Find
Notify
Tools

Gevarm
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted
Just wondering here. I have a gevarm my dad gave to me as a kid, he bought it new in the 70s. It's is in prefect working order and I have the small and large clips for it. It's been used but never messed with. I don't even take it hunting anymore just for show now but what's the ball park on it's value?

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't have papers on it, maybe 20 years? Frowner

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There used to be an assembly plant in Saskatoon back in the day, so there are a fair amount of them around here. Value follows condition and without knowing that...........

Original mags will often go for 75-100 bucks, so you have that much going for you.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gevarm, Unique, MAB, all these French gun makers all now gone. Some quirky stuff but some excellent stuff.

Ammunition makers like Gevelot. Gone also.

I had a MAB P-15 and that was at its time the largest capacity pistol available in 9mm Parabellum.

I still have my Maufrance Model 28E easy opening boxlock ejector s/b/s in 16 bore.

And just acquired a Unique X-51bis. Had the scope for it for years and even found the correct silencer in a gunshop in London.

All French weapons merit preserving.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted Hide Post
All my firearms are fully registered and legal so no concerns there. Like i said just wondering the value.

one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if you're referring to the 22 rifle or not, but if that's the case, I saw one for sale in a shop for around $425 a couple months ago.

Seemed to be in nice shape. I thought that was a good price. I wasn't sure about future parts availability for them so I passed.

They look solid, not sure that's a huge concern, but you never know...
This was an open bolt semi-auto.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted Hide Post
Yes that's what I have. It's a real shooter too but now it's just there for the memories well maybe to the range on ocation. I'm not sure could enen break on it pretty straight forward design.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Great little guns the Gevarm. Fire from an open bolt and most are very accurate due in part I think to the excellent two point ignition from the rimfire (full width 'firing pin' across the bolt face hits on diametric opposite sides of the case head).
They are adjustable for shooting sub-sonic or high velocity ammo and do handle sub-sonic very well.
Not many parts in them so very reliable when kept clean like any semi-auto.

They go for good prices here when coming up for sale on the second hand market.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
There was another Gevarm .22 as well, which fired from a closed bolt and had a one-piece stock with a schnabel fore end. I know the one you mention, though, eagle 27. It had a textured receiver and a bloke I know used to put a match in the trigger to make it fully automatic. While I never saw the dearer one, it had a better reputation for accuracy, if only because of the shorter lock time.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
There was another Gevarm .22 as well, which fired from a closed bolt and had a one-piece stock with a schnabel fore end. I know the one you mention, though, eagle 27. It had a textured receiver and a bloke I know used to put a match in the trigger to make it fully automatic. While I never saw the dearer one, it had a better reputation for accuracy, if only because of the shorter lock time.

I have a copy of a page from an old catalogue advertising the Gevarm 22 semi automatics. There were three models advertised; the A3, A6 and E1.

The E1 is the take down carbine while both the A3 and A6 have one piece stocks with the schnabel fore-end. The advertising for each model says it has no firing pin and no extractor so it seems they must have all have fired from an open bolt position.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
That may be true, eagle27. I never got to handle any one-piece stock model. However, now you mention A3 and A6, the number A7 comes to mind. Was there such a model and could that be the one we saw in Australia that fired with a closed bolt?

PS: I have just googled that model, and see that there was at least such an animal and it looked like the one Fullers used to sell.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sorry eagle27 but the A7 does exist. It was their high-end model according to a guy on one forum and came with chequering and high recommendation.

Check it out for yourself.

There is even YouTube footage, which should show how it works - except it was not available when I tried to view it a few minutes ago.

For all I know it does still work from an open bolt.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Sorry eagle27 but the A7 does exist. It was their high-end model according to a guy on one forum and came with chequering and high recommendation.

Check it out for yourself.

There is even YouTube footage, which should show how it works - except it was not available when I tried to view it a few minutes ago.

For all I know it does still work from an open bolt.

Can be confusing as the two quotes below show, one from a gunsmith expert and another from an owner of a few Gevarms.

"The Gevarm A7 is the high end version of the A6 semi-auto 22 caliber rifle. It fires from an open bolt, has a 1 piece stock and an 8 round magazine. There are also 20 round magazines available. They are produced in St. Etienne, France."

"The other three LOOK similar (A3, A6, and A7) because they all have a one-piece wooden stock, but have some differences. The A7 is the only one of the three which fires on a CLOSED BOLT. It has the separate firing pin, extractor, etc.."

I would agree that the particular A7 model shown firing in the U Tube video is firing from a closed bolt position.

When searching the subject there are quite a few owners who own two or more of the various Gevarm models including the A7 but not one mentions that the A7 operates differently than the others. Maybe there were variants of the A7 but for manufacturing purposes where all other models of the Gevarm fire on an open bolt, to produce one model with a separate firing pin and extractor seems quite strange. Then stranger things do happen in life Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this is true or not, but back when they were commonly available in Canada, I remember being told that the fire-from-closed-bolt version (which came last) was made and marketed because various governments frowned on how easily the open-bolt-firing ones were converted illegally to full-auto...Especially as there were a number of gadgets one could make which would disable the interrupter, and which were simple "drop-in"/pick out" gizmos which could be placed in the rifle or taken out in mere seconds either way.

I know I did not buy one because the Government of Canada was considering putting them on the "restricted" list in the very late 60s/early '70s. And I didn't want a .22 rifle which required a special permit to transport it to and from any "approved range" and couldn't be legally used anywhere else (other than the "home quarter" even if you owned a 10-section grain farm...one section is one square mile). Can you imagine owning a .22 rifle which you could use to shot vermin around the farmhouse, but couldn't take to kill rats or other undesirables at your granaries or barns/tool sheds/whatever if they were even one acre away from the home 1/4-section (the 160 acre piece on which the farm house sat)?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote