Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tracking a serial number
 Login/Join

posted
Guys, I have a winchester model 1896 and the serial number is OFW17995 in 38-55 caliber. Can any of you tell me about this gun. I have tried to use some of the other serial number tracking links....no luck. Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Location: Virginia Beach | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Norfbay---

There is no model 1896...... The letters before the number means its almost certainly an "Oliver F Winchester" 1894 commemorative rifle offered sometimes in the 70s when Winchester resorted to gimmicks and commemorative junk guns to stay afloat.

They're worth about retail if still in the original box and absolutely new condition. Otherwise they're a hundred dollar rifle with a bad reputation for quality and utility.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's what I thought. My Dad asked me to look it up for him and figured you guys would know if anyone did. Thank you veru much for the info.

Norfbay.

Posts: 2 | Location: Virginia Beach | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what they are "worth" but they seem to sell regularly for $450 and up in the box. Check auctionarms.com and gunbroker.com to see some sales numbers.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote