THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN COLLECTING FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Documenting previous owner...(paperwork)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Happy Wednesday everyone

I was picked to inherit a handful of firearms from a well known rancher/cowboy from Wyoming. I want to have paperwork showing that the guns are from the man instead of just "hearsay" like what most gun show tables try to do. (Was once owned by...etc)

I was going to make a book with historical photos of the guns as well as current photos of the guns. And wanted to do a few letters that are notarized by the grand daughter showing their authenticity. What else can I do to add historical value to have with the guns?

I do plan on at least shooting and hunting with a few...

I'd like to do this while I have a close family tie around to the original owner.

Any added input would be great. I've never bought guns with much known history, but want as much as I can to be in writing to stay with these firearms forever.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You already mentioned photos but any photos that you can get of the owner with the guns and hopefully using them would be great. I think a photo with the relative standing alongside the collection would also be beneficial. Maybe even a photo with you init as well. What a fun project. Good luck.

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe he or his wife kept receipts from when they bought them? Anything like that helps.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses, I'll see what I can come up with next time I'm up there

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Best of luck, if we are talking about the same cowboy there is a potential for $$$

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even well-documented provenance of a "famous" owner usually will still buy you a cup of coffee if put with $2 in some places. The level of fame of the owner has to be very high in order to enhance the value of a firearm. "Famous in some circles" usually won't do it.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Even well-documented provenance of a "famous" owner usually will still buy you a cup of coffee if put with $2 in some places. The level of fame of the owner has to be very high in order to enhance the value of a firearm. "Famous in some circles" usually won't do it.

That's true. They were inducted into the Cowboy hall of fame..so there is a chance that even if it doesn't add value...the Cody Firearms Museum would like them if I passed away (and could prove to them where they came from)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt that Cody will pay for them. They will expect a donation.

Posts: 62 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lowgun:
I doubt that Cody will pay for them. They will expect a donation.

Museums expect you to give them stuff.

Even pay for shipping ect.

I had some rare airplane items for sale.

I was contacted by a museum about them I told them the price and were they were.

Said come and get them.

They said we thought you would just donate them then arrange for delivery.

I did find a buyer who truly wanted them.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Indeed! Abiut 20 years ago my partner who worked for me here in the shop was a big electronics dweeb that was into all that stuff. When he died his office was packed with stuff still in the cartons with price tags from Radio Shack, etc. I needed to clean out the office so I called Habitat for Humanities + told them they could have the lot + they said, bring it by + we'll look at it + see if we're interested. Not today bud! So I loaded up my P.U. (it filled the bed) with all those parts + went to Goodwill. They wouldn't take them so I just went back to the shop + threw them all in the dumpster. What a waste. I must admit that this was before the internet market + back then I didn't even have a computer.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
interesting (?) side note. i recently sent the $10 each to ruger to verify a 1967 made ruger super blackhawk 44 mag (been fired 12x) and a ruger blackhawk 45 colt made 1972, with a brass frame from the factory. they came back stating both were 44 mag. i called ruger and explained that back in "the day" ruger revolvers serial #s (probably some exceptions, i dunno) had the caliber as the first 2 numbers. and i'm talking about the 45 colt here. the superblack hawk wasn't in that catagory. the 45 colt # was 45-19xxx. she checked, came back on, said oops we goofed, it certainly was shipped as a 45 colt brass frame in 1972.a replacement letter is on the way. so...thats my story and i'm sticking to it.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote