THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN COLLECTING FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House on fire... Which gun would you save?
 Login/Join

Picture of boomstick
posted
Survey...

You pull up into the driveway and the house is on fire... you only have time to make one trip into the house. Which gun woulld you save?

"When I die, I want to die like my grandmother who died peacefully in her sleep.
Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."
-Author Unknown

Posts: 30 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A family heirloom, or my best self defense weapon. All other guns can be replaced. Not that the self defense gun can't be replaced, but I'm well trained with that weapon and we be mates!

"Honey, when I die, please sell my guns for what they're worth and NOT what I told you I paid for them."

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Same song 100 and 50th. verse, my 375 H&H, although, I would probably try to drag my CZ550, 458 Win. Mag. out at the same time.

No that is a lie, I would stand in there chunking guns out the window till the last second, they can always be re-sighted in. JMO

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hoeram
posted Hide Post
Remington 700 custom in 358 STA.

Hoeram Big Grin

NRA Benefactor Member
USAF Ret.

Posts: 166 | Location: Fruitland , WA. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad's Model 12 Winchester.

J. Shields

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whichever one that might be loaded. Big Grin

A cartridge in a chamber cooks off differently than one in a paper box.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If everything more valuable than the guns were saved, I would save the Remington Model 600 in .308 Win. I bought it new as a kid. The first new gun I ever bought. It's semi-retired now, but man what a history we had together.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I have a fire proof safe and my security system has already called the fire department I get my car out of the driveway and make room for the Fire Department. No gun is worth my life.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
my byf 1942 mauser k98k..

but i agree with a post a few back.. probably start chucking the other ones out the window! Big Grin

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't matter much....they're all insured for replacement value. I'd probably let the insurance company buy them all, rather than argue with them over why I could save one and not others. Then at my late age, I'd probably use the money for a two or three year trip to parts of the world I haven't yet seen or want to see again.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either my old cooey or my grandmothers 16 sxs The others can be replaced.

the chef

one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
Whoose house ?

I Might Be Tired From Hunting ,
But I Will Never Tire Of Hunting .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of foxshot
posted Hide Post
My little 20g holland and holland s/s R fully refurbished last year, my boy.

Posts: 19 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My ancestor fought with Ethan Allen in the revolutionary war using a rifle that is now mine,it was converted to percussion early-mid 1800's,saw service in the Civil War.Since the invention of cameras our family has taken a picture of the elder handing it to the next generation.Along with the bullet mould + powder horn that would be my first consideration.Everything else could be replaced,that one could not.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4200 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My pre war S&W K-22 that my Dad gave me when I was ten, some 56 years ago.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would save my P.O. Ackley Mauser 98 in 7x57 that my father gave to me when I was 14.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
on route to the gun cabinet i would stop and pee pissers on all the tubs of powder i have in my office, if the the fire gets to them first it would be like nov 5th round here.

then i would proceed to throw the whole cabinet out the window!

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post

Grandpa's M99 Savage

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
If everything more valuable than the guns were saved

Finally somebody said it. Assuming all family was out of the house and I could get in without getting burnt up I would get the Mod 700 .243 that was my grandpa's. Its only about 30 years old but it is the only thing I have that belonged to my grandpa.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmmmm -- seeing as I'm ON the Fire Dept. here.

The gun safe is in the corner of the house, first floor. First of all, it's fire resistant. Second, we'd take the rotary saw and cut around the edges of the safe and haul it out with the winch.

Yeah, we've discussed this drill. *L*

But there are several thousand rounds against the back wall -- Which is where we use a wall penetrator nozzle, spray the room down, vent, and haul the ammo out through the hole -- It's all on a rack and should come out in one piece, more or less.

-- But then I'm not the Chief, who may have other plans.

Our big worry locally is propane tanks, and diesel storage in the barn for the tractor. But "stored ammo" is on the list. Car fires often entail ammo stored in the glove box or in an ammo can behind the seat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seeing the question leads to what favorite rifle...
mine would be my Husqvarna .358 Norma Magnum. If I had a few seconds more, my .30 Newton next. Then my
.256 Newton.
That's the short of it..
Tom

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gordy
posted Hide Post
I don't have a big lot of guns but I have a Beretta 301 12 gauge autoloader that I bought the first fall out of high school. It means a great deal to me. Thats what I would go for
regards
Dan

Posts: 45 | Location: nfld canada | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
My first deer rifle. A model 7 6mm with a lot of good memories behind it.....and my Weatherby (I have two hands)....and really my Glock don't count because I'm wearing it...and my 870...
Damn this is like picking which kid to rescue. The only answer is all of them!! dancing

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote