New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR 15 Trggers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it possible to improve a trigger on a AR-15 .204 caliber? Mine seems to have great deal of "play".

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are many after marget triggers out there that well work well for what you want.

Posts: 19332 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Replace it with an AR Xtreme.
X-treme match triggers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can work over an ar trigger with polishing, new springs etc. they can be done making quite an improvement. or you can just buy a replacement drop in like a timney for about $160. but be somewhat careful & do not go to light. i've found that under 3#'s or so you get unreliable ignition with anything with military primers. much of the trigger improvement relays on the weight of the hammer spring

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Timney or Geissele.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I prefer a single stage for precision shooting. The Timney is what I use. It's the closest thing I've found to a decent bolt gun trigger. I think the majority of the AR-15 guy's like a two stage though.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what Xtreme is selling...

The Geiselle (sp) is the best I have shot.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
I've had a Chip McCormick for a couple years that I have been very happy with. It's also a drop in unit so it was very easy to install.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ehg5640:
Is it possible to improve a trigger on a AR-15 .204 caliber? Mine seems to have great deal of "play".

I recently built an AR-15 in .458 SOCOM. I put a Jewel two-stage trigger in the lower. It was pricey, but it is the best trigger I've ever felt in an AR type rifle. Also, don't count out a two-stage trigger until you've shot a good one. The Jewel is a good one and the match two-stage triggers in the Garand and M-14 tuned by Fulton Armory are fantastic.

If you're on a budget, you can't beat the match trigger sold by Rock River Arms. I don't know the cost offhand, but they have them on their website. I've shot them and they are very good quality triggers. Good luck.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 to much of what was said. Giselle's are fantastic. If you want a "good" trigger on the cheap send toyr trigger assembly to Bill Springfield. He's done a few of mine. It's like $50 he polishes em up nice and takes em down to 3.5/4lb. Smooth and sweet. I like them better than RR and LMT 2 stage set ups.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the helpful information. I will follow up on your suggestions.

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Geiselle (sp) is the best I have shot.

I wanted a Geiselle when I upgrade, but they were on a year long back order.

I've installed two Jewel's in ARs. One looked like it was a second grade shop project. I had to rework it with a hand file myself in order to get it to work. The other was a beautiful piece of art. It was hard to believe they came from the same factory.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Xtreme is equal to or better than the Geiselle in feel. It is better in that it is made from nitrided tool steel - hence the "hard body" model.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the chip mccormick trigger

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know people that rave about the Geiselle, but they are out of stock everywhere it seems. I have two of the Rock River two stage match triggers, first two stage triggers I ever tried and I was pleasantly surprised with them. I got them with the entire lowereparts kits for around $120, so that is a pretty good deal.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have received 3 Geisselle triggers from White Oak Armament in the last 3 weeks. I think they are great.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RRA triggers are failure prone.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't drop a comment like that without some information to back it up. I've don't lots of rearch and NEVER heard that before, which trigger, they have a least three, that I know of, what failures?

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I've shot a Jewell for over 15 years and it is as good as my Giessele match. I think the Giessele is a little more defined on the second stage, but the Jewell is a little lighter. Weighed just this past Monday the Giessele broke at 2 lbs 8 ounces, with the 2 lbs being the first stage.

Regardless of your quality choice the enhanced performance of the rifle is what you seek, a great trigger will unlock that door.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I polish the angled surface of the trigger to a mirror finish with no other modifications.

This removes the grit and makes the trigger feel much better. I do this mod to all my AR15's

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote