New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK full auto lower
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a pre ban Model HK 91in .308 Would like to get a full auto lower and suggestions where I can find one ? Yes I live in a state where you can own a machine gun.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You can't just buy a FA lower and make a full auto rifle; it has to be already on paper. The G3 lowers are easy to get, from HKparts.net among others.
However, the HK91 is made so a G3 lower won't fit anyway; for exactly that reason. You might already know this.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the input

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought this was the purpose of getting a registered HK full auto sear?

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't think it is that easy on an HK just to drop in a sear; you need the complete trigger pack (lower receiver with all the components), and a full auto bolt carrier.
That conversion costs $10,000, because they can't be made any more.
If it is, please post the details here. I have not worked on an HK for a while.

one of us
posted Hide Post
HKpro.com has a piece by Hoel and Bardwell, titled "The Complete Reference on the Legal NFA Conversion of HK Firearms". It's about the best single article on the subject I've read.

If you get nothing else from it, understand that HK full-auto conversions are diverse. And the important details (ie., NFA legalities) are not especially intuitive (well, to my pea brain).

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The most important thing for any "conversion" is that you can't legally do it for individual ownership. New full autos were banned in 1986. So, you are either a class 3 manufacturer, (you can't sell it to an individual), or you get one made before 1986. Hence the ten$k.
Most guys I talk to asking this question are planning to do something in the backwoods of Montana. Along with a few felonies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You're probably right. Thought I'd give the benefit of doubt.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey just cause I live in Montana doesn't make me a felon. I would rather spend $10k than 30K for a new rifle. I might have to purchase a different gun such as a Sten or Reising which seem affordable. HK53 seems affordable also. What is the Pre-May designation ? any benefit to getting FFL to qualify for that ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ill check out that article Sam thanks for posting

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:
Hey just cause I live in Montana doesn't make me a felon. I would rather spend $10k than 30K for a new rifle. I might have to purchase a different gun such as a Sten or Reising which seem affordable. HK53 seems affordable also. What is the Pre-May designation ? any benefit to getting FFL to qualify for that ?

Sorry. Also sorry you won't likely find a transferable HK sear pack for less than $25k, maybe $30k now. Unless you find someone who doesn't know what he has. They bring more than M-16 reg receivers. A sear pack (to reiterate, it depends on the specifics) might enable you to use your 91 as sear host.

Pre-May '86 relates to 922 (o), Hughes amendment, exception allowing dealers to keep certain NFA in their possession after dropping license, also to sell/transfer them to other dealers. They bring less than transferables, but more than post-'86 dealer samples.

Some friends have the manufacturing license to (greatly oversimplifying here - lots of hoops) build stuff like M-249s, etc. Post-samples don't appreciate, tho.

Entry level guns I'd consider are Stens, or derivatives (like BRP stuff), Smith 76/MK4, FS Uzi (reg receiver only), M-10. M-11s, I suppose, because of the Barbi-esque accessorizing. But I'd rather have a M-10. Reisings can be finicky, not my idea of a high volume beater, nor is a M2 carbine, nor is a Mini-14.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked into the manufacturing aspect and the required paperwork for a FFL type 7 and the ITAR registration and cost that goes along with it. ill probably just bite the bullet and get my FFL to start with and then get my SOT rating. Do you have a class 3 dealer you like to use or suggest ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://fflgundealers.com/MT_guns.html

https://www.ffl123.com/class-3...ana-class-3-dealers/

Above from a quick search. Subguns.com used to post a "recommended" dealer list by state, but the site recently devolved kinda. Probably the highest-volume MG dealer is Ruben Mendiola, in FL. He has an excellent rep, good website, and is able to justify his prices. When purchasing your first NFA something to be said for dealer reputation. You can also go the auction route. There's usually someone knowledgeable involved to go over stuff, and verify both condition and originality, ie., whether you could have an ATF issue downline. People do some really dumb things, from improper original registration to patently illegal alterations of what were legal NFA.

There's recent auctions scheduled (with NFA) at both Poulins and Morphys.

A really good approach is to find someone experienced in NFA, go to a few shoots, and learn before buying. That's what I did.

Downside was watching prices climb while I hemmed and hawed. I had chest pain paying for my first M-16. Didn't even blink paying $4k more for the next. Would sell all my non-NFA stuff to buy 16s at that price today.