Find
Notify
Tools

Bushmaster AR Stovepiped
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cheshire
posted
On the second Mag my new Bushmaster Stovepiped. I cleared the rifle and now the bolt will not open. Any ideas?

On another note bought a 300 Blackout for my deployed son, he is into these kind of rifles. I'm a pretty wood kind of guy so any help would be appreciated.

Cc

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, hearing the old ones wail, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters, while riding his gelding.”
Genghis Khan

Posts: 174 | Location: Saratoga, Wyoming | Registered: 28 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not enough info.

Does it appear that the bolt is fully closed and locked?

Is there a loaded round in the chamber?

Is there a case of any kind in the chamber?

Were you using reloaded or factory cases?

Were you using steel cased ammo?

Can you get the mag out can you separate the upper from the lower?

Is the primer still in the stove piped case?

It would be help full to know all this before I would try and get it open.

A loaded round in the chamber causes all kinds of safety concerns.

Posts: 19346 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cheshire
posted Hide Post
Does it appear that the bolt is fully closed and locked? YES

Is there a loaded round in the chamber? NO

Is there a case of any kind in the chamber? NO

Were you using reloaded or factory cases? FACTORY

Were you using steel cased ammo? STEEL

Can you get the mag out can you separate the upper from the lower? YES MAG OUT... NO CANNOT SEPERATE

Is the primer still in the stove piped case? YES

It would be help full to know all this before I would try and get it open.

A loaded round in the chamber causes all kinds of safety concerns. NO KIDDING. I NEW TO THESE BLACK GUNS. I win this on at our NRA dinner. They are a shit ton of fun. I just bought a Wilson Combat 300 Blackout today. I'm hooked

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, hearing the old ones wail, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters, while riding his gelding.”
Genghis Khan

Posts: 174 | Location: Saratoga, Wyoming | Registered: 28 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most likely there is a piece of something - broken extractor or popped primer, dunno - preventing the bolt from fully rotating so as to unlock. This can be due to the undesired fragment occupying space in the cam pin recess of the carrier, or just between lugs and carrier. Every blue moon freeze-up turns out to be fragment binding something in the lower.

Push both takedown pins, allowing the upper to move forward and off the lower. You say you cannot separate. Possibly you are trying to pivot off the forward pin with carrier slightly OOB and to rear. Won't work. Push both pins and remove in forward/up direction.

Halves separated, you may be able to see what is restricting movement.

Sam

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Sam says
If you get the top and bottom separated one should be able to get the bolt open a lot easier

also with no loaded round or case in the chamber one can take a solid rod and tap against the bolt face.

Doing that well unlock the bolt a lots of times I wouldn't hit the rod very hard. apply some pressure on the operating handle and just tap a bit. Try no pressure just tapping

We saw lots of trouble with steel cased ammo that we wouldn't allow it on our academy ranges.

Spent to much time clearing jammed weapons.

Some have no problems with it. But I don't use in my ARs.

Ran tons of it through SKS and AK clones.

Posts: 19346 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Remove magazine

.Check to be sure it is truly unloaded.

NOW CHECK THAT IT IS UNLOADED SINCE YOU REALLY DID NOT CHECK IT AFTER THE ABOVE INSTRUCTION

Rod down the barrel trick to confirm no loaded round in the chamber.

Unloaded???

No, there is a round in the chamber.

Put on safe and tag it "Loaded"

May be time for AR crank/gunsmith . . .

Pull the front pivot pin

Pull the rear take down pin

Is the bolt carrier fully forward (level with the rear of the upper)

if not, then something is preventing the bolt from fully closing.

If level something is preventing the bolt from unlocking and opening.

Look to see if you can see anything causing either condition.

At this point I say to take it to an AR Gun Crank or gunsmith.

I have things that have worked for me, but due to the litigious society in which we live, my self help instructions end at this point

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4225 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time a buddy had cleaned his AR and when he put the firing pin back in, he inserted the cotter pin that is supposed to hold the firing pin in place on the wrong side of the firing pin flange.

The rifle fired a few rounds then the firing pin slipped out of the bolt carrier and jammed things up.

When you shake the gun can you hear anything rattleing around?

If so turn the gun upside down and shake it around, foward and back, as you try to pull back the bolt.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chesire

Did you ever get that Bushmaster working? If so what was the problem.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote