New
Find
Notify
Tools

DMPS 260
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i ordered a 260 from DPMS last summer. it took almost 9 months to get here. Granted it was a bit special with heavy fluted SS barrel (blackened flutes) JP trigger and gas block, special stock etc. but my dealer kept getting a run around from them as to when it would be done. In anycase it finally got here this spring, The first groups were outstanding, less than 3/4". but since then it keeps deteriorating. Doesn't matter what load i use the groupls just keep getting bigger. last one was over 14"@200. Only thing i can think of is that in the fluting sequence the barrel got over stressed. Sent it back to DPMS, now to see how long it will take to get back.

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you do get it back and try it out please post what you find.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting problem. I have a Springfield M1A that shot under an inch when knew but within 500 rds was doing 6 inches. I sent it back and they replaced the bolt and now it shoots great again.

Confused

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With most semi-automatics, there is so much stuff attached to the barrel that if something loosens up it can play havoc with accuracy.

With a M1-A or an AR type rifle, others as well, build up in the gas tube, gas system can change vibrations and again effect accuracy.

Also with the M1-A bedding can go bad.

[Let the record reflect that none of things effect a H&K, as nothing is attached to the barrel, no gas system, and there is no bedding to go bad Wink. ]

If a rifle is set up "right", these things should not happen, at least for the life of the barrel.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote