THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    Anyone built an AK from a parts kit?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone built an AK from a parts kit?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted
Anyone built their own AK? How did it go? Any recommended supplier that you might recommend? Any to avoid? I don't need another AR and heard building up a parts kit isn't too difficult.

Thanks.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
As with everything, everyone has their own opinion. Mine is that they are not too bad. More difficult than the typical erector set ARs but less so than milling a receiver.

I used Nodak-Spud receivers. They are available in various styles to match whatever parts kit you decide on. Classic Firearms can provide a new barrel if your parts don't include one and most of the recent ones do not. BATF stuff.

Assembly of the trunions, front and rear, takes riveting ability and possibly tools you purchase or make depending on your level of technical ability. The TG and such also rivets in. Some folks don't do that but rather tap the trunions and use cap screws and do basically the same with the other areas.

I have a lot of reference materials and sources of build instruction. PM me with your email and I will send you some stuff to get going with. May take me a week but I'll get it there.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a kit but had someone else build it for me. It took him a few hours. The main thing that I remember was that he had a special "press" to bend the receiver which came as a flat sheet of metal.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
built two from kits used screws on rear trunnion and screws on trunnion in mag well then tigged at top of front trunnion, it actually turned out very well, used baking lacquer from midway and my wifes oven to cure paint, very dependable but typical ak accuracy. Learning to install trigger group is a challenge very similar to ar.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierra whiskey:
built two from kits used screws on rear trunnion and screws on trunnion in mag well then tigged at top of front trunnion, it actually turned out very well, used baking lacquer from midway and my wifes oven to cure paint, very dependable but typical ak accuracy. Learning to install trigger group is a challenge very similar to ar.

"My wife's oven to cure paint"!!! Always a winning idea as long as she doesn't find out. "What's that smell, honey? Oh nothing. Neighbors must be burning plastic...."

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's that smell, honey? Oh nothing. Neighbors must be burning plastic...."

My wife didn't believe that one our neighbors live a long ways away.

Posts: 19295 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hans Moleman
posted Hide Post
I built two, a polish underfolder on a flat, and a romy on a ffl receiver. I have two milled ones in the works, got the barrels made for them so far. Haven't pressed the parts on the barrels yet. One will be on a ffl receiver and the other a reweld. Just need to get motivated to finish them. There are many work arounds for riveting, barrel and pin pressing. They do take more time than slapping together an ar15 but if you're somewhat mechanical you can do it with ease.

350 Legend, imitation is the highest form of flattery. Aww, Thanks Winchester!

Posts: 31 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 June 2016Reply With Quote