New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre war Mod. 70 1945
 Login/Join

<Terry P>
posted
Pre war Win. mod. 70 that was made in 1945. It has a Tilden safety. The rear bridge has not been drilled and tapped.

It has a Griffin & Howe side mount with a (what I believe to be a 2 1/2 X Lyman Alaskan....it says All Weather on the side of the scope)

In the Rule book. "The Rifleman's Rifle....these scopes and mounts could have been ordered from Winchester but was discontinued in 1941. ??

Now the bad part....the stock has been carved, very nicely done with the old mans initialed etc.

What would this rifle be worth? It's in real good condition...about 95% but with the modifications.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What are they asking? How deep is the carving?

Since it has the G&H side mount I would pass it by for myself. I have too many projects going now and somebody elses stuff on a gun does not turn me on if you know what I mean.

Offer $300. That way you can shoot it and then sell it when your tired of it.

To add: What caliber is it? If it's a rare one then.......... aw heck. I am not a dealer.

[ 12-22-2002, 20:44: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
The caliber was 30-06 and the carving is deep. It would probably make a nice rifle with a custom stock. I offered $550 but the owner wants $600...I'm kind of glad he didn't take the $550. It's a nice rifle but just too chopped up. I'll pass on this one.

<JBelk>
posted
Terry P---

I'm a little more confused than normal....there were no M-70s made in 1944 or '45. 1943 was a parts clean-up year with some crude ones being shipped. Give me all but the last two digits and I can try to ID it.

Holes in the side of a Model 70 cost ten bucks to drill and nearly a hundred a piece to repair. A carved stock with a pad added is worth about $20. I think the owner is asking about double what I'd pay. You did well to dodge it, I think.

<Terry P>
posted
I got the date from the blue book?? ........I just now looked that up in one of my Winchester books...it must have been made in 1942. The serial number was 52xxx as well as I can remember.
Terry

<Terry P>
posted

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Rule book says that the following quantities of rifles were made in the the following years

1943: 777
1944: 14
1945: 924

The Rule book places a 52,xxx serial number as 1946 production.

This information is on page 57.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
<RickMD>
posted
How can it be "pre-war" if it was made in 1945? The War ended in 1945.... It began in 1941 if anyone is interested.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW - my 2cents worth: I think you did good to pass. At a shop nearby is a 1937 '06 for $450. Sounds great but... has had a G&H sidemount on it in the past and the stock looks like it is 60+ years old... Still, if I could get it for $375 I would be tempted. I just picked up a 1960 FW in 243, hand checkered stock, varnish is starting to go, only other bad thing was had been cut an ugly Pachmyar white line pad added. Still, I got it for relativly short money ($500) so to me it is worth it as a sound rifle for my son or daughter. Keep looking - there are some good deals if you know what to look for...

Posts: 140 | Location: Cow Hampshire | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote