New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser style shotgun?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found a guy who has a shotgun and doesn't know much about it. Bolt action shotgun (either 12 or 20 gauge?) Mauser style bolt with claw extractor and top safety, top load magazine, and one piece walnut stock. There is a round medalion on each side of the stock that reads, Geha. Made in germany is on the barrel and a serial number in front of the trigger gaurd. The gun is in pretty good shape with some surface rust on the barrel, but not to bad.
I called a gun dealer and he thought maybe some military mausers were converted into shotguns after the war.
Any idea's on this gun's history or value?
Thanks,

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a few Enfields that were converted to .410, but nothing bigger than that. Can you post a pic? I'd like to see it. Is it for sale?

Ryan

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of these! Same thing, one piece stock, round ghea medallion on each side of the stock. Mine is very light, long barrell. It is a '98 mauser converted to 12 gauge. I believe it holds 2 shots, one in the mag, one in the chamber. Also, if you look carefully, the front bolt lug recess has been drilled out. The only locking lug is the rear safety lug on the bolt, so you have a rear locking 2 shot shotgun. I haven't fired mine, I'm a little unsure of how safe the action is. I also haven't had a gunsmith check it out either. I don't know how much its worth, but converted mausers aren't that uncommon.
Dave

Posts: 163 | Location: Upstate, NY | Registered: 26 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it is exactly the same as yours Clement. You wouldn't have a photo of your shotgun would you?
Don't know if it's for sale. A guy my girlfriend works with has it. Belonged to his 99 year old grandpa who passed last year and he doesn't know anything about it. His grandpa was born in Germany. Thought it was a neat shotgun and not too bad a shape. Don't know if I'd fire it either.
How old would it be?

Shane Marquardt
sandenwood@centurytel.net

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine isn't for sale either. I don't have any other information on it either. I posted about it over at www.sixgunner.com, and basically found out that it was a converted '98 mauser. I supose it has to be younger than the action, so it's less than 104 years old [Big Grin] . I got mine from a great uncle who is now in a nursing home and doesn't remember anything about it either. No I don't have any photos. It looks nice though.
GHEA may have been a small time gunsmith producing these out of old mausers, either in Germany or the US. I havent been able to find any info on web searches. If you learn anything about these, please let me know.

Dave

Posts: 163 | Location: Upstate, NY | Registered: 26 June 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
There were two M-98 based shotguns. The Geha guns were made in the '20s in Germany as an entry level shotgun for poor folks. The Geha guns used military actions and military stocks and the hood over the top of the action, that serves as a cartridge guide, is screwed on.

The Remo and Remo II guns had stocks made from scratch, the hood was welded on and the magazine, feeding, and cartridge stop mechanisms are considerably better made.

Remo-II

I bought this one last year at a gun show for $200. It's a 16 gauge but they were made in 20 and 12 also.

They were all imported by an outfit in Chicago and sold for $17.50 for the Geha and $27.50 for the Remo.

Hope this helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great help guys. The shotgun I saw was the entry level one descibed by JBelk, not the fancier gun pictured. The bolt is very loose when it's opened. I don't know if this affects safe firing of the gun or not.
Thanks,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shane,

You might also see some references to that shotgun as the "Zulu".

American Rifleman had an article on them many years ago which essentially said, "Don't even think about shooting it."

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found a small ad about a quaint gun (in a way, a predecessor of the well-known Geha and Remo Mod. 98 shotgun conversions [Smile] ):
a Mauser Mod. 1871 rifle converted to 24 gauge shotgun.

Has anyone ever heard about this, or even shot one ? I found a brief notice in Olson's Mauser rifles, 3rd ed. 11th print. 1993, but this one mentions only 12 and 16 gauge conversions on p. 28.

And where in the world could one find ammo today - anybody know about another positive source than Fiocchi, who according to their website offer two loads (with 20 grams shot) ?

Regards and thanks,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello;
Check out "Bolt Action Rifles" 3rd edition by Frank De Haas, pages 296 to 299 for a detailed description and history of these. There seems to be some question of safety with these, according to Barnes since there is only a single locking lug and the guns are apparently easily fired without their bolt heads.
Griz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid (and WWII was yesterday's memory) a kid I knew had a Mauser I always took to be a war trophy. It looked for all the world like a 98 but he said he shot 410 shotshellls in it. I never thought about it until now. His name was Billy Bishop-funny I remember that.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
after the war the German government was only alloed to make hunting rifles so they converted some M98 into shotguns.

<Caledonian>
posted
The 1871 Mauser option is probably a safer and more practical one. You might even be able to make cases from Bertram or similar .500 Jeffery, though that is something few people are likely to want to invest in. You might get 24g. cases from the Old Western Scrounger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, the (unexpensive and excellent-condition) Mauser 1871 shotgun was already sold when I called to inquire. Feh !
:-(

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boondocker
posted Hide Post
This is interesting as I have an old mauser style shotgun that was my grandfathers. It was the farm gun that any relatives that showed up hunted with. I used it all the time when I was a kid. Three buck and a ton of rabbits. 16 gauge and the end of the barrel is paper thin it has been shot so much. I will post a pic when I dig it out of the safe. It doesnt have the fancy stock of the Remo nor do I think it is military and my 80 yr old aunt says it was there when she was very little. Boon

Posts: 647 | Location: Pa | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OWS does indeed have 24 ga. including brass CBC Magtech hulls. They are used to make .577 Snider and .577-450 Martini Henry ammo. It is Berdan primed, and Dangerous Dave has that, too.
The Snider round may work in your '71 Mauser conversion.
Ordinarily the Zulu term is for the Tabatiere conversions.
Cheers from Grayest California,
Ross

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote