New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 TCU in an AR-15
 Login/Join

Picture of McKee Boykin
posted
Would a 6.5 TCU function in an AR-15 using no more than 100g bullets assuming you had a proper chamber? I know cartridge lenght would have to be a concerne for the mags.

Posts: 23 | Location: Edisto Island, SC | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 will work in the AR platform, however a 6.5 built on the new 6.8 case would be a more efficient case. The 6.5x6.8 holds more powder than the TCU. You can check with John at White Oak, he knows who is building them.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of McKee Boykin
posted Hide Post
Just thinking about not having to get a new upper just changing barrels. What is White Oak?

Posts: 23 | Location: Edisto Island, SC | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of McKee Boykin
posted Hide Post
Found White Oak!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made myself one in 7mm TCU years ago when I practiced Metal Silhouette Shooting with a T/C, it worked great with an AR 15 length barrel.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McKee, the limiting factor on the 6.5 TCU in the AR-15/M-16 family (using the original 5.56x45mm case/bolt) is that you are limited by the MAGAZINE LENGTH of the cartridge.

Sure..... you could probably chamber your barrel so you could single load full length 6.5 TCU in your AR-15 to get 6.5 TCU performance..... but what's the point?

The 5.56X45mm/.223 Rem. case has a very small powder capacity to begin with. If you want to seat a longer 100gr. 6.5 in this case to magazine length, you'll have LESS powder capacity.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
Not exactly what you asked for but the current issue of "Handloader" [Wolfe Publishing] has an article on using the 6X45 in the AR15 platform and etc. I have not yet had time to do more than scan the article but it looks very complete with loads of info.
Hope I'm not too far off the subject.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrapperP:
Not exactly what you asked for but the current issue of "Handloader" [Wolfe Publishing] has an article on using the 6X45 in the AR15 platform and etc. I have not yet had time to do more than scan the article but it looks very complete with loads of info.
Hope I'm not too far off the subject.

Actually, Trapper, you are right on topic! I played around with the 6x45 loaded to magazine length in the Mini-14 way back in the mid-1980's. A LOSER! But it made a "legal" deer cartridge in many states.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never been a fan of necking anything up to be used in an autoloader. The neck thickness of the original case is exactly what is needed to have proper neck tension and hold its shape when used in an autoloader.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the 6.8 is a factory cartridge that is what I would go with.

I did once upon a time, have a Contender in 7MM TCU.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is what you get with the 6.8 Rem. SPL loaded to magazine length.

Note: Bolt face difference! Also..... mag cap would be less than 30 (with currently available mags).