New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Deal You Ever Got On A Gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Back in the mid-70s I was stationed at a NATO base in southern Italy.

The Italian government had halted the sale of firearms at the base for several years until some paperwork was approved.

They finally gave the go ahead and the store started selling their existing inventory at the prices that were marked years before.

I bought a brand new Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in .7mm Wby for $334.00. It had the prettiest wood of any gun I have ever owned.

What's your greatest gun buy?

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, on a whim, I decided to take a trip to the local Cabelas to run the racks. Looking at used guns. Noticed a mauser of some sort. Picked it up and it turned out to be a g.33/40 variety in minty condition. the price was, if I recall correctly, around $250 including the sales tax. I still have it, but haven't figured out what to do with it.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, probably 25 years ago, I went into a pawn shop in Corsicana, Tx to look for a cheap truck shotgun. They had a 4 digit serial numbered 1911 in .38 super marked at $300.00. I told the guy all I had was $250.00 and he sold it to me for $250.00. I still have it and shoot it once in a while.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the Dallas Bass Pro shop closed down their fine gun room they began selling some of their inventory at a local gun show in what is Market Hall in Dallas.
I acquired a new Heym 88B 470 NE for $9K. It has a outstanding stock. You might call exhibition wood and no cheek piece.
I was in there early and about 5 people saw me pick it up with envy. There were some more 88B's as well but none with the quality of wood. They actually were asking $10,500.00. I said to much and then ask what I would give. I told them $9K
Probably could have got it for less.
Not sure what they go for new now??
EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Then we've all heard the fable about the guy who goes in the pawn shop + sees this dbl. + the clerk says,I don't know what it is,looks kinda like a 410 but I don't understand the calibre markings. All I can figure out is that it must be Dutch cause it says Holland + Holland. I'd take $100.00 just to get it out of the store.Would'nt we all like to fall in to a deal like that!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes life can be great!

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Well not really a collectible but I went to buy an early Savage 99 takedown in 250-3000 from a coworker. He threw in a 1917 Enfield that was sporterized I'm guessing sometime in the 1920's or 30's judging by the style. Enfields at the time didn't have the romance of the Springfields so he wasn't interested in it. So essentially I got it for free. I think I paid $150 for the Savage.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Then we've all heard the fable about the guy who goes in the pawn shop + sees this dbl. + the clerk says,I don't know what it is,looks kinda like a 410 but I don't understand the calibre markings. All I can figure out is that it must be Dutch cause it says Holland + Holland. I'd take $100.00 just to get it out of the store.Would'nt we all like to fall in to a deal like that!

Not from a pawn shop but I bought a H&H dominion for $150. Included was paperwork and calfskin case from H&H.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Stopped at a country gun store in 1997, bought a Winchester 94 Big Bore in 307 Winchester for $199.00 plus tax. There were less than 2000 of these made by Winchester

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Well I have bought a lot of firearms for ridiculously low prices, but though not a fancy shotgun, I bought a new Valmet Lion 12 gauge O/U, single trigger, barrel selector, with extractors for $105-00, and though it was plain, it turned out to be the best dove gun I have ever owned, and still have it today, after 55 years, and though I have some fine shotguns I still grab this one when I head out for dove season.

……………………………………………………. clap old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There have been a few.One 99 Savage in .303 w/tang sight that I picked up on my way out of a gun show for $150.00 + 10 boxes of ammo @ $10.00 ea.,a 1939 DWM Luger 100% w/ clamshell holster marked 1935 Berlin w/ extra mag + td tool for $450.00.+ others. I have a shotgun that is special to me that was offered to my by an old hunting buddy (old is right,he was born in 1913).He offered me a S/S 12G. Ugarchea splinter forend/straight butt for $350.00.I told him there was supposed to be another 0 at the end of the price but he insisted + I did'nt let him twist my arm too long. Now how about the ones that got away? I had a neighbor who was anti guns that saw no reason,blah,blah. But he had an M1 carbine he wanted to sell for $50.00 (this has been 30 years ago) but I said sure.After I bought it he said I might have something else you might be interested in. He brought out an original 1861 Colt w/ holster + asked me if I would give $50.00 for that one as well.Seems it was his great grandpas pistol when working as a sheriff in west Texas back in the day.I told him sure that I would pay that for that pistol but then I asked him.Do you have any relatives that might be interested in this revolver? He said he'ed ask around. Most likely sold it to the next guy that came around. I regret the aquisition but not my actions.I like to believe that there is still installed in some semblance of honesty + moral in the human race.Not some base turpitude.We all want to make a good deal but for me,I just hope he passed it on to a relative that would appreciate the heritage. I also hope he did'nt sell it to the next guy that came along for $50.00. At least my concience is clean.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got to typing too fast. 1851 Colt 36 cal.Moot point but now accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 12 years ago I was at the Austin gun show + picked up an AR upper 10" bbl.that I found out after I got home was selective.The help working the booth did'nt know + I was just thinking about a home defense piece.When I saw what I had (for $200.00) I took it back to the dealer next month + he was eternally grateful.Saved everyone a bunch of headaches.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've told this tale before but in the 70's when APD was transitioning over to semi autos from revolvers they had a dbl. table booth at the Austin Convention Center + were selling EVERYTHING for $150.00 ea.In my stupidity at that time I elected to wait until the next show;you know the rest.Several years later when the gun show was done monthly at the Crockett Convention Center,I started to do business w/ Cactus Mike who was DPS retired + was selling off DPS revolvers. I would buy at least one a month + as I bought on a regular basis he gave me a lot of smoking deals.I've given them all away now to kids + their spouses,+ women that I know that feel a need of self defense (but ONLY after they come to my range + go under instruction + prove they are capable).

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
An old geezer from a small mountain town in the Umpqua Basin of southern Oregon sold me a Second Model .50 Maynard for $300 some years ago. It was in very good shape and just a ball to shoot. Sold it for four times what I paid -- which is highly unusual for me as I try to make a point of consistency to lose money on every firearm I sell -- hilbily -- but I miss it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,that reminds me of a joke I read in the Brownell's newsletter several years ago. 2 gunsmiths go into business + decide that to really make it they will sell everything at a $1.00 under cost.Well they made it for a year before they went belly up. The one says to the other,"I know what we did wrong. We did'nt advertise enough."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A true story from olde England:

A friend of mine had a contact with the Metropolitan Police of London about 1995, and heard that the police force were changing over to semi-auto pistols. So he bought 200 of their leather holsters for £1.00 each, that about $1.60 then.

The year after the British pistol ban was enacted after a shooting in Scotland. All pistols and accessories had to be handed in, but compensation was paid. The standard rate for a holster was £10.00, so he sold all 200 BACK to the Police making £9 x 200 = £1800 profit.....

The wisdom of governments...

HB

Posts: 83 | Location: Olde England | Registered: 03 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the ONLY good story I've heard about the confiscation issue, except the guys that were picking up cheap, cheap pistols + selling to the roundup cops for twice what they paid for them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in 1981 I bought a Walther PP Sport in .22lr with 8" barrel and larger target grips. It was 20 years old, but never used, and I paid £65 for it.

When the pistol ban cam in in 1996 They looked it up on their list and paid me £710 for it.

But I would rather have it now, and the others...

Posts: 83 | Location: Olde England | Registered: 03 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True words there. I have an S+W 2nd model H.E. in 45 L.C. that has the hash stamps from the WW2 lend-lease program. This one actually made it home. I picked it up at a gun show for $400.00 a few years ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My story is I was shooting pool at the pool hall.
A guy I had known for some time ask if I would trade my pool cue for his Sako Finnbear .270.
I had seen the rifle years ago, so now I'm looking for a new cue.

Posts: 2662 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GroundsKpr
posted Hide Post
Before he passed my father in law gave me a 1853 Tower his grandfather used in the civil war as well as a Walther P-38 in holster with German 9-m ammunition still in it he had literally ripped from the belt of an Officer at the end of the war

They say the older you get the wiser you get---Trust me it's easier to get older.

Posts: 65 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A buddy told me a story that happened several years ago in a Huntsville gun store. He was just looking around when this obviously German fellow while looking in the used glass case of pistols sees this P-08 (Luger), + shouts out for all to hear. "This gun is stolen!" The store owner asks what he means + the kraut replies, "No German officer would ever surrender his weapon so this gun is stolen!" The store owner said, "Look, Fritz, I know this Lugers not stolen because I took it myself, right after I shot the Nazi sonofabitch."

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I bought a Luftwaffe drilling at a local gun show. It was cased with all of the accessories, paperwork, ammo, test target, cleaning tools, etc. All original. Case felt lining was human hair(!)--a doctor told me this upon examination. The price on the tag: $500.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was Goering's idea to equip pilots with a drilling in the cockpit. I recommend for good reading "The life Of Adolph Galland" by Constance + Toliver. Regardless of anything else Cal, that was quite a snag on a drilling.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Not high end, but got a Weatherby Vanguard 2 in 30-06 for $249 on Walmart clearance. Year or so before that got a Ruger American in 30-06 for $199

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bought a Savage 99 Tang safety in 358 Win with scope for $265 from a lady in Anchorage. Nice rifle.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the other side, several years ago I bought a S/S at a pawn shop + put it in the rifle rack of the pickup before meeting the Snap-On tool man's truck. When the asked what was in my gun rack, I knew I had him. I said it was just some old side by side that I really didn't understand the writing on the barrel as it was in caliber instead of the gauge. The only thing I could figure out was that it must have been Dutch because it said Holland + Holland. I gave the pawn shop guy $150.00 for it. He had a cow.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I’ve been on the other side of one of these. Guy brought up a browning BAR that was mismarked $500 UNDER our cost. He proceeds to tell me how he could FORCE me to sell it to him and that he was being such a nice guy for telling me, “But I could FORCD you to sell it to me for that.” I said, “well, if you had the money, you would have already bought it. Since you don’t, I’ll take it back and mark it with the right price.” He complained to the manager and said I “humiliated” him at the gun counter. Wanted to kick the bastard in the teeth. The lesson: just buy the goddamn gun.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not high end, but got a Weatherby Vanguard 2 in 30-06 for $249 on Walmart clearance. Year or so before that got a Ruger American in 30-06 for $199

Yes, two of my sons have purchased a number of Weatherbys from WalMart for ridiculous prices! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I bought 15-20 Tower and other make British single shots from Afghanistan for $50.

I sold all of them for $300-600.

I have very rarely gotten super great deals on firearms.

My goal is to buy something I am happy with for a reasonable price.

I bought a contender on here from a guy a few months ago $300. It had issues, and I dropped it off at Cabelas and they gave me $350 which was $25 more than I had in the pistol and transfer fees. Not sure how you can do better than that.

I bought a Blaser 9.3x64R S-2 in Spain for $3500, and traded it to a gunshop in Wyoming for about 6 or 7 pieces worth $4500.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Traded a $200 Parker-Hale 1200 .308 for three Walter late 1950's match airguns. a rifle and two pistols , sold the rifle for $750, still have and use the pistols value at $400 each.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And on the flip side of this + my own stupidity, 3 years ago I went to a gun show + the guy had a Colt 1903 Officers special for $250.00. I thought I would walk around + come back later. WRONG! When you see a bargain (+ it's getting rarer as time goes on) grab it ASAP. I know that I have beaucoup of gun bargains in my vault but deals are like money + sex 'can you REALLY ever get enough?'

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
On those kind of deals? I'm not talking. But Norman Conquest knows about one. He's a true gentleman. Be Well, Packy, direct from the Packrattusnongratus Ranch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Packy, back at cha

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are certainly not record breakers, but I recently got two better than decent buys. First is a fully restored Model 1885 Winchester built in 1888 that some highly skilled restorer did. I expect it to be worth at least $3500 and I paid $1800. The other is a Model 1890 Winchester .22 pump that is completely original and super clean. From what I've seen on Guns International I would expect this one is worth $1200. I paid $800 and got two boxes of antique cartridges with it.

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walking around a local gun show I saw an out of town dealer with an entire row of tables and a trainload of nice rifles. I don't know why it caught my eye but there was a SAKO Vixen Hunter in 6mm PPC. The tag was marked $1100 with a B&L Balvar 6X-24X scope. I ran around looking for a friend who is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to gun values. He told me he wasn't too familiar with SAKO prices, but thought that $900-$1000 seemed reasonable. I went back to the long row of tables and picked up the rifle and offered $700. I ended up paying $700 out the door and brought home the most accurate rifle I'd ever owned to that point

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glock 20 snd Glock 21 during Covid. I paid full retail but I paid in 22lr ammo that I bought in 2010 at $.03 a round and got paid $.18 a round for 10 year old rimfire ammo.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Two of 'em stand out.

Winchester 52-B full bull barrel $800 unmolested.

Remington 870 marine magnum $250

Oh, and of course a S&B Police Sniper in as new condition 1.5-6x42 with turrets, a modified #4reticle with windage hashes and Warne QDs for $600.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good deals

It is all about the time period you buy them.

Posts: 19312 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote