THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    .458 SOCOM pistol to piston operation.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.458 SOCOM pistol to piston operation.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted
I have a Superlative Arms conversion kit. Has anyone done a conversion on the G.I. system? Are there any kinks to watch out for? Any tutorials you know about you can share? Thanks! Packy

One of Us
Picture of Hans Moleman
posted Hide Post
Sort of apples to oranges because they're different piston kits and chamberings, but I have a CMMG piston kit on a 44x1.6" which is like the 44 version of the bushmaster. The regulator on the CMMG kit had off/adverse/standard positions and was sold for 223/5.56. In order to get it to run on the lower pressure round the fixed port on the regulator had to be opened up incrementally until it would lock the bolt back on an empty magazine when fired. Other than having to open up the regulator port it has been a drama free swap and keeps the upper noticeably cleaner especially when running a suppressor.

350 Legend, imitation is the highest form of flattery. Aww, Thanks Winchester!

Posts: 31 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 June 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks much Hans.

One of Us
Picture of Hans Moleman
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your project, be interested to see how that piston system turns out on it. I've got one more of the old CMMG kits that I'm debating putting on something, but it'll likely go on a 223 as the big steel gas block on these kits adds a bunch of weight to the front which ends up being noticeable when you add in a suppressors weight. Hopefully here's a pic of the piston system I'm using on that rifle.

350 Legend, imitation is the highest form of flattery. Aww, Thanks Winchester!

Posts: 31 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 June 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of those very kits on a .223 upper. No surprises and no hiccups in the .223 caliber. There may be on the SOCOM. Like you say, apples and oranges. Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 223 upper with the CMMG kit. No hiccups there. Like you said though, apples to oranges. Packy