New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parker 10 gauge?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Stopped in at a guns shop yesterday and see they still have this parker for sale with a reduced price. It said Parker Brothers on the receiver, side by side 10 gauge with exposed hammers and double triggers. Long barrels with fancy scrolling on them. Sign reads not to be fired with Damascus barrels. The butt stock has been nicely refinished, but not the forarm. Gun in in nice shape with a brown tint to the metal. Not mint, but no pits or anything major. Would look great above my mantle. Price isn't too bad, but what would a shotgun like this be worth? Things to look for? It's been there awile and I'll be going back to the shop this week.

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Found out the gun is a model T and serial # is 1390. Does that help anyone out?

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shane in WI:
Stopped in at a guns shop yesterday and see they still have this parker for sale with a reduced price. It said Parker Brothers on the receiver, side by side 10 gauge with exposed hammers and double triggers. Long barrels with fancy scrolling on them. Sign reads not to be fired with Damascus barrels. The butt stock has been nicely refinished, but not the forarm. Gun in in nice shape with a brown tint to the metal. Not mint, but no pits or anything major. Would look great above my mantle. Price isn't too bad, but what would a shotgun like this be worth? Things to look for? It's been there awile and I'll be going back to the shop this week.

A friend bought one for $700, which seems about right for good double hammer Parkers in 10 bore. It's tight and shootable, no cracks in the wood, all the hammers hold half and full cock w/o trouble, no dings it the barrels, pits smallish and the bores not worse than "gravel road" condition, then $700 would seem to be about right.

Assuming all the above such guns are a total hoot to shoot at clays or pheasants or what have you. I've shot my 10 bore Scott double hammer gun quite a bit this summer and fall. It's as deadly today as it was 135 ys ago when it was made, and as deadly as any modern gun is now.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might give the parker gun collectors association.com a try. Sounds like damascus barrels and I wouldnt shoot it without haveing a competant gunsmith look it over.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shane in WI:
Found out the gun is a model T and serial # is 1390. Does that help anyone out?

SN indicates it was made before 1874. I just posted a thread on mine, which was made in 1880.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was at the Concord NH gun show a few years ago. A fellow had a Parker hammerless 8 ga. for sale.
I must have gone over and looked at that gun a dozen times while I was there. I'm not a shotgun man, all in all, but that gun gave me a woody everytime I looked at it.