The Accurate Reloading Forums
Documenting previous owner...(paperwork)

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1221043/m/7681032362

10 December 2020, 00:09
Buglemintoday
Documenting previous owner...(paperwork)
Happy Wednesday everyone

I was picked to inherit a handful of firearms from a well known rancher/cowboy from Wyoming. I want to have paperwork showing that the guns are from the man instead of just "hearsay" like what most gun show tables try to do. (Was once owned by...etc)

I was going to make a book with historical photos of the guns as well as current photos of the guns. And wanted to do a few letters that are notarized by the grand daughter showing their authenticity. What else can I do to add historical value to have with the guns?

I do plan on at least shooting and hunting with a few...

I'd like to do this while I have a close family tie around to the original owner.

Any added input would be great. I've never bought guns with much known history, but want as much as I can to be in writing to stay with these firearms forever.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"
17 December 2020, 10:26
bghntr416
You already mentioned photos but any photos that you can get of the owner with the guns and hopefully using them would be great. I think a photo with the relative standing alongside the collection would also be beneficial. Maybe even a photo with you init as well. What a fun project. Good luck.
20 December 2020, 06:17
Biebs
Maybe he or his wife kept receipts from when they bought them? Anything like that helps.
21 December 2020, 04:46
Buglemintoday
Thanks for the responses, I'll see what I can come up with next time I'm up there

29 December 2020, 12:16
NormanConquest
Best of luck, if we are talking about the same cowboy there is a potential for $$$

Never mistake motion for action.
30 December 2020, 04:38
Stonecreek
Even well-documented provenance of a "famous" owner usually will still buy you a cup of coffee if put with $2 in some places. The level of fame of the owner has to be very high in order to enhance the value of a firearm. "Famous in some circles" usually won't do it.
11 January 2021, 02:51
Buglemintoday
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Even well-documented provenance of a "famous" owner usually will still buy you a cup of coffee if put with $2 in some places. The level of fame of the owner has to be very high in order to enhance the value of a firearm. "Famous in some circles" usually won't do it.

That's true. They were inducted into the Cowboy hall of fame..so there is a chance that even if it doesn't add value...the Cody Firearms Museum would like them if I passed away (and could prove to them where they came from)

24 August 2021, 04:18
lowgun
I doubt that Cody will pay for them. They will expect a donation.
27 August 2021, 14:43
p dog shooter
quote:
Originally posted by lowgun:
I doubt that Cody will pay for them. They will expect a donation.

Museums expect you to give them stuff.

Even pay for shipping ect.

I had some rare airplane items for sale.

I was contacted by a museum about them I told them the price and were they were.

Said come and get them.

They said we thought you would just donate them then arrange for delivery.

I did find a buyer who truly wanted them.
28 August 2021, 09:32
NormanConquest
Indeed! Abiut 20 years ago my partner who worked for me here in the shop was a big electronics dweeb that was into all that stuff. When he died his office was packed with stuff still in the cartons with price tags from Radio Shack, etc. I needed to clean out the office so I called Habitat for Humanities + told them they could have the lot + they said, bring it by + we'll look at it + see if we're interested. Not today bud! So I loaded up my P.U. (it filled the bed) with all those parts + went to Goodwill. They wouldn't take them so I just went back to the shop + threw them all in the dumpster. What a waste. I must admit that this was before the internet market + back then I didn't even have a computer.

Never mistake motion for action.
22 September 2021, 02:10
john c.
interesting (?) side note. i recently sent the $10 each to ruger to verify a 1967 made ruger super blackhawk 44 mag (been fired 12x) and a ruger blackhawk 45 colt made 1972, with a brass frame from the factory. they came back stating both were 44 mag. i called ruger and explained that back in "the day" ruger revolvers serial #s (probably some exceptions, i dunno) had the caliber as the first 2 numbers. and i'm talking about the 45 colt here. the superblack hawk wasn't in that catagory. the 45 colt # was 45-19xxx. she checked, came back on, said oops we goofed, it certainly was shipped as a 45 colt brass frame in 1972.a replacement letter is on the way. so...thats my story and i'm sticking to it.