Notify
Tools

Do other gun shows do this?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gentlemen:
I have been attending and/or selling at the gun shows in Palmer, Alaska for 30+ years.

This year the town will require all vendors to purchase a 2-day business license for 10$ to have a table at the show that is hosted by the Palmer Lions Club. In addition we are to sbmit a list of sales dollars and pay the town a 3% sales tax on items sold. Of course, the paperwork included statements of penalties and fines if not done, and not done in a timely manner.

This is a pain, but livable. My concern is now that this information is on line, what will be the situation if the IRS sees private individuals now having a business licenses and collecting sales taxes?

This will be my last show in Palmer.

Do other gun shows do this?
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Sadly a lot of shows are having to do this and in some case the license is in the $50-$150 range for the weekend. Depends on the town and state.

Posts: 672 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a business license and sell guns without an ffl does that run you afoul of the friggen batfe??????? Federal felonies are a bitch I hear!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just move the show, problem solved. Wink Taxes is one reason a lot of our businesses are moving out of the large urban centers to smaller ones.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is all about money. You might check the town's business regulations. In some locals you are supposed to collect sales on anything you sell, new, used, commercial, private, etc. Looks like the town just realized how much money was changing hands and decided to get their share. In the past I have seen shows move out of the incorporated city and into the county to avoid the issue.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't speak for gun shows, but some years back, California notified all coin dealers that were going to take a table at a show in Cal. (at the time, the Long Beach show was considered a major show, thanks, in large part to this law, I think, no longer) had to fill out all the relevant business forms and that, for income tax purposes, the days they spent in Cal would establish a "nexus" that one had to use to pay Cal income taxes. That was to be my last Cal coin show where I was a dealer. Didn't go, and now try to avoid Cal every chance I get. I feel good just flying over it on non-stops out of DFW. Smiler

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here we are required to fill ouit a form. it askes if you are a dealer or reseller and then asks for your sales tax id number, or if you are an individual selling his own stuff off - then you don't need anything more

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote