Find
Notify
Tools

German Luger magazine
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted
My Dad used to collect WWII stuff including a few 9MM German Lugers. When going through some his old stuff, I found a Luger magazine, and I am trying to ascertain whether or not it is worth anything. The bottom of the magazine appears to be aluminum, and it has several markings on it. On top is stamped "8434". Below that is what looks like a lower case script "l", and below that is a "+" marking. At the bottom is stamped (what looks like) a tiny bird with outstretched wings and below that a tiny "63". Anyone out there know anything about these magazines that could help me out? I can send a photo via email to anyone interested.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I'm interested to hear more about this as well,from someone more knowledgeable than me. Considering the A/L base + the supposed bird (waffen stamped) I would assume wartime mfg. I recently sold one of mine that was an original 1908 mfg. DWM that had as its mag floorplate carved from wood.That was not aftermarket, that was the way that quality worked at that time.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Your magazine is a pre or early war (they quit making them in 42 due to cost), Mauser magazine. The WaA 63 mark is Mauser. Value? Call Simpsons. The biggest Luger dealer on the planet.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
What dcpd said, as for value they are commonly seen at the bigger shows in decent numbers, my opinion is $50-$100,the mauser version being fairly common in the market place,you will see them priced much higher but never selling.Its really a matter of finding the individual looking for one and what they are willing to pay.Lugers have been flat market wise since the market was flooded about 8 yrs ago with large numbers coming from Germany to the major auction houses.

Posts: 672 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it has a Kriegsmarine acceptance mark on it it will command an additional premium.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Reagen was in in office + the "evil empire" imploded we were getting Lugers (still in cosmoline from Russian warehouses along w/ 98's,etc. ) We were paying $300.00 ea for the Lugers at that time. $150.00 for the 98 Mausers still new packed in the grease.I bought all I could + sold them all,+ since hindsight is 20/20,I wished I had saved a few.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
My Dad used to collect WWII stuff including a few 9MM German Lugers. When going through some his old stuff, I found a Luger magazine, and I am trying to ascertain whether or not it is worth anything. The bottom of the magazine appears to be aluminum, and it has several markings on it. On top is stamped "8434". Below that is what looks like a lower case script "l", and below that is a "+" marking. At the bottom is stamped (what looks like) a tiny bird with outstretched wings and below that a tiny "63". Anyone out there know anything about these magazines that could help me out? I can send a photo via email to anyone interested.

It means it is an original mag delivered with pistol SN 8434; serial "i", it starts at 0001 a and switches to subsequent batch of 10.000 pieces with "b", the "+" indicates it was the second mag delivered with the pistol, that took place in the holster.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Your magazine is a pre or early war (they quit making them in 42 due to cost), Mauser magazine. The WaA 63 mark is Mauser. Value? Call Simpsons. The biggest Luger dealer on the planet.

Magazines were still made until 1945 and later for the French along with pistols (who bear a star to indicate it)

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ThanksI
did know the latter.

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info - I sold it on EBay for $100.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your sale.