X57 w/ a Nikon for his 18th birthday + he has never shot it. That's O.K., we throw it out there + if they have an interest we build upon it;if they don't that's O.K. too.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an addendum just came to me, R/E I have a friend 80+ years of age that had a daughter that he sent to college at UCLA. Now, this little girl grew up around Daddy + his guns, etc. It didn't take 2 semesters to turn that little girl into a flaming liberal. Step forward a generation. My friend told me that he told his daughter that as much as it might hurt me to not see my Grandson, let it be known if he comes out here to the ranch, he WILL be shooting guns! So far the court is out on this + I don't have the heart to ask him about the final decision.