Find
Notify
Tools

RPR in 5.56
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rik
posted
I just ordered a new Ruger Precision Rifle in 5.56 NATO with a 1 in 7 twist 20 inch barrel from an on-line retailer. I was unaware that Ruger chambered this rifle in 5.56 or 223 - not on their website currently. Does anyone know about this chambering in this rifle? Is the rifle of a previous generation and if so how does it differ from the current gen? I'm anticipating being able to use very long low drag bullets - is it safe to assume that the magazine and throat will accomodate the long bullets? And finally any ideas on why the 5.56/223 chambering doesn't seem to have caught on with consumers? I understand that it won't beat 6.5 or 308 at very long ranges. My daughter and I will be sharing it and are looking forward to recreational shooting and skill improvement with it and if we get so good that we want to go on to the next step and engage in longer range or competition then I can have it rebarreled to 6.5. I will of course be handloading for it. Views and discussion would be appreciated.
Rick

Posts: 38 | Location: Coquitlam, BC | Registered: 13 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5 and a .338 RPR; great for the money.
I know nothing about their chamber; you will have to determine that when you get it anyway.
If you want to rebarrel it to 6.5 Creedmoor you will need a bolt too. Which Ruger won't sell you.

Posts: 17091 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Have this rifle NIB and planned to run those long heavies out of it, as the guys on the Sniper's Hide forums have reported great luck with them in the RPR.
Decided I'll be selling it to fund a 6.5 Grendel build.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rik: Does anyone know about this chambering in this rifle? Is the rifle of a previous generation and if so how does it differ from the current gen?

I'm pretty sure it's the latest gen. It's basically a new version of the RPR that's cheaper to feed. I don't know how much of it is interchangeable with the regular RPR though. It's set up for shooting heavy 22's with the tight twist and magazine length. They even have a rimfire RPR that's even cheaper to feed for people who want to practice with the "same" rifle they use in competition.

It should do what you want but to change to 308 you may be better off changing rifles. Have fun!