$16,000 Remington Sniper Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
Without checking your long division I would say your math is correct. Remember that those rifles may look like a M-700 but just like the Berreta M-94 and the M-9 they are not made on the same line or using the same contract specs. That dollar amount accounts for years of service, parts, consumables, you name it. Its not just a question of how many rifles.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
And folks complain about gunmaker D'Arcy Echols custom Legend series rifles just being overpriced M70's.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The Modular Sniper Rifle (MSR) has interchangeable barrels so the user can switch barrel lengths as well as calibers. It is a system that includes suppressor and scope. It has a high tech adjustable folding stock. It uses removable box magazines. It is not a modified 700. It has an alloy action and a bolt with removable head to accommodate 7.62 NATO, 300 Win Mag, and 338 Lapua case heads. I believe the contract also includes 4.7 million rounds of ammo over ten years. If not for the large number ordered it would cost much more per rifle. One thing Remington is good at is setting up a production line.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they had just called me...

I crafted a couple of these more than twenty years ago for a PS article using Savage actions.

All you need as the basic platform is a 112 in 375 H&H and a decent gunsmith. For 2014, add one of the commonly available modular stocks and the detachable magazine box systems. Of course, you have to make do with a 338 Edge instead of the Lapua.

Am I the only one that thinks about this sort of thing?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Yeah....sure

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I crafted a couple of these more than twenty years ago...
rotflmo

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

OK, moving right along...

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I crafted a couple of these more than twenty years ago for a PS article using Savage actions.

All you need as the basic platform is a 112 in 375 H&H and a decent gunsmith. For 2014, add one of the commonly available modular stocks and the detachable magazine box systems. Of course, you have to make do with a 338 Edge instead of the Lapua.

Am I the only one that thinks about this sort of thing?

Rich

Hey Rich,

How 'bout scanning the article (and some pics) so we can all see your invention. Surely you have a copy of the article or the PS issue it appeared in.

Can't wait to see it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand that this is obviously beyond three or four of the responders mental capabilities, but it is really simple.

Savage bolt rifles have interchangeable bolt heads.

If you want a true switch barrel/cartridge capable rifle:

1. Buy a Savage rifle, a repeater version, chambered for the longest cartridge you would chamber. That is for the magazine box length.
1b. If you want a more accurate platform, buy the single shot model.

2. If you want a budget unit, buy the factory "V" barrels in stainless steel. That gives you 26" stainless fluted heavy barrels to work with.

3. then buy the requisite bolt heads.

Example: I got reamers from Keith Francis for the 22-284 wildcat. I had purchased a 12-BV-SS in 223 Rem because it was the only cartridge Savage chambered in with a 1:9" twist.
Swap a 308 bolt head for the 223 and rechamber the barrel. Voila! Instant 3600fps screamer with the JLK* bullets.

Example 2: I bought another identical rifle, as part of an experiment with Savage and a Texas company** that was introducing a barrel coating designed to prolong barrel life. I shot all four barrels on the SS receiver for accuracy and velocity. The fastest one and the slowest one went to this company for their interior coating. When they came back, I had Dennis Bellm rechamber both with another JGS reamer, the 22-378 Wby AI cartridge. Neil Jones of CPS*** fame was involved on both projects for me. iirc, the untreated barrel went about 80 rounds, the treated one about three times that. The barrels went back to Savage for further analysis.

I'd tell you a few more things I wrote about, but I think this large dose is causing at least three of yous' Neural Transmitters to start crossfiring...

Class dismissed,

Rich

Craigster, I figured you might be able to handle this. I can understand your' ignorance (ignorant just means you don't know about the subject at hand), but it really, really is basic. You'll have to find someone who subscribed to PS from 1988 to 2000), I have way too much to do to educate you any further.

* I'll bet a yankee dollar none of you simpletons can post here within 24 hours who and what JLK is.
** iirc, Blackstar?
*** another yankee dollar bet same as the first * who and what.

Someday, I'll tell you about competing in the Super Shoot (finished 87th out of more than 360 competitors with a borrowed rifle from my friend Alan Hall), the TCL Hunter Class BR matches (finished 7th in the country that year) and the former Coors Schuetzenfest Regionals and Nationals the same year (top 20 in the two benchrest segments, my offhand shooting is mediocre)
You guys need to get out more.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
* I'll bet a yankee dollar none of you simpletons can post here within 24 hours who and what JLK is.
Hopefully not one of the simpletons... JLK = Jimmy Knox. Founder and original owner of JLK Bullets.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand that this is obviously beyond three or four of the responders mental capabilities, but it is really simple.

Savage bolt rifles have interchangeable bolt heads.

If you want a true switch barrel/cartridge capable rifle:

1. Buy a Savage rifle, a repeater version, chambered for the longest cartridge you would chamber. That is for the magazine box length.
1b. If you want a more accurate platform, buy the single shot model.

2. If you want a budget unit, buy the factory "V" barrels in stainless steel. That gives you 26" stainless fluted heavy barrels to work with.

3. then buy the requisite bolt heads.

Example: I got reamers from Keith Francis for the 22-284 wildcat. I had purchased a 12-BV-SS in 223 Rem because it was the only cartridge Savage chambered in with a 1:9" twist.
Swap a 308 bolt head for the 223 and rechamber the barrel. Voila! Instant 3600fps screamer with the JLK* bullets.

Example 2: I bought another identical rifle, as part of an experiment with Savage and a Texas company** that was introducing a barrel coating designed to prolong barrel life. I shot all four barrels on the SS receiver for accuracy and velocity. The fastest one and the slowest one went to this company for their interior coating. When they came back, I had Dennis Bellm rechamber both with another JGS reamer, the 22-378 Wby AI cartridge. Neil Jones of CPS*** fame was involved on both projects for me. iirc, the untreated barrel went about 80 rounds, the treated one about three times that. The barrels went back to Savage for further analysis.

I'd tell you a few more things I wrote about, but I think this large dose is causing at least three of yous' Neural Transmitters to start crossfiring...

Class dismissed,

Rich

Craigster, I figured you might be able to handle this. I can understand your' ignorance (ignorant just means you don't know about the subject at hand), but it really, really is basic. You'll have to find someone who subscribed to PS from 1988 to 2000), I have way too much to do to educate you any further.

** iirc, Blackstar?
*** another yankee dollar bet same as the first * who and what.

Someday, I'll tell you about competing in the Super Shoot (finished 87th out of more than 360 competitors with a borrowed rifle from my friend Alan Hall), the TCL Hunter Class BR matches (finished 7th in the country that year) and the former Coors Schuetzenfest Regionals and Nationals the same year (top 20 in the two benchrest segments, my offhand shooting is mediocre)
You guys need to get out more.

Rich,

Is it at all possible for you to carry on a conversation that is not loaded with bullshit? Do you really think that anyone here gives shit that you know who/what JLK is and they might not? You really need to get a life, pal.

Still waiting for the article and pictures. If you can't handle it by yourself, maybe someone here can help.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting on even one (1) picture of the 30+ Boone and Crockett elk he claimed to have killed in the Sullivan thread years ago.

A story teller for sure.....tall one's at that

A writer? Gun builder? Funny....TFF

Rich.....I'm patient

BTW....."I crafted".....that's a gas!!

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Capoward,

double or nothing, who is the "L"?

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
craigster,

which part of the discussion was over your head? I think the true bullshit part is not ignorance on your part, but a low comprehension level on your end of the discussion.

Just as an aside; it is generally accepted that resorting to profanity/vulgarity in a discussion is a serious sign that the person stooping to that level understands they have been schooled, and that being made to look stupid, on their part, is a way to try and mask it.

It appears clearly, based on your inane response, that the multi barrel/caliber experiments of 1991-94, and the benefits of such a system are lost on you.

Someone else here may understand the obvious advantages and pursue building one.

I'm kinda busy building a couple rifles, and figuring out what month I want to back to Africa for my fourth visit next spring.

Perhaps someday, someone with more patience than I have can explain all of this to you.

regards to all,

Rich

I do believe you are there.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
When you say "I'm kinda busy building" I can't help but laugh

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drivel on, Rich, drivel on. If and when you ever validate or substantiate all of the things you claim to have done, some here might believe you.
It's all about credibility, Rich. And credibility is what you lack. Seriously.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not my problem that you lack the common sense to do any research on your own.

It is also not my problem if you weren't knowledgeable enough in the late 1980's to subscribe to PS like I did, and then ask questions. For nearly eleven years my name was on the masthead as a staff writer. Dave Brennan played the consummate Shanty Irishman as editor. I played him once by naming a wildcat the 257 Banshee. I'd guess you can check that with JGS, since they made the reamers. Brennan got me back, when he posted my name under the heading "Obscurata & Mythology". A veiled reference to the Banshee.

I had the privilege of writing about anything that interested me there. I went out, did things, and sent a report, including pictures, back to PS. They usually printed it, and sent me money.

I wrote on lots of subjects over the years. The Banshee project got me to the Tacoma area, where an old gunsmith named Manley Oakley found me an early Unlimited era fiberglass stock, and an 11 1/2" aluminum sleeve to build it on. After a pleasant afternoon visiting with he and his wife I asked him if there was anything worth doing that weekend. It turns out that there was a Coors Regional Schuetzenfest at the Tacoma R&P club. My wife and I drove over to see the show. Someone there figured out who I was, and I was coerced into shooting their Media/celebrity Match. I shot a record score of 247-7X. You can check that, I think it still stands.

Coors invited me to the Nationals that summer in Golden, Colorado. I finished 4th there. I also got to spend the best part of two afternoon meeting and becoming friends with Dean Miller and his son Cyle, along with their families. The 32-40 still owned Schuetzen back then. Dean and Cyle talked with me about their wildcat, the 32 Miller. It would shoot right alongside the 32-40, but "as accurate as..." doesn't get many people to switch over. Their case was a european cartridge, the 222 Rimmed version of the 222 Remington Magnum. It got necked up, much like a mini-32-40, measured 1.520" OAL, and was breech seated. That Spring Russ Hayden, Hayden's Shooters Supply and I went to the Super Shoot. I had done an article for PS on his leaving a cushy job at Boeing as a draftsman to start the business. We visited their house that early spring and Russ's wife had shared that Russ wanted to attend the SS, as a way of meeting his customers from across the country. I did not own a 6PPC, but the trip sounded like fun, and my parents live enroute, near St Louis. So, I volunteered to share the driving and watch his store while he was on the line. Ever been to the SS? Kelbly's Range has 60 covered benches, and they had seven relays that year.

Any way, I had the good fortune to visit again with Alan Hall. We had met up here and gone to the NRA Show together in Seattle the year before. That was the year Krieghoff introduced their DRs. Did I tell you, I had done an article on Rockchuck shooting with the original Trail Guns Armory double rifle in 45-70? Michael Powasnick was the inporter from the Houston area. They had two rear sights, one for each barrel. Anyway, I shot four, iirc, Rockchucks with 500gr RFN cast bullets from an old Lyman mold I had. Dieter Krieghoff and Co. had subscriptions and when I told them my name and that I was from PS, he laughed and said "Ach, der Rockchuck Shooter from Idaho...". I used to sign off my articles, just a rockchuck shooter from Idaho. So, anyway, Alan Hall was with me, and I introduced him to Dieter. They went off into an extended discussion about various bolt and single shot action designs. They ended up inviting me to dinner that evening. The next day they asked me if I would be interested in doing an article on their new double rifle line. OF COURSE!! So, Dieter Krieghoff asks me which one of the display rifles I preferred. Easy question, I want the .500 NE. So, he walks me down two booths to Zander and Sons who were the importers for Kynoch at the time. Bart and I had met earlier that morning, so he knew who I was. Dieter asks him if they had any ammunition, and Bart reaches behind him to the display and gives me, GIVES ME, 5 boxes of softs and five of solids. At that time the price tag was $132 for softs, and $156 for solids. $1440 for those of you who don't want to do the math. So, I took the rifle and ammunition home with me and shot it all up a 5-pack each on bullseye targets at 100yds, and the rest trying to kill Rockchucks. It worked. I hunted with it that fall, but that's another deal.
I could have bought it for $6300 that early winter. It was, waaaay too pretty for someone like me.

I drift, back to the SS. We are sitting in the reloading shed, while George Sr went over the ground rules, when the infamous Skip Otto of Grand Junction, CO asked me if I were shooting. I said "No, no BR rifle and no extra $$$ for entry fees...". Those of you who have ever met Skip, know what I am about to say; the rest of you, I cannot explain Skip. He had to be experienced firsthand.
Anyway, Skip stands up and tells everybody there who I am, and how it just does not seem right that I drive all the way over and not shoot. He takes his baseball cap off and walks around the floor, asking every competitor there to help sponsor me at the shoot. He would only take change or $1 dollar bills. It was the darndest thing. I say thank you, but figure I'll get off the hook with the "No BR rifle..." excuse.
Alan Hall, a man I thought was my friend volunteers the use of his Hall-built 6PPC HV rifle. Skip dumped out the hat, and George Jr counted it. Over $400. We paid my entry fees, and the rest went to the "take up a collection fund" for the scorers.

I was ready to run, but Dave tells me, "Rich, if you do not cross fire on someone else's target, you can't finish dead last. That proved to be true, at least one or two competitors each relay did. I am thinking I finished up 87th. All of my groups were in the .1 moa range at 100/200. I shot one 5-shot group that measured .09X" at 100. That was good for 16th place. The best target that relay was by Tony Boyer, a .043".

That is the deal on my one and only trip to the SS.

Oh, yeah, we were talking Schuetzen. So, the last day, we are talking about the SS trip, and the issue I saw with Schuetzen. 6PPC's operate at about 101% loading density. It makes for 2-5fps 5-shot spreads. The 32 Miller was about 9-10 fps. Loading density was about 40% with AA#9, aka H110. I suggested to Dean and Cyle that they shorten the case, an arbitrary 1/4 inch. It made sense to me, but Dean and Cyle were polite, but very skeptical. A set of JGS reamers by Keith Francis were about $350. A lot of money to lay out on some gunwriters whim. What made the deal, was that I had sent Dave a reamer print, a 6.5x68S case, and the fireformed Banshee round. He put it on the cover the next month. He even paid me an extra $50. JGS had recently been sold by Keith, to Jim Cuthbert, and I was smart enough to get PS to send a couple copies to them. Jim called me, and offered me a free set of reamers as a way of saying "thank you". So, the Millers and my wife and I are sitting at a picnic table at the Coors Range outside of Golden. I offer them the reamer credit if they want to take a chance. At the same time, I ordered a Schuetzen rifle on the amazing Miller-DeHaas single shot design. The next Spring, again, iirc, the weekend after Easter, we drive up to St Onge, South Dakota. It's about an hour west of Sturgis. We get in about dinner time, and Dean & Cherie ask us to stay at their other house. The next morning we go to their range.

Dean has mounted Cherie's 36X Unertl(sp?) on my rifle, made up 20 cases, and we start shooting. This is a 1.5" bullseye, which is also the 25-ring. 200yds. The first ten shots score a 248-8X. Up a half a grain, 247-7X.
The next two groups score 248-8X and a 249-9X. Every one is smiling. About that time Lowell Hamilton pulls up. The first thing he says after "hello" is "Where is that barn burner midget Rich dreamed up...?".

It turns out that Dean and Cyle took the completed rifle to the range the night before to test. It could have been a bust, if so they would have rechambered it to the standard 32 Miller. Five different people shot that rifle that morning with the same 10.5gr of AA#9, and all ten 10-shot groups, at 200yds, scoped off the bench were 248 or 249. No 23's. We return to town to celebrate, and Dean suggests we call it after me. Having at least a modicum of common sense, I decline. Since Dean was in the business, I proposed the name 32 Miller Short. By end of the next year, it owned Schuetzen, and still does today. Last I heard, every perfect 250-10X since 2000 was using a 32 MS.

I wrote a nine-part series that year on everything you needed to do, building a rifle, learning to cast good bullets, with one of Jerry Barnett's spitzer 215gr molds I cast nearly 300 32 caliber bullets one day that had a total spread of .2gr. It was called "On the Yellow Brick Road, to Golden, Colorado."

So Craig, in a roundabout fashion we are back to your comment. Are you disputing the validity of the Savage packages, or just jealous of me?

What I wrote here represents less than half my PS printed and paid for output over a two year spread.

You've kept me up past my bedtime, and the ComputerStop tech is coming around 9am to install a new computer.

Good night to all. For those of you who read PS in those days, some of this may ring a bell. For those who haven't, this is about ten-percent of what was published. Boyd Mace and I were the live varmint shooters during that era.

Good night,

Rich
still "Just a Rockchuck Shooter from Idaho."

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Funny

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I do not doubt you. However, a custom cobbled Savage change-barrel rifle with interchangeable bolt heads for range use is a far cry from this:

The general concept of interchangeable barrels and calibers was not unique to Remington, nor were they the first. It was dabbled with long before the MSR and long before your efforts. But the MSR takes it all to a new level. The closest things I have seen to the MSR are the fine rifles offered by Accuracy International.

I suspect that Remington drew heavily from the design and features of the AX but in some ways the MSR offers more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That chassis is available for several actions for $700-$1000. My Cera-Kote dealer here is building one in 338 Edge. I did not make a note, but there is a company, perhaps XLR Industries, that offers the detachable 5 and 10 round magazines.

Barrels are available everywhere in 30" lengths and contours to suit. Use the YHM suppressor with QD mounts for every caliber 308 and larger.

Leupold and a few others sell nifty ranging scopes. I got to play with a Horus System at SCI last month that tied everything together in a tested combination.

Check out the Terrafix unit. It integrates a Weather Meter+GPS+Ballistics into a hand held unit that is designed around a couple different reticles, like the H130 in their Predator Model 8-26x50 or Raptor 4-16x50 Non-Illuminated scope.
The Raptor easily calculates out to 1500yds, the Predator 1200+yds.

You guys want to see some tactical eye candy, go to www.horusvision.com

The MSR is completely out of reach for 99% of us here. My version is, at less than $3500.

thanks for the intelligent response.

Some here like to disagree with things I say, based purely on the fact that I said them. Their loss.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is not my problem that you lack the common sense to do any research on your own.

So Craig, in a roundabout fashion we are back to your comment. Are you disputing the validity of the Savage packages, or just jealous of me?

Why in the world would I waste time researching you, things you've done, or should I say, things you claim to have done. I really don't care, I've got better things to do. Your remark regarding me being jealous of you has got to be one of lamest and juvenile comments you have ever made. Make an appointment with a mental health professional, tell him you'd like to talk to him about egotism and how it might apply to you. Seriously.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Internet delusional

One of Us
posted Hide Post
craigster,

pathetic response. Are you and ted related?

I laid the design and components out for you. A standard project if you have the brains God gave a goose. Your response: asking for the PS article and pictures. First, I told you before that I was not going to spend two minutes thumbing through my collection of PS to show you something that is above your comprehension level. Find someone willing to copy the 1988 thru 2000 issues for you, or advertise for a set on Ebay or somewhere.

Did I say Dave opted to print it? Perhaps the folks at Savage expressed some concern over someone less competent, like you, trying to stick one together and blowing themselves up and then wanting to sue everybody.

I note you have no questions yet regarding the long thread on some things that did see print about the same time. If you type my 257 Banshee in and start looking around the long range forums, you will see several references to it and my name.

Perhaps an easier way for you to read some of my stuff. In 1992 PS magazine put out the Precision Shooting Annual. I'm in Volume I, an eighteen page article titled "The Evolution of A Rockchuck Hunter"
Sales were encouraging, so in 1993 the did an second annual. Again, I am in Volume I, a 22 page article entitled "Rockchuck Shooting at the Half Mile Mark, and Beyond". I was extremely gratified to find that Dave chose to make it the first article that year. Living just 350 miles SW of Salmon, Idaho, I had, the year I moved from Illinois to the Boise, Idaho area, made it a point to make frequent trips up to visit Elmer Keith.

Hey, not to digress, but did I tell you all here that about a year ago I bought the Shiloh Sharps that Wolfgang Droege's company built for Elmer Keith. It's pretty neat, for a couple of reasons. First it has the custom serial number EK 100. Second it has a custom serial number, period. It is the only Shiloh Sharps that was ever made, and as a tribute to what many, myself included, consider America's greatest pistol shooter and firearms writer. The current owners, the Bryants say they will NEVER do one. So I think it has double value, aside from being a rather accurate LRE version in 45-90.

Back to Keith, in spring of 1978 my Ranger 6 Man Team had a Memorial Day reunion near Donnelly, Idaho. One of my team had relocated there two years before. We agreed to get together there. Sooo, we had three days there, partying and comparing waistlines, hairlines, and marital status changes. One of my older brothers had accompanied me, and we were toting along ML rifles and rondyvoo gear.I had purchased a genuine S Hawken Rifle from Art Resser, owner of the Hawken Shop in St Louis that early spring. We are headed back down towards Boise, and we see a hand painted sign "Idaho State ML Championships ->". We ended up near Crouch, Idaho, and shot some of the matches. Afterwards, the jug and steaks dinner lasted most of the night. The next morning, one of the guys asked if we were going to cut East to Salmon to see Elmer Keith.
Of course, we did, and got to Salmon mid-afternoon. You could just walk up to his porch to the front door and knock on the door in those days. He answered and after saying good afternoon, asked us if we were members of the NRA. Yes, Life. He invited us in to visit. Spent the rest of the day, and took he and Lorraine (his wife) to dinner. I took that opportunity to buy another copy of "Sixguns" since the two-plus years I spent in RVN had been rather rough on it, and some copies for friends at home.

Anyway, we spent a couple days there visiting and enjoying the countryside. Back to the 1995 annual. Dave had consolidated the two slender volumes into one large volume 509 pages in length. My article on Mr Keith was 23 pages long. I had spent many weekends over the following three years visiting him. He took a liking to me for some reason, and I was allowed to shoot, I think, every Double Rifle he owned during that time. You can see them today at the Cabela's Boise Keith Diorama/display.

Brennan also put out a loose leaf binder Precision Shooting Reloading Guide that fall. My article there was "Reloading for Wildcats, another 26 page essay. I think the highest compliment an editor/publisher ever paid me, aside from the $$$, was the time in 1996 when I was running late with an article Dave wanted for the next month's issue. On the last possible day, he made me promise that I would not slander or libel any one living, or use any vulgarity or profanity. Then he told me to send it straight to the printers office.

From summer of 1988 thru the fall of 2000, iirc, I had articles about ten or eleven issues a year.

So, yes, sometimes I sound a little full of myself. My writing training consisted of two years on my HS newspaper. It has gone from there. I wrote several articles for the "Varmint Hunter" early on. I have a curious streak about all things involving rifle shooting. I had a decent income and I built rifles, or had them built, for Schuetzen (Dean Miller built me the first 32 Miller Shot), Hunter Class Bench Rest (Steve Kostanich built me an HBR in 308 that shot me into 7th place in the TCL League for a year, out of over 400 competitors nationwide. I won the 100yd/200yd and Grand Aggregate 100/200yd Oregon State HBR Championshi in 1992), and Live Varmint rifles in wildcat cartridges that the manufacturers are just now discovering. My 257 Banshee was the current darling 26 Nosler case, based on the 6,5x68 Shuler in 1991. 100gr VLD's pushing nearly 4000fps. I had Dennis Bellm build me a 22-378 Wby AI. A 22-284 I called the 223 Valkyrie.

The cool thing about writing, and getting paid for it, is you meet most all of the industry leaders and innovators on an equal footing.

So, bigtime craigster, why don't you chronicle a few of your exploits for us here? Any published articles, that a magazine or even your hometown newspaper printed that you were paid for?

How about some photos of you with trophies from your African hunts? Pictures from my three Safaris are easily found in the African hunting forums.

Show me up...

But you aren't going to do that are you? Because, I can't find anything you have ever posted here that would even make for entertaining reading sitting on the toilet.

time to ante up or fold...

Rich

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Elk?

Hmmmm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
there's one response here. It says "ignored post by ted thorn..."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So bigtime Rich,

I don't care what you've done, who you knew, or who you blew. Seriously.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
More humor

I'm not hiding.....can't find you Africa pictures.....hmmmm

No pics on your trophy room thread either

Call that nephew quick!!

Still waiting on plane tickets to Reno. You invited my wife and I out there to teach me some manners. I was looking forward to the trip.

I still have your colorful PM you sent us.....you are indeed entertaining.....most windy people are

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, never been anywhere or done anything craigster, nobody knows, let alone cares that you have never done anything noteworthy in your entire life...

Had I mentioned earlier that; like raising your voice to another person in a disagreement, like the gratuitous use of vulgarity or profanity, as Mark Twain so eloquently put it "...is the sign of a feeble intellect...".

Specifically, in your case, the references to homosexual predilection towards or past activity on your part is very telling. Have you considered counseling to deal with that sort of behavior?

Seriously...

Rich

One other thing, I find it interesting that you choose to use a small "c" to spell your first name. Some feelings of submissiveness or unworthiness surfacing? Appending the "ster" to your name is a thing adults do to children as a sign of affection. Got some of that in your background...?

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Rich

My wife is a health care professional with behavioral health as her speciality.

She could help you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Mark Twain also said, " Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid rather than to open it and remove all doubt. "

Something you might want to think about.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It's like a car wreck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you might better have tried following your own sage advice there son, not knowing who you are dealing with is dangerous to your emotional well being.

In this instance, however; it is obviously much too late for you to recover from the hole you have dug for yourself.

Rule 4D: when you find you have dug yourself a deep hole; the first thing to do is stop digging.

You're too vain to do that though. You keep thinking that you will find something more intelligent to post than the equivalent of "Oh yeah? Same to you...".

Rich

you know something funny? I just noticed you and ted are the only two people here that refer to yourselves in all lower case characters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you might better have tried following your own sage advice there son, not knowing who you are dealing with is dangerous to your emotional well being.

In this instance, however; it is obviously much too late for you to recover from the hole you have dug for yourself.

Rule 4D: when you find you have dug yourself a deep hole; the first thing to do is stop digging.

You're too vain to do that though. You keep thinking that you will find something more intelligent to post than the equivalent of "Oh yeah? Same to you...".

Rich

you know something funny? I just noticed you and ted are the only two people here that refer to yourselves in all lower case characters.

"not knowing who you are dealing with is dangerous to your emotional health"

I feel threatened.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Always entertaining.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't feel threatened.

I would summarize this back and forth more along the lines of you being ignorant in public, assuming equality in the discussion, corrected, and properly chastised.

But not silenced, or adult enough to admit you were in error.

take care,

Rich

PS: a possible solution would be to talk to me about it and we just let it go.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Hint

diggin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
don't feel threatened.

I would summarize this back and forth more along the lines of you being ignorant in public, assuming equality in the discussion, corrected, and properly chastised.

But not silenced, or adult enough to admit you were in error.

take care,

Rich

PS: a possible solution would be to talk to me about it and we just let it go.

I would summarize it as braggadocio and innuendo, and it's all coming from you. Add to that your weak attempt at being psychoanalytic. And then advising that not knowing who one is dealing with could be dangerous. So what is that, some sort of threat that's intended to be intimidating? My guess is you're suffering from a complex of inferiority, and posting here, in the manner you do, is your way of compensating for it. Rather sad, you might be an affable fellow in the real world

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still not capable of seeing that you are wrong yet, eh?

Actually, I do expect that you know you are in the wrong, just not adult enough to admit it though, are you?

What I think you are missing, is that having accomplished nearly everything I set out to do in life, people like you who haven't yet just amuse me.

Admit it, you have nothing to contribute here...

regards,

Rich