New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-10 260 or 308
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to try to put together a AR-10 . I am wanting it to be a highly accurate rifle. The question is-What is the best way to go and brand of parts to put it together. Thanks JP

Posts: 32 | Location: victoria,tx | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
well, not being a jerk/./ buy an r25, drop in a 4.5# trigger of your choice, and decent glass...

you can buy an entire r25 for about 1200, that's the old one.

the GII is the new DMPS WAY lighter design - 7# vs about 9!! and the gII has a good trigger

my gI weighs a ton, and is half moa with a CMC trigger.

if you go 300 for a barrel, 300 for receivers, $ 300 for bcg and lpk, 300 for rec. ext, buffer, stock, grip, gas block, etc etc .. $100 misc....

$250 trigger --

you can't build one for less, but you can build one for a whole lot more

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you are welcome to come up and shoot mine...

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I have an AR10 (A2 style) (the real one from Armalite). It is one of the most accurate 308's I own. Back when I had some RL12 it would shoot an inch or less at 100 yds (on the bench). If I ever save up enough cash I will get one of their newer styles, A4 maybe. No experience with R25 but it is a nice looking rifle.

Steve...........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a DPMS LR-308, had a friend install a different trigger, put a decent scope on it and never looked back. It is VERY accurate out to 300 yards, the furthest I have shot it. Sub 3" at 300 yards. It IS a heavy gun though. Basically, this gun shoots nearly as well as an off the shelf Rem 700 HB (which I also own)!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i guess my favorite is a dpms 260 that they made for me some time past, but jeff is righ on with the remmy. my 308 shoots well but the 243 is a real tack driver shooting 1.5" groups at 300

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I hear you on wanting to build one - just offering that "you can't" build one cheaper than you can buy the ready made one, with the same parts

Remington owns DPMS and Bushmaster

DPMS = remington r25
DPMS gII = remington r25 gII

Bushmaster = remington r15

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is a remmy r25 243 in the classifieds now for 975

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
308 as with any auto loader your going to loose brass.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
p dog,

About three years ago I had the chance to buy 70 pounds of LC once-fired, by a SWAT Team. All fired in bolt rifles, for $159.00 shipped here.

I am still using the LEE hand tool to deprime, and the Dillon primer pocket swager to clean the pockets during college basketball season. I can see the bottom of the box if I tip it a little sideways.

I figure the DPMS loses about 5% of the cases. That puts me good for about eighteen years, at the rate I shoot it.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've built AR10's in 6X47 Lapua, 243, 7mm-08, 260 rem, 308, 338 Fed, and 358 Win. In every case they end up being heavier than what you'd want for any kind of hunting rifle. They shoot very well, but they handle like a brick.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunsmith jp:
I am going to try to put together a AR-10 . I am wanting it to be a highly accurate rifle. The question is-What is the best way to go and brand of parts to put it together. Thanks JP

First, do it in .308. Second, GAP-10s and LT 7.62 OBRs define the accuracy of the breed in .30-cal ARs. So start your build from there.

Some other good ones out there too to help you as a model to build one.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just picked up an Armalite AR10 A4 SASS today. Putting on a BR Harris bipod and a Leupold LR 4.5x14-50. I'll see what the trigger is like before ordering a replacement.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beings, with very little work, honing, a little tweak on a few springs, the Armalight two stage can be tuned into an excellent trigger.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

when the novelty wears off in two weeks, I'll give you $300 cash for it, shipped...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll give you $300 cash for it, shipped...

Don't think that'll work :-)

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Just picked up an Armalite AR10 A4 SASS today. Putting on a BR Harris bipod and a Leupold LR 4.5x14-50. I'll see what the trigger is like before ordering a replacement.

Is it legal in NJ with your donut eating governor ?

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, no flash hider and 15-round mag maximum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look hard at the DPMS Recon

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Yup, no flash hider and 15-round mag maximum.

Nice look forward to seeing it in classified soon Cool

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TURD!!!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I built my AR10 in 260 Rem with a 24" barrel, just for the heck of it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
6.5 Creedmoor or 6mm XC. You wont' have any mag problems with longer 6.5 and 6mm bullets like you will in the 243 and 260.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
I've built AR10's in 6X47 Lapua, 243, 7mm-08, 260 rem, 308, 338 Fed, and 358 Win. In every case they end up being heavier than what you'd want for any kind of hunting rifle. They shoot very well, but they handle like a brick.

I'll second that. Years back I bought an AR10T thinking I would shoot hogs with it. It weighed a ton and, as stated above, handled like a weight bar. I think I shot it 3 times and put it in a stack somewhere, don't even know where it is at the moment.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
My current go to semi-
is a custom 15 chassis 6.8SPCII -16" with carbon fiber front end,ARFX stock-
with optic, night vision and titanium can - about 8.5# all in-
light and effective for this old man-
next lightening step is to be carbon wrapped bbl-
hope to drop a pound or so there.

The 6.8 with the 120SST or the 95TTSX Barnes has dropped everything we have shot to 350-
with 308 efficiency and a lot less work to carry around-

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
The AR10t has got a barrel on it like a rail road axle. It's a very accurate shooting machine with 168 grain Custom Competition. I'm going to work 175 grain this summer.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:

I'll second that. Years back I bought an AR10T thinking I would shoot hogs with it. It weighed a ton and, as stated above, handled like a weight bar. I think I shot it 3 times and put it in a stack somewhere, don't even know where it is at the moment.

I have a pistol sig 716 in 308 - super accurate but very heavy and needs to be shot of a bipod.

I have a larue predator in 308 - exceptional well handling and balancing gun. Would make a great hunting rifle.

I hunted with the larue once and killed s hog. I have serious issue with hunting with an ar - very noisy to load and unload and I don't like driving around with a chambered gun on safety.

I have been very impressed with the larue and sig.

Mike