New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inland 30 carbine
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone seen a Inland (new manufacture) 30 cal carbine?

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Are those built on surplus receivers or new receivers?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, they are built on new receivers.

I saw a pic when they were first announced, in which "INLAND" was featured in huge print on the action, in a way totally inconsistent with the originals, and promptly yawned and moved on.

Sorry not to have more info.
John

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Inland is simply the latest company taking advantage of the popularity of the M1 carbine since the HBO series "Band Of Brothers"

Since that series aired prices of original Carbines have skyrocketed from around $100-150 to $800-$1100.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John A.:
If I recall correctly, they are built on new receivers.

I saw a pic when they were first announced, in which "INLAND" was featured in huge print on the action, in a way totally inconsistent with the originals, and promptly yawned and moved on.

Sorry not to have more info.
John

The only question I had is do they work your not buying an original.

Posts: 19350 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
It would be great if they offered them in .357 Mag. I'd buy one to go with my .30 Carbine if they did.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nick Adams
posted Hide Post
Commercial junk.

Get a real G.I. carbine, or better still, an M1 Garand. ... But CMP-vetted only.

Posts: 376 | Location: Midwest, USA | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
It would be great if they offered them in .357 Mag. I'd buy one to go with my .30 Carbine if they did.

One of those "if only" things. If the military had specified a rimless version of the .357 magnum for the carbine, what an effective close range weapon it would have been. I suspect bean counters had a hand in the development.

In spite of its anemic cartridge, the carbine ranks very high on my "fun to shoot" list.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
If we are to dream.....

The 5.7 Johnson (.22/.30 Carbine) was a great idea. It would have been almost as effective as the 5.56mm if used by the military. But the cartridge is really relegated to wildcat status.

However, M1 Carbines could be made in 5.7x28mm FN. If Inland did that I would definitely buy one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hogfarmer:
quote:

One of those "if only" things. If the military had specified a rimless version of the .357 magnum for the carbine, what an effective close range weapon it would have been. I suspect bean counters had a hand in the development.

In spite of its anemic cartridge, the carbine ranks very high on my "fun to shoot" list.

In terms of power the 30Carbine round Is actually more powerful than the 357Magnum.

The 30carbine's primary handicap was the use of FMJ bullets...

My favorite local toy store has a military carbine, actually an Inland, that has been re-chambered & re-bored to 45WinchesterMagnum, but my enthusiasm disappeared when I saw the $850 price tag...

What the 30carbine really is, is a slightly re-engineered version of the 32WSL cartridge, if only it had instead been a 351WSL...

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The CMP is long sold out of carbines and are currently out of Garands; so that era is gone, which is why repro carbines are being made again. I have seen, not fired, the new Inlands and they seem fine, as do the Rock Olas.

Posts: 17090 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd buy one of these as well. I just don't want to reload for .30 Carbine and the factory ammo isn't what I would want in bullet selection.

357 mag would be very entertaining

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another idea for a carbine. Winchester submitted a carbine in 223 for the bid that became the AR. How about just expanding the 223 case to 30 cal. What do you have then. 300 BO. That would work for me.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Adams:
Commercial junk.

Get a real G.I. carbine, or better still, an M1 Garand. ... But CMP-vetted only.

These are very much better made than the old Universal and other Philippine clones. They are also at or over $1000 new which is stupid money for a new production M-1, even if the margin is reasonable. But reliability is still matter of magazine quality and ammo quality.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikethebear:
Another idea for a carbine. Winchester submitted a carbine in 223 for the bid that became the AR. How about just expanding the 223 case to 30 cal. What do you have then. 300 BO. That would work for me.

Isn't that basically the 300 Blackout and in a much better platform than Winchester submitted?

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There will soon be an M1 Carbine made in .223. A carbon copy except for a slightly longer receiver.
I can't tell you from whom but look for it within one year, which is fast for a new rifle.
It will be made in the USA, milled from steel and walnut.

Posts: 17090 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote