New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need your advice on .308 AR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What would you recommend for a an AR type rifle in a .308? WIll be used for hunting and fun shooting at silohettes.

I like the Remington R25 but is there a more accurate or better alternative?

Thanks.

Posts: 10095 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I've got an Armalite AR10t, 308/7.62. Very accurate but heavy as hell with the bull barrel.
I also have an Armalite AR10A4 carbine, light weight accurate out to 300 or so yards. I'm mostly shooting torso sized gongs off hand or kneeling. at 200 and 300 yards using a holographic sight.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rock River Arms now fields a 308 AR 10 type rifle. Their stuff isn't too bad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ArmaLite's function/shoot well & they don't accept plastic/tupperware magazines!!

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up an AR-10 338 fed Armalite. She is nice but oh so heavy compared to the stags I have been hunting with over the last 2 years; something I'd consider.

I also think the 6.8 spc has pretty close to 308 capabilities within 500 yards.

Other calibers out there also on lighter guns.

I killed caribou out to 550 yards with 6.8 last fall and it put them right down. I'd have all the confidence on a kill zone shot on a moose too. I got the 338, thinking about bear. It will be my trk gun, we catch moose & caribou crossing the road at dusk come fall. I'd hate to carrying that heavy you know what after those 6 lb stag carbines.

Couple years back, I picked up a BAR Safari in 338 mag. Was going to be my blueberry picking gun up on the summit. It was in such nice shape, heavy, that it sits in the vault and I take the old 45-70 every time.

I'd really compare the weights on diff 308s and other calibers.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rock River Arms. Very accurate, great factory 2-stage trigger, takes FAL mags, and priced right.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
I have a DPMS 308 SASS. Very accurate but also really heavy. Good value and comes with all the de rigueur mall-ninja accessories.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Armalite.

Have a 20" barrel on mine. It's no light weight. Light weight and full-power .30 cal automatics don't really go together. With a 16x scope & extended rail it weighs about 10 1/2lbs, just a tad bit more than an M1 Garand, but holds 20 rounds. Very accurate, loves to shoot 175gr Sierras.

It has a match trigger that is very good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buddy just got a LaRue UBR 7.62. I put a few rounds downrange with it, and it is a nice rifle.

He has put alot more rounds downrange with it now and says it is very accurate. Sub MOA at 100 yards.

But like everything else from LaRue, expensive, but you get what you pay for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want an accuracy guarantee Les Baer makes a .308 AR that has a .5 MOA guarantee. It's a bit more expensive than most of what people are talking about here.

I also shot a JP Enterprises .308 AR that is really nice, and has a sub MOA guarantee, but again in the $3K range.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
My DPMS is vastly more accurate --- out of the box -- than I ever expected---
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 923 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Armalite's are very good and my T model shoots sub MOA with Fed or Win GM M. Handloads a little better with Varget and RL15. Doesn't seem to matter.

If you wanna spend a few dollars and want serious accuracy you can look to LesBaer as another poster indicated. I went NOVESKE for an upper. 18" H-barrel. WOW! .5 is the norm.

All depends on what you want to pay and what accuracy you expect.