New
Find
Notify
Tools

AK Scope Mount
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have two siderail scope mounts for AK, Midwest Industries and Arsenal. I tried each of them on an Arsenal SGL 21-61 rifle, and in both cases the top rail leans to the right, to the point where the mount leans on the left side of the receiver cover. I understand that AKs are made to many specs; wondered if someone else had seen this.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you post a pic? I am having a hard time picturing your problems.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
View of the Arsenal SM-13 Rail.

View from the rear. The white arrow shows where the mount touches the cover, and the black arrow is where you can see the rail is sitting to the right of the rear sight.

Again, view from the rear, but I am holding the rail as if I had put shims on the side mount below.

sputster

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the mount angled or straight but not centered over receiver? The mount doesn't need to be perfectly centered. If it matters to you then RS Regulate mounts are meant to be adjustable to center over bore.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rail is straight on (not angled), just not centered. I can make it work, just would rather the mount just not be leaning on the cover. I have heard good things about the RS mounts, will give them a look. Thanks.

sputster

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 303/AKML combo on one of my Arsenal SAM7SF's. It is very light, solid and well made.

Let me know if your selling the SM-13.

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

one of us
posted Hide Post
I called Arsenal this morning and talked to Jennifer for a little about this. She tells me that the SM-13 was engineered specifically for the Bulgarian receivers. She referred me to K-VAR, and I left a message but they haven't returned the call.

Looking at the RS website, it looks like the 302 or 303 might work for me, maybe with an AKR upper. It helps that the RS Regulate video showed they mounted one on a Saiga receiver rifle. Will PM you if I plan to sell the SM-13.

sputster

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
K-var, good luck getting a reply, or parts

Posts: 6385 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the mount angled or straight but not centered over receiver? The mount doesn't need to be perfectly centered. * * *

It matters if it's loose, and this one looks to be a "wobbler," ... besides how it's canted off in the picture.

Get an AR. You can thank me later. Wink

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks are not necessary; I already have an AR that works very well. But it's not an AK. I agree that I will not use a mount that is loose, so will see what RS Regulate has to offer.

sputster