New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR assembly guide
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been bitten by the AR bug. About to build my first under the supervision of a retired gunsmith buddy. Already bought two more lowers for two more builds. I would like to have a detailed assembly guide with good pictures around to help me with future builds. I have seen some good articles on the internet but have not been able to print them off. Any advice?

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 481 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You tube lots of good videos out there telling and showing you how.

Posts: 19304 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Copy and paste this term into bing and it will give you quite a few to shoose from:

AR15 assembly guide filetypeRazzerdf

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7754 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
that last one is "filetype : PDF"

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7754 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drj:
Been bitten by the AR bug. About to build my first under the supervision of a retired gunsmith buddy. Already bought two more lowers for two more builds. I would like to have a detailed assembly guide with good pictures around to help me with future builds. I have seen some good articles on the internet but have not been able to print them off. Any advice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8sY5CQmlHI

If you don't like that one there are lots more on U tube

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Go enlist.

They'll teach you how to disassemble/assemble one so you can do it in your sleep.

After not touching one for 25 years after I got out, I finally broke down and bought one. I had no problem remembering how it was done.

Big Grin

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1145 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry Potterfield from Midway USA has great how-to videos on youtube. He has one for the lower, another for the upper. Includes a lot of nifty tricks.

One suggestion: since you already have three to build, spend hte extra money and buy the right AR-15 particular tools. You will make the money back the first time you build one.

Regards,

roo_ster

"We live in an unreasonable age, ruled by ridiculous people."
----Zman

Posts: 61 | Location: Texas | Registered: 12 June 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slowpoke Slim:
Go enlist.

They'll teach you how to disassemble/assemble one so you can do it in your sleep.

After not touching one for 25 years after I got out, I finally broke down and bought one. I had no problem remembering how it was done.

Big Grin

I got a laugh out of that one. So true; can add the .45 1911 to the list of skill sets passed on by Uncle Sam as well.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Absolutely not; we do not allow any soldier to disassemble the lower receiver fire control group, the dust cover or barrel removal.
So, enlisting, whilst I think a good thing, will not teach you how to assemble an AR.

Posts: 17016 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Absolutely not; we do not allow any soldier to disassemble the lower receiver fire control group, the dust cover or barrel removal.
So, enlisting, whilst I think a good thing, will not teach you how to assemble an AR.

Correct field stripping for routine maintenance is different then detailed disassembly .

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Absolutely not; we do not allow any soldier to disassemble the lower receiver fire control group, the dust cover or barrel removal.
So, enlisting, whilst I think a good thing, will not teach you how to assemble an AR."

Enlist as a 91F and you'll learn, although judging buy the soldiers coming out of AIT, you can learn more on youtube!

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True; but he just said, Enlist. Not as a Small Arms Repairman. And that has to be at DS maintenance level at least. Unit armorers are not allowed (nor are they equipped) to remove barrels, etc. I'm not sure what the Armorers in the units I was in, actually did, except open the Arms room to issue weapons. Mostly tank machine guns and M3A1 SMGs, later M4s, and 45, later, 9mm pistols. I never actually saw them do any "repair". Job order them to DS, mostly.

Posts: 17016 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
You wanna hear sad. In the USAF we qualified with ar-15 in 22LR but I did learn how to open and close the bolt.

quote:
Originally posted by Slowpoke Slim:
Go enlist.

Big Grin

Posts: 6353 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Paste it into dudkduckgo.com and you will be using a search engine that does NOT track you.
In fact use www.duckduckgo.com for all internet searches and keep the net nanny tracking search ware away from your computer,

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote