New
Find
Notify
Tools

For sbhva and other HVA folks!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for clues as to the provenance of a Husqvarna that I bought yesterday. It's chambered in .270, which seems to point to after 1949, and I suspect it's a 'late pattern' Model 640. There is no thumb cut, the bolt is bent, and the HVA Crown logo is on the front (large) ring.

What has me puzzled is that, while it still has the 180 degree safety, it also has a flush rear bridge. The usual raised ridge at the forward edge of the rear bridge just isn't there, and it has never been drilled or tapped.

There is an 'ML' on the bottom of the recoil lug, and an 'A' on both the bottom of the action just behind the lug, and on the bottom of the tang. The only number on the action is a "51xx" which appears to be hand stamped on the bottom, just behind the lug. There is the usual serial number on the barrel (which is obviously original) which is unrelated to the number on the action. The number on the barrel is 1052xx.

The stock has a fairly 'full' forearm - not schnabel, and sort of oval/fat. There is no cheekpiece, and the wood is quite plain with mediocre checkering on the wrist and forearm.

Any clues as to what exactly I have here? [Confused] That 180 degree safety / flush rear bridge combination has me puzzled. Thanks in advance... [Smile]

Posts: 5725 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Further to my own thread; the bolt is not numbered -(I'm used to seeing the number on the bottom of the bolt handle!) but it has the flattened / checkered bottom on the bolt knob. When I get home, I'm going to try to post a few pics of this one...I sure hope it's not a mis-match of some sort, but in overall appearance it's "old / original / darn-near-unfired"... [Confused]

Posts: 5725 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
<sbhva>
posted
With that serial number it would be a commercial FN 98 action which would make it a model 640 in Sweden. I don't believe a commercial 98 action has the ridge you are talking about. Unfortunately, the FN guns are not really my area of expertise.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree. I have the same rifle in 9.3x62. Is the wood beech (read ugly)? That forearm is just like mine. The rear sight is a cheap looking stamped affair with the typical notched step elevation piece (like my old Benjamin pellet rifle!). Floorplate is not hinged, standard Mauser trigger, etc. In the US I believe they are called the 1950 Rifle. A local shop has a very clean one in 220 Swift. All said, mine is near new, a tack driver with every bullet I have tried and has about the smoothest bore I have ever owned.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<sbhva>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Ed:
I agree. I have the same rifle in 9.3x62. Is the wood beech (read ugly)? That forearm is just like mine. The rear sight is a cheap looking stamped affair with the typical notched step elevation piece (like my old Benjamin pellet rifle!). Floorplate is not hinged, standard Mauser trigger, etc. In the US I believe they are called the 1950 Rifle. A local shop has a very clean one in 220 Swift. All said, mine is near new, a tack driver with every bullet I have tried and has about the smoothest bore I have ever owned.

Hi Ed, I would be interested in contact info for the gun shop with the 220 Swift. An email would be appreaciated. sbhva@aol.com