New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Modern" Military Rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Modern . . . like smokeless and metalic cartridge?

I like the AK, grudgingly the AR, FAL and some others, but I'm a big Mauser fan, Mosin Nagant.

Bolt action mil-surp -- are these "modern" ???

There was a time I thought the Vetterli was ugly and antiquated, but I'm having a second look.

Enfield, Schmidt-Rubin, Martini-Henry ???

Are these "modern" ??? or are we just looking at the plastic, semi-auto, "black" stuff?

Posts: 1005 | Location: A Little Bit Left of Karl Marx | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a modern rifle is one using metallic cartridges and smokeless powder. That could make this Forum cover anything from about 1890 right up to the present day. Gives us lots to talk about...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should have bought the Springfield Trapdoor 45/70 w/ matching bayo for $950 when I saw it ten years ago . . .

Ten years ago $950 was a lot of money for me. These days they're going at $1,500 and up, depending what it is. And I should have kept my Oberndorf 1900 vintage Mod. 96 Swede.

People tell me that Mitchell's Mausers are not what they're advertised to be -- despite appearing in NRA American Rifleman.

C'mon damn it! Post some discussion! Big Grin

Posts: 1005 | Location: A Little Bit Left of Karl Marx | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
People tell me that Mitchell's Mausers are not what they're advertised to be

I have seen their ads many times. How can they sell an "armory fresh" gun for 300 bucks? I see ratted-out Mausies at shows for many, many hundreds more...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BTW5
posted Hide Post
Fresh from russian warehouses. The Soviets refinished and stored huge quantities of captured german weapons.

------------------
/
/
/

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Posts: 493 | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
I really like my "new" 1908 Brazilian 7 Mauser from J&G Cool

Regards,

WE

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
"Modern,"

anything that shots a metallic cartridge case versus anything that shoots via powder being dumped down the bore.

IMHO.

Eric

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin, July 4 1776
Lost once in the shuffle, member since 2000.

Posts: 199 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
quote:
People tell me that Mitchell's Mausers are not what they're advertised to be

I have seen their ads many times. How can they sell an "armory fresh" gun for 300 bucks? I see ratted-out Mausies at shows for many, many hundreds more...

I pay about $300 for GOOD Mauser 98 actions, sans anything else.
Just saying.

If you want bargain Mauser actions/donor rifles that need work to build a rifle on, Century Arms has better deals (sporadically) by a factor of about 10 as far as pricing, especially if you are buying more than a couple. Depends on if you want bayonets and display stuff or want an action to make into a proper sporting arm. Lots of deals to be had on Arisakas too. Shame it's so hard to make them un-ugly, as the early war production ones were frightfully strong.

Tom in Texas

Reducing "collectable military rifles" into useful sporting arms one at a time for the past twenty odd years.

I just did another .30-40 K and put a proper stock and scope on it and AckImped the chamber.

I shall now duck and cover from the people who will call me a heathen.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote