Find
Notify
Tools

$16,000 Remington Sniper Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Ever heard the word/term mittyesque? It denotes an ineffectual person who spends more time in heroic daydreams than paying attention to the real world, or more seriously, one who intentionally attempts to mislead or convince others that he is something he is not.

Sweet dreams, little man, sweet dreams.

Oh, BTW, I'd still like to read the article and see pictures of the rifle you "crafted". And I know ted thorn would love to see a picture of your B&C elk.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
He claims 33 or 34 B&C record book elk

I called bull shit

Still funny even today

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pah!
Just get a life of your own. You can pattern it after mine since you have some of the parameters.

regards,

Rich
been there, done that, and got the T-shirts...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
The MSR is completely out of reach for 99% of us here. My version is, at less than $3500.
Rich

He's right.

The MSR may be what they claim it to be, but IMO it ought to be. Otherwise they just didn't throw enough money at it. Roll Eyes

I have never been a Savage fan, except that I like simple, accurate and reasonably priced rifles. I have a friend who shoots several Savages, and after many conversations and demonstrations at the range he finally convinced me of their virtues. For a super accurate, long range sniper type rifle, or a hunting rifle, or whatever its use, the Savage custom combo or some form is far, far more affordable and thus attainable than such experiments as the Remington or other super expensive elite weapons.

It's nice and interesting to know that they exist, but as a practical matter, unattainable without govt funding. Personally, I have no use for either of them, and have no desire to own either the Remington or a Savage. 300 yards is my range limit, and I’ve sorta progressed to that, and sorta graduated to the AR15 or AR10 in the 6.5 Grendel and 308, respectively. Any hunting situation in my foreseeable future can be handled very well with an AR.

Of course I will always have some traditional type bolt action rifles available to satisfy my nostalgic whims when they occur.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Any discussion of the MSR has long been gone and lost.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
So it's about personal bashing now?

OK, have it your way.

They say, even a blind hog finds an acorn. I say that even if the guy is full of it, which I'm not saying is true, he's still right about what he says of the Savage custom.

IMO, all the rest of the bashing is cyberspace trash, and also IMO, it's not I.S. who trashed this thread.

KB

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My apologies to the rest of you.

It started out simple, a poor man's version of the MSR, and just went way awry.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I think a $16,000 multi-caliber sniper rifles is a complete wast of our money. Freaking just decided on a standard sniper caliber already. How about using the one in the middle (300 Win Mag)?

Sorry,just annoying how much the military wastes on this crap. The 300 will do everything the 308 does and then some and it will keep pace with the Lapua on human targets with todays long range bullets. Bring the 50 cal if you need more.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seen this ? :

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014...s/?intcmp=latestnews

Inert training round, 1 each, green. 10 Grand per round.

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a quote.

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the militaryindustrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist."

"Another factor in maintaining balance involves the element of time. As we peer into society's future, we -- you and I, and our government -- must avoid the impulse to live only for today, plundering, for our own ease and convenience, the precious resources of tomorrow. We cannot mortgage the material assets of our grandchildren without risking the loss also of their political and spiritual heritage. We want democracy to survive for all generations to come, not to become the insolvent phantom of tomorrow."

Military-Industrial Complex Speech, Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
I think a $16,000 multi-caliber sniper rifles is a complete wast of our money. Freaking just decided on a standard sniper caliber already. How about using the one in the middle (300 Win Mag)?

Sorry,just annoying how much the military wastes on this crap. The 300 will do everything the 308 does and then some and it will keep pace with the Lapua on human targets with todays long range bullets. Bring the 50 cal if you need more.

It's about more than making a Hollywood head shot at 500 yards.

Missions and requirements differ widely. For example, what distances are required? Will the sniper team be moving and carrying the weapons and ammo from place to place or stationary? Will they need to shoot through barriers? Are hard targets involved, i.e. vehicles, equipment, facilities, etc., and if so, are rounds with anti-armor, incendiary, or explosive capability required? Is the expected use defensive, offensive, or both?

Having a "system" as opposed to a simple weapon makes a lot of sense. The unit can deploy and transport the system to the base area. The system can be used in multiple roles for multiple missions. It allows the user to configure it for the task at hand. The alternatives are either limit capability or deploy with multiple weapons.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about proving that you can post a single photo?

quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
It is not my problem that you lack the common sense to do any research on your own.

It is also not my problem if you weren't knowledgeable enough in the late 1980's to subscribe to PS like I did, and then ask questions. For nearly eleven years my name was on the masthead as a staff writer. Dave Brennan played the consummate Shanty Irishman as editor. I played him once by naming a wildcat the 257 Banshee. I'd guess you can check that with JGS, since they made the reamers. Brennan got me back, when he posted my name under the heading "Obscurata & Mythology". A veiled reference to the Banshee.

I had the privilege of writing about anything that interested me there. I went out, did things, and sent a report, including pictures, back to PS. They usually printed it, and sent me money.

I wrote on lots of subjects over the years. The Banshee project got me to the Tacoma area, where an old gunsmith named Manley Oakley found me an early Unlimited era fiberglass stock, and an 11 1/2" aluminum sleeve to build it on. After a pleasant afternoon visiting with he and his wife I asked him if there was anything worth doing that weekend. It turns out that there was a Coors Regional Schuetzenfest at the Tacoma R&P club. My wife and I drove over to see the show. Someone there figured out who I was, and I was coerced into shooting their Media/celebrity Match. I shot a record score of 247-7X. You can check that, I think it still stands.

Coors invited me to the Nationals that summer in Golden, Colorado. I finished 4th there. I also got to spend the best part of two afternoon meeting and becoming friends with Dean Miller and his son Cyle, along with their families. The 32-40 still owned Schuetzen back then. Dean and Cyle talked with me about their wildcat, the 32 Miller. It would shoot right alongside the 32-40, but "as accurate as..." doesn't get many people to switch over. Their case was a european cartridge, the 222 Rimmed version of the 222 Remington Magnum. It got necked up, much like a mini-32-40, measured 1.520" OAL, and was breech seated. That Spring Russ Hayden, Hayden's Shooters Supply and I went to the Super Shoot. I had done an article for PS on his leaving a cushy job at Boeing as a draftsman to start the business. We visited their house that early spring and Russ's wife had shared that Russ wanted to attend the SS, as a way of meeting his customers from across the country. I did not own a 6PPC, but the trip sounded like fun, and my parents live enroute, near St Louis. So, I volunteered to share the driving and watch his store while he was on the line. Ever been to the SS? Kelbly's Range has 60 covered benches, and they had seven relays that year.

Any way, I had the good fortune to visit again with Alan Hall. We had met up here and gone to the NRA Show together in Seattle the year before. That was the year Krieghoff introduced their DRs. Did I tell you, I had done an article on Rockchuck shooting with the original Trail Guns Armory double rifle in 45-70? Michael Powasnick was the inporter from the Houston area. They had two rear sights, one for each barrel. Anyway, I shot four, iirc, Rockchucks with 500gr RFN cast bullets from an old Lyman mold I had. Dieter Krieghoff and Co. had subscriptions and when I told them my name and that I was from PS, he laughed and said "Ach, der Rockchuck Shooter from Idaho...". I used to sign off my articles, just a rockchuck shooter from Idaho. So, anyway, Alan Hall was with me, and I introduced him to Dieter. They went off into an extended discussion about various bolt and single shot action designs. They ended up inviting me to dinner that evening. The next day they asked me if I would be interested in doing an article on their new double rifle line. OF COURSE!! So, Dieter Krieghoff asks me which one of the display rifles I preferred. Easy question, I want the .500 NE. So, he walks me down two booths to Zander and Sons who were the importers for Kynoch at the time. Bart and I had met earlier that morning, so he knew who I was. Dieter asks him if they had any ammunition, and Bart reaches behind him to the display and gives me, GIVES ME, 5 boxes of softs and five of solids. At that time the price tag was $132 for softs, and $156 for solids. $1440 for those of you who don't want to do the math. So, I took the rifle and ammunition home with me and shot it all up a 5-pack each on bullseye targets at 100yds, and the rest trying to kill Rockchucks. It worked. I hunted with it that fall, but that's another deal.
I could have bought it for $6300 that early winter. It was, waaaay too pretty for someone like me.

I drift, back to the SS. We are sitting in the reloading shed, while George Sr went over the ground rules, when the infamous Skip Otto of Grand Junction, CO asked me if I were shooting. I said "No, no BR rifle and no extra $$$ for entry fees...". Those of you who have ever met Skip, know what I am about to say; the rest of you, I cannot explain Skip. He had to be experienced firsthand.
Anyway, Skip stands up and tells everybody there who I am, and how it just does not seem right that I drive all the way over and not shoot. He takes his baseball cap off and walks around the floor, asking every competitor there to help sponsor me at the shoot. He would only take change or $1 dollar bills. It was the darndest thing. I say thank you, but figure I'll get off the hook with the "No BR rifle..." excuse.
Alan Hall, a man I thought was my friend volunteers the use of his Hall-built 6PPC HV rifle. Skip dumped out the hat, and George Jr counted it. Over $400. We paid my entry fees, and the rest went to the "take up a collection fund" for the scorers.

I was ready to run, but Dave tells me, "Rich, if you do not cross fire on someone else's target, you can't finish dead last. That proved to be true, at least one or two competitors each relay did. I am thinking I finished up 87th. All of my groups were in the .1 moa range at 100/200. I shot one 5-shot group that measured .09X" at 100. That was good for 16th place. The best target that relay was by Tony Boyer, a .043".

That is the deal on my one and only trip to the SS.

Oh, yeah, we were talking Schuetzen. So, the last day, we are talking about the SS trip, and the issue I saw with Schuetzen. 6PPC's operate at about 101% loading density. It makes for 2-5fps 5-shot spreads. The 32 Miller was about 9-10 fps. Loading density was about 40% with AA#9, aka H110. I suggested to Dean and Cyle that they shorten the case, an arbitrary 1/4 inch. It made sense to me, but Dean and Cyle were polite, but very skeptical. A set of JGS reamers by Keith Francis were about $350. A lot of money to lay out on some gunwriters whim. What made the deal, was that I had sent Dave a reamer print, a 6.5x68S case, and the fireformed Banshee round. He put it on the cover the next month. He even paid me an extra $50. JGS had recently been sold by Keith, to Jim Cuthbert, and I was smart enough to get PS to send a couple copies to them. Jim called me, and offered me a free set of reamers as a way of saying "thank you". So, the Millers and my wife and I are sitting at a picnic table at the Coors Range outside of Golden. I offer them the reamer credit if they want to take a chance. At the same time, I ordered a Schuetzen rifle on the amazing Miller-DeHaas single shot design. The next Spring, again, iirc, the weekend after Easter, we drive up to St Onge, South Dakota. It's about an hour west of Sturgis. We get in about dinner time, and Dean & Cherie ask us to stay at their other house. The next morning we go to their range.

Dean has mounted Cherie's 36X Unertl(sp?) on my rifle, made up 20 cases, and we start shooting. This is a 1.5" bullseye, which is also the 25-ring. 200yds. The first ten shots score a 248-8X. Up a half a grain, 247-7X.
The next two groups score 248-8X and a 249-9X. Every one is smiling. About that time Lowell Hamilton pulls up. The first thing he says after "hello" is "Where is that barn burner midget Rich dreamed up...?".

It turns out that Dean and Cyle took the completed rifle to the range the night before to test. It could have been a bust, if so they would have rechambered it to the standard 32 Miller. Five different people shot that rifle that morning with the same 10.5gr of AA#9, and all ten 10-shot groups, at 200yds, scoped off the bench were 248 or 249. No 23's. We return to town to celebrate, and Dean suggests we call it after me. Having at least a modicum of common sense, I decline. Since Dean was in the business, I proposed the name 32 Miller Short. By end of the next year, it owned Schuetzen, and still does today. Last I heard, every perfect 250-10X since 2000 was using a 32 MS.

I wrote a nine-part series that year on everything you needed to do, building a rifle, learning to cast good bullets, with one of Jerry Barnett's spitzer 215gr molds I cast nearly 300 32 caliber bullets one day that had a total spread of .2gr. It was called "On the Yellow Brick Road, to Golden, Colorado."

So Craig, in a roundabout fashion we are back to your comment. Are you disputing the validity of the Savage packages, or just jealous of me?

What I wrote here represents less than half my PS printed and paid for output over a two year spread.

You've kept me up past my bedtime, and the ComputerStop tech is coming around 9am to install a new computer.

Good night to all. For those of you who read PS in those days, some of this may ring a bell. For those who haven't, this is about ten-percent of what was published. Boyd Mace and I were the live varmint shooters during that era.

Good night,

Rich
still "Just a Rockchuck Shooter from Idaho."

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macs B:
Without checking your long division I would say your math is correct. Remember that those rifles may look like a M-700 but just like the Berreta M-94 and the M-9 they are not made on the same line or using the same contract specs. That dollar amount accounts for years of service, parts, consumables, you name it. Its not just a question of how many rifles.

And we wonder why Defense spending is STUPID ? Confused Shades of the 300. hammer. Yankees are going to spend themselves into bankruptcy. Guess the Soviets won't be the only power busted by the Cold War if you guys keep it up and Putin may be the last man standing, after all.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only $16,000 for a Sniper Rifle. Does not sound like too bad a deal to me....

I seem to remember something about a $10,000 coffee pot. shocker Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Only $16,000 for a Sniper Rifle. Does not sound like too bad a deal to me....

I seem to remember something about a $10,000 coffee pot. shocker Big Grin

And don't forget the toilets seats.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
This one has to be a poster boy on just how far AR threads can go south ...

Cool

P.S. If the versatile Savage platform would just accept a Jewel trigger, it would be an unbeatable value.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Based on my considerable experience with military procurement it doesn't surprise me in the least. Impossible initial specifications, endless changes, inspections and mountains of paperwork drive up costs dramatically.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I can understand this "system" lust, considering that in our recent wars of the last 30 years, we have had overwhelming amounts of money available to throw into them, and a clearly massive support infrastructure.

But I am NOT convinced the concept is, in and of itself, a sound one.

The sniper is supposed to be a support for the ground-pounders, tacticians & strategists around him/her. That means he/she must be immediately available regardless of the circumstance, and skilled enough to help out through prompt and effective action.

It does NOT mean they should be dependent on their own travelling armorers shop to trick their weapon out for any specific circumstance they may be called upon to help in, and only THEN take immediate support action.

Any truly good sniper can hit a man-sized target at 1,000-1,200 yards with a well accurized M-14. Or with a couple of the same snipers and weapons we can effectively immobilize a large detachment of enemy at 300-600 yards in the right circumstances...and often even in the wrong ones.

Sure, a sniper with a big .338 or .50 can occasionally do a lot of good shooting at a 2,500 yard strategic target. But not often enough to change our whole concept of sniping rifles to serve that end.

As a line commander I'd a hell of a lot rather have a few well trained sniper-guys in each company with M-14s than any super-tech super-specialized soldier and the manpower wasted on logistics to support him and his "system" weapon.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
For those that are so against the military spending money on a new sniper rifle. How about we stop all the money from going to any country ending with Stan and we could put one of these rifles in every platoon. I agree that there is way to much money wasted in the supply of troops. Most of it is spent on watching to make sure someone doesn't steal a penny's worth. If you have to get 10 people to sign off on a open purchase chit it ahs become stupid. I think our troops should have the best of what is available. I've been there trying to do the job with a hand tied behind my back trying to get what my sailors needed to do their job.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote