New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 22 H.P Model 1899
 Login/Join

<ROBERT>
posted
I was wondering if anyone can give information on this rifle. I have aquired one and would like some history on it. Is there still brass available? etc.
any help will be great.
Rob.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll let someone else tell you about the history of the .22 H.P. As far as brass goes, Norma makes brass cases for the .22 H.P. as well as loaded ammunition. Brass can be formed from .25-35 cases, or any of the .30-30 family of cases; I have done this and all that is involved is to run a .25-35 case into a .22 H.P. sizing die. Hornady makes a 70 grain bullet for the .22 H.P. (diameter is .227"). The bore diameter of the .22 H.P. is .227". I have used the 64 grain Winchester P.P. (diameter is .224")with good accuracy. I have also used the Speer 70 grain round nose (diameter is .224") also with good accuracy.
Ken Waters in his "Pet Loads" has a very good article on the .22 H.P.
I believe that the .22 H.P. was originally designed as a cartridge that could be used on varmits and up to deer sized game.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert,
The savage .22 Hi-power is really, a piece of shit. Why do you think they quit making it. Indians and Inuit, once they use up the ammo,(making button holes in leather)they use them as a crow bar. Having one that hasen't been used as a crowbar or an ice pick would have some collecter value, I guess. [Frown] Plus it takes a certain amount of skill to kill with this cartrige. In light of this, I would highly sujest that you cut your losses and get rid of it.(along with your p.o.s 308) Don't fret over this. Maby you know someone that has 'good skill' and knows some Inuit and Indians and sell it to him? Heck, give it away?( you'll sleep better at night)

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<ROBERT>
posted
[Eek!] Dear Yukoner. There seam to be some kind of anger problem with your post. It is a good thing you live just far enough north that now one really cares about your opinon. I guess living that far north you donot have to be nice to anyone. I guess looking after the kids must be hard some days. I hope you can deal with your anger problems one day. Maybe there are some doctors on this forum that can help you. LOL LOL.
Rob. [Wink] [Wink] [Razz] [Razz] [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert;
Is the 1899 you have a take down model?
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow where did that guy come from!!! The .22hp is a neat little rifle. Usefull maybe not too, but fun as are most of the rest of the guns us collectors have.

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
<ROBERT>
posted
SJC1. I noticed that the front wood comes off and when you look at the barrel. There is a arrow on the barrel with the word off. I tryed to turn the barrel by hand seam real tight. Sprayed it down with G96 to see if it will come loose.
I just got this gun two days ago. hope to learn
more about it. I would like to shoot it also.
Rob. [Smile]

<ROBERT>
posted
SXr6. Just to let you know. Daryl has been a life long friend of mine. He likes to get me going and plays all kinds of jokes. I have hunted with him all my hunting life. He has bugged me for years to sell my 308 sako to him. But I will
never give in. There was no hard felling from his post just life long freinds having fun. He also wants this 22hp.
Rob. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

<ROBERT>
posted
Sjc1. After soaking the threaded end with G96 for about two hours. The barrel turned out with no problem. Yes this is the take down model. Learn something every day. Thanks
Rob.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What you probably have is the Savage model 99F, made from 1920(?) to 1940. A very desirable rifle. The .22 HP is a very interesting cartridge. Also, Sellior and Belliot (not sure of the spelling) makes ammunition for the .22 HP.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a takedown Savage .22 Highpower that also has a factory 410 shotgun barrel! Shotshells have to be single loaded. The rifle has a tang sight and the old rotary magazine. Neat old gun, but not real accurate. Crowbar indeed! Regards, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
<ROBERT>
posted
Thanks for the info guys. I am going to try to find dies and brass etc. for this gun next week at are gun show. Anyone else with some good loads or experince with this gun.
Thanks again. Rob. [Big Grin] [Smile]

<500 Nitro>
posted
Robert,
Good to hear about your 22HP pick up. I also have a TakeDown model like yours.
Could you post the Serial Number of your Savage ? (or email me).
The serial no on mine is 127395, made I believe Circa 1912 currently doing research on mine).
500 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert i also have the fortune to run across this fine the little rifle alot of fun to shoot mine is circa 1915 you can check the date af manufacture at www.savage99.com have fun

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
<ROBERT>
posted
Thanks nitro & tbear.
The serial number is 123284 it has 1899 stamped on the barrel with several paton #s.. I ran that number with the savage site you posted tbear. It came up with 1912. But I could not find were it was built.
I am really enjoying the history on this so far.
Thanks Robert

one of us
posted Hide Post
Email janehal@yahoo.com I have some loaded ammo in original boxes somewhere....let me know if you are going to shoot and I will dig them up......thanks Hal

Posts: 93 | Location: Evart Mich USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert i used to have a web site that gave all the info on where they were made but the comp crashed awhile back i can't find it if i do i will let you know have fun

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage Corporation was located in Utica, N.Y. from their incorporation until 1947. From 1947 until 1960 they were located in Chicopee Falls, Mass. From 1960 until the present they have been in Westfield, Mass.

<ROBERT>
posted
sjc1 I noticed you though that the model # of the rifle i have was maybe a 99f. Were did you
find the information on the different models of that year of gun? 1912.
Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert,
I got the information from the 7th. edition of "The Catalog of Firearms" by Krause Publishing. I also have a takedown Model 99 in .22 HP, Griffin & Howe sidemount with a Norman Ford 2 1/2X scope. I put a (?) after the 1920 date because I believe that the 99F was introdued before 1920. My 99 was made in 1915. Great little rifle for a fine cartridge.

<ROBERT>
posted
sjc1 I will look for more info on this gun. I was wondering if anyone has photo of 22hp round
or measurements. I would like to see this round.
Thanks Robert. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
This site don't have the 22 hp but if some one has info they could put it in.This site has many others you might want to look up http://www.calweb.com/~haas/ammoguide/runammo.html hope this helps

one of us
posted Hide Post
For some loads data for the .22HP try:
Steve's page .22HP

one of us
posted Hide Post
The proper Take down procedure is to remove forestock, align that useless square looking hole with your barrel lug & WITH THE ACTION OPEN, I should stress that, twist barrel using forestock to remove. Enjoy your HP, my young lad carried 1 this deer season to attempt a deer from his tree stand.

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
<ROBERT>
posted
Went to gun show and sale this weekend. I found one box of ammo NORMA 5.6 52R. I will try to get out to the range if the weather holds to try this sweet gun. I will let you know how it turns out.
Rob. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]