Find
Notify
Tools

IWI Tavor
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted
Anyone with any experience with the IWI Tavor? I own a number of AR platforms (LWRC, Noveske, Colt, SCAR) in 5.56,308,6.5 Gren,6.8 SPC. I coon pawed a nice Tavor setup with 18" barrel, Timney trigger, and holographic site the other day and seemed to have caught the fever. Let me know.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting gun. I shoot left handed and don't like bullpups. Even if they can be switched over for left hand use.

Tavor looks like a well thought out platform. Would like to get more info too.

I just got a larue predator in 7.62 - very impressive. These high end ar platform guns are getting impressive.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Mu friend has one and loves it. The stock trigger was horrible on his but other than that it's a neat little gun. We went shooting on my place with the bull pups in early 2014. He had his Tavor and I had my STG-556. I shot his Tavor but I didn't like it more than the STG-556 which seems about a pound lighter.

My friend fondled his Tavor mercilessly for about 6 months after he bought it. It was too the point of being creepy. I'm sure his wife got jealous.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Scott: Your post made me laugh way too hard.

I think I'm going to order one this week and go with the same specs I mentioned in my first post (18" barrel, Timney trigger, Eotech Holographic site). Once I get the weapon home I'll post pictures and a range report.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Check written. Waiting on shipment. Range report to follow.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will be interested in your evaluation of the Timney trigger!!!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
The Tavor has arrived! I picked up the rife and five boxes of ammo (all different brands) ranging from 40 to 69 grain (Still need to pick up two more boxes to round out my accuracy testing).

The Timney trigger is on back order and suppose to be shipping in a few weeks. I spoke with a Timney representative and they have issued a "stop order" on Tavor trigger packs due to issues that have surfaced from the field regarding light primer strikes. According to the rep, they are working to rectify the issue and begin shipping again.

So, I will begin range time and a solid review of the platform this weekend if all goes as planned.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tavor has arrived. FH has to be replaced with fitting for can. Left side cover replaced with one having a better seal.

Function is superb. Good shape for confined spaces.

Waiting for reports on replacement triggers to upgrade that.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tavor, is a very good weapon, I have a AUG A3 and love this rifle. I would say the big new in bullpup rifles is Desert Tec MDR in 308 it will be 1 inch or so longer then my AUG, but that is with a 18 inch barrel

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Got a 16" sitting in the safe.
Fitted AAC QD FH have not christened it yet.

Will report back soon.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
"Coon pawed." LOVE IT!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote